Protein Powder

Options
Lochlyn_D
Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
Hello.

I ALWAYS have trouble filling my protein requirement for the day and people have suggested that I add a protein powder to my morning fruit smoothie. Problem is, I have no idea where to start. What powders are out there? Are they all the same? Where would one buy them?

Thanks all.

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Hello.

I ALWAYS have trouble filling my protein requirement for the day and people have suggested that I add a protein powder to my morning fruit smoothie. Problem is, I have no idea where to start. What powders are out there? Are they all the same? Where would one buy them?

Thanks all.

i just recently switched from Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard to Syntha-6 and I'm quite happy. The S6 has more calories than the ON but it tastes a-freaking-mazing!
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    GNC, amazon, Walmart, etc.
    I get the Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard™ Double Rich Chocolate.
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Ooooo I :heart: protein powder.

Most protein powder is fairly similiar, some differ according to your personal needs...

I am trying to lose weight/body fat and therefore I've chosen a protein powder that is "LEAN" whereas my partner has chosen one that has extra carbs etc in it and its to gain weight, so his reads "MASS".

I choose vanilla and chocolate flavoured protein powders as a staple as they both can go in just about anything that requires protein.

I put vanilla and choc in my morning oats or overnight oats (20g)
    I have it as a normal shake or add it to smoothies
    You can add it into baking, such as pancakes, any 'ball' recipe - i.e. apricot balls or make actual protein balls, or cakes, muffins, etc.
    Add it to desserts. Just experiment with it. I buy my protein off EBAY atm as it can get pricey in supp shops and I am super saving at the moment and on a budget. My protein is branded "PTHEALTH". Delicious!

When choosing a protein powder, depending on your needs, if you're like me and trying to lose weight, look for LEAN proteins (Whey - WPI/WPC) with high protein per 100g and low carb, sugar, etc. MAKE YOU COMPARE ALL PROTEINS ACCORDING TO 100G --- NOT BY THE SCOOP OR PER SERVING - each protein powder may have a different quantity to take and scoop sizes can vary... For instance - my protein powder is 30g SERVING scoop, my partners is 60g SERVING SIZE - so when comparing, always compare by the same quantity - 100g!
  • davidco42
    davidco42 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Walmart carries Body Fortress Protein powder, it's pretty good and inexpensive, too. I use it as meal replacement in the morning, but you can just use it as a supplemental protein source. The Vanilla goes well with fruit.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I like the Dymatize Elite XT one its a long lasting protein powder and you get a good amount for what you pay and it tastes really good. Right now I am mixing the Banana Nut Powder of that one with Matcha green tea powder ,lactose free milk,and fresh fruit...is pretty yummy
  • jenwarship
    jenwarship Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I get a whey protein powder from Trader Joe's- it's more affordable than some. One thing to watch out for is sodium and sugar content- you probably don't want more of that (unless you do)! Walgreens has good powders too that are pretty affordable.
  • kackdog
    kackdog Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just tried six star by muscle tech from walmart. French vanilla cream is a little sweet should have stayed with regular vanilla. Be careful some like eas have up to 17 g of sugar. Regular vanilla would be fine for smoothies.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I get a whey protein powder from Trader Joe's- it's more affordable than some. One thing to watch out for is sodium and sugar content- you probably don't want more of that (unless you do)! Walgreens has good powders too that are pretty affordable.

I just looked some up at walmart and such and the sodium/sugar is ridiculous!!! I wonder if there is a low sodium/low sugar one?
  • Dechant63
    Dechant63 Posts: 59
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition double rich chocolate. Only way to go IMHO.
  • Tysonlovesweights
    Tysonlovesweights Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    there are different powders available depending on your goals. an isolate protein is good if you are lifting weights and trying to maintain lean muscle mass. lots of protein per serving, and not much else so it fits into macros similar to a lean meat like chicken or fish. the meal replacement types will have a generous amount of carbs and higher level of fat than the iso, and are a balanced type of shake for someone who is most likely in a maintenance phase usually with carb/protein/fat ratios in the range of 40/30/30, or 50/30/20 -ish, but having trouble hitting macros or making good food choices with each meal. there are also mass gainer, which are super high in protein and calories, which a person would normally use during a bulking cycle, one serving often providing more than 800 cals! because of its nature and target audience, the mass gainer is usually only available in huge bulk quantities, the iso and meal replacement types are usually in sample sizes, as well as big and small tubs.

I personally use dymatize iso-100 and mix it half water half 1% milk
  • mjkanaan
    mjkanaan Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I also like the Syntha 6 and find buying it online from Vitamin Shoppe vs in their store is so much cheaper. I just ordered today, and a 2.91 pound container is around $30 (free shipping). I use half a scoop in a cup of milk and it's delicious. I like the vanilla ice cream, cookies and cream, and chocolate flavors, and so do my kids, as I make them each a shake every morning with breakfast to make sure they are getting some protein with their meal to keep them full since they go so long before lunch at school every day. Since I only use half a scoop, that container gives me 56 servings, so it's just about 50 cents a serving (not bad).
  • estatitra
    estatitra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use Isoflex from allmax nutrition.
  • dancinmama
    dancinmama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Get a Whey that fits your needs.
  • branbury
    branbury Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Whey powder is best. I use it, but gotta watch the sugar. Make sure you don't add a ton of calories. For protein w/o a lot of extra sugar/calories, my favorite is eating a hard boiled egg, tuna, canned chicken, powdered milk.
  • Valdus92
    Valdus92 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Careful with whey and cholesterol. Blue Bonnet was a company that was great, tasted supreme, mixed easily, and has very little cholesterol
  • msamyg
    msamyg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I get my whey protein from an ebay store that sells clean skin supplements. There are plenty of people who buy their protein powder online (bodybuilding.com, bulk nutrients, iherb, etc.) The nutritional information is generally there on the listing, so you can compare and decide what you want.

I would do some research into the type of protein powder you want as there are lots on the market. I think that bodybuilding.com has an article on the different types of protein powder (including the vegetarian ones) and the advantages/disadvantages of each.

Information is power, read into it, and then purchase from there. :) Hope I have helped.

Amy
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

I just looked some up at walmart and such and the sodium/sugar is ridiculous!!! I wonder if there is a low sodium/low sugar one?

I'm a big fan of The Organic Whey (www.theorganicwhey.com). It contains nothing but just that - organic whey powder, with no other chemicals, flavours, etc. I use it almost every morning in a smoothie with whatever fruit I've got on hand (typically berries of some kind) and unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Yum!