Eating exercise calories after 8 pm

Options
I run on the treadmill 4/5 times a week, and am halfway through training for a half-marathon. I just ran 7 miles on the treadmill yesterday. The best time for me to run is normally between 8-9 pm. The problem is that I am normally STARVING after I work out. And it is late. Sometimes close to 10 pm. I have enough exercise calories to eat - that's not the problem - but I am worried that eating after 8 pm, sometimes close to 10, is going to hurt my overall weight loss. I want to lose about 20-25 pounds.

Replies

• sorellew
    sorellew Posts: 8
    Options
    What do you guys think?
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    The "no food after such and such time" is a myth. I have a snack nearly every night at around 9pm and have had absolutely no problem losing a lot of fat.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Some people prefer not to eat late but I don't think there is a huge amount of evidence to say that eating late would significantly inhibit weight loss. I've lost 40lbs eating whenever I like and fairly often that includes a snack before bedtime.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It is fine to eat up to the time you go to bed. I do not recommend eating while sleeping. Choking hazard.
  • kirstyfairhead
    kirstyfairhead Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It is fine to eat up to the time you go to bed. I do not recommend eating while sleeping. Choking hazard.

This. lol :laugh:
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options

:laugh: Seriously, though, meal timing has no bearing on weight loss. Eat up!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I got 600 calories waiting on me to go to bed tonight...... Meal frequency has no bearing unless you have a medical reason like acid reflux, etc..... Eat them if you have the calories... Best of Luck
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    The time of day (or night) really makes no difference. If you don't like the feeling of being too full late at night, or right before bed, taking a shake along with you and drinking it right after your workout or on the way home is very helpful.
  • RunningActor
    RunningActor Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    As long as you are still under your net goal, go for it. I don't eat (much) after 9 because I feel groggy in the morning if I do, but that's me.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Honey Badger don't care when he eats and neither should you!

Unless it has an affect on the quality of your sleep. That's the only reason not to eat late.
  • DazedBlonde
    Options
    As an easy answer, I think that as long as you are burning more calories than you consume in a day, you will ultimately lose weight.

However, the amount of food you eat and the time you eat it can play a part in the efficiency of your metabolism. It is important to have a good breakfast and lunch to boost your metabolism, which will make your body naturally burn more calories throughout the day.

I've noticed that I feel hungry much earlier after my post-workout meals than after eating something when I haven't worked out. I think it's because my body is burning the calories more efficiently after a workout, so it's ready for more fuel much faster.

If you are prone to late-night snacking, consider going for a short walk or jog about half an hour before you eat. This should help your body process the food more easily, plus you've burned a few extra calories before you consume them.

Calories aside, it's important to see if eating right before bed causes you any discomfort. My fiancee can't eat before bed because it gives him killer heartburn, but I can eat right up until my head touches the pillow and not have any issues. :)
  • sorellew
    sorellew Posts: 8
    Options
    Great answers. Thank you! A lot of it is common sense, now I think about it, and mythical. That's why I love MFP. It breaks it down into really simple and honest terms - as opposed to other diets.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    No need to worry about timing, however, if you're training for a marathon you need to ditch the treadmill and get outside for your running. Most people who can barely run a mile can do five on a treadmill in fairly respectable time.

Rigger
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I usually have a smoothie or some other 100-200 calorie snack around 8:30 or 9 and am asleep by 11. No problems losing weight yet.