Uhm, so ya hi. =)

Options
Hi ! My name is Emily and I'm the wonderful age of 20 :) I have been a member of this site for a few months now. I haven't been logging very much, but I`m ready to start!
I Have been overweight my WHOLE life, and I'm tired of it! I want to be healthy!!!!
My family has a long history of Heart disease and diabetes and I DO NOT intend on being apart of that.
Pretty much I'm writing this post so that i can make some new friends and help myself get a support system in place so that I don`t give up on myself like every other time I have started a 'weight loss journey'.
I have recently joined a gym so I`m pretty excited about that, not I just have to learn some work outs and find the time to go!
I'm on my feet at work for an average of 30 hours a week at work and then not too much activity outside of work because i'm so tired !

Does anyone have any advice ?

Thanks =)
Emily.

Replies

• Cristin2934
    Cristin2934 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I recently joined Fitness Pal and a gym as well. I have a similar story with weight and family health. My advice is go to the gym even when every part of you screams no. It's tough going to the gym after work but it's a must. It will be hard at first but you have to get through it. I joined the gym last month. I go 4-5 times a week. I started doing 15 min. miles on the treadmill. Today I did a mile in 6 min. I promise the pain is worth the payoff! Good luck!
  • EmilyDawn1111
    EmilyDawn1111 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) I'm going Tomorrow before work even if it kills me !
  • mikeymoney
    mikeymoney Posts: 37
    Options
    Emily only you can take control no one else. Stick to it. Great decision you made
  • AceyFace87
    AceyFace87 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello, Emily! I am in the same boat! Also 20! I find that it works best when you can find a creative way to get your workouts in! FOr me, I have to work out as soon as I have the time. If I don't then I will tend to ignore it. So, even if you can just do some leg lifts or squats or something at work, you can get a good workout!
  • cjenningsrn
    Options
    Hi Emily,
    I just started MFP about a month ago. The thing helping me the most is writing down everything I am eating. I always just figured, " oh, a yogurt is healthy or if I just ate fruit all day it had to be okay". Man, what a wake up! I wasn't eating cheeseburgers, but i was definitely not eating healthy. Getting into to the habit of regular exercise is rough in the beginning, but now I feel sluggish if I don't move somehow each day. I also really enjoy talking to people who consider themselves to be in the same boat too! I have a long way to go , but I'm just looking at it like an adventure. Nice to meet you!
  • EmilyDawn1111
    EmilyDawn1111 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone :) feel free to add me :)
  • pelejarn
    pelejarn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you given P90X a try? Its very intense, but it doesnt take long if you dont break too much. The other great thing is you can do it home. I am on week 3 again. I did the program 2 years ago but I hurt my wrist playing hockey. Just started it up again. Another great thing is the diet is pretty easy to stick to. The whole program is meant to keep you motivated. You can add me if you like. BTW I'm 33.
  • ziade03
    ziade03 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Emily.
    I understand being too tired to workout. I’m 34 years old with 5 children (12, 10,10, 5, 2) and I’m a full-time student. However, I had to realize being “too tired” was just another excuse. I have learned, through trial and error, to work in 45 minute workouts, 4 times a week. Remember, the more you workout, the more energy you will have and it will become less challenging as time goes on. I would suggest taking the time to try different methods (type, time, and where you exercise, what foods make you feel the best, adjusting your bedtime, etc.) see what works for you. Personally, I did not find success in the gym. I found it way too time consuming (driving, daycare for the kids, waiting for machines, etc.). I have also had 5 abdominal surgeries, so I am limited on the kind of exercises I can do. However, I have found a wonderful workout that I can do at home. “Leslie Sansone, Walk at Home.” I walk 4 miles, 4 days a week. You can YouTube Leslie and find a variety of programs. Also, I would suggest throwing the scale out. I have gained weight according to the scale, but I have lost inches. I can see the physical changes in my body, as well as my husband, but, every time I got on that damn scale I would be discourage and quit. And, don’t forget that it’s about being active. When I get on my OCD kicks of cleaning my house or car for 6 hours, I have definitely burned more calories in one of those activities than any treadmill. :) Lastly, don’t forget this is a lifestyle change. It’s not just about losing weight; it’s about being healthy as well! You’re going to have good and bad days. You didn’t put the weight on overnight and you’re not going to lose it overnight. You’re not in competition with anyone; pace yourself, and enjoy the process of creating a new lifestyle. Best Wishes!!
  • Skyebella27
    Options
    Hi! I just started on Saturday and have lots to lose! Sent you a friend request!