Bone Marrow Donor!

Options
So another reason I want to get in shape is because I would like to Donate bone marrow. I have read that there is a max BMI and I am over it. Has anyone donated bone marrow? Know someone who has? I'm not going to bother asking if it is worth it because I know it is. But could anyone give me a rating on the pain scale? I know it wont be pleasant lol.

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I'm on a list. Had to swab my cheek and mail it off.
    From what I hear, you're suggested to take the day off of work when you're getting it done. I'd imagine you'd be taken care of-pain-wise
    It's a great thing to strive for!!
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Bump

Would like some info as well from someone who has donated. I am registered as a donor but have not actually donated yet
  • Mamagill08
    Mamagill08 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm signed up as a donor and I just have to wait for the phone call if I'm a match. There are two ways to extract it. They can do it through the hip area and then they can also do it through a Peripheral Blood Stem Cell Donation process where they extract it through your blood. I apologize that I don't have thorough information in front of me right now. I'm a donor through DKMS you can look them up at GetSwabbed.org. Best to you! :)
  • Sewweaver
    Sewweaver Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've had a bone marrow biopsy. For that they lay you down on your stomach and numb your upper thigh. It is quite a bit of pain as they core into the bone, feels like a lot of pressure and deep pain. The worst thing is hearing a little crunching sound when they core out the bone. There is some weakness for a few hours and the deep bone pain lasts for a couple days. I also got a pretty hellish headache. But i am not at all sure that bone marrow donation is the same process.

Good luck.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I've been on the list for ~13 years, but have never been matched; in the meantime, I donate platelets on a regular basis. No idea how painful the bone marrow donation process is, but know it wouldn't really matter if I could actually help someone!
  • oOxXxOo
    oOxXxOo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You get a general and the most you will feel is some stiffness and tenderness at the site.
    My son had bone marrow aspirated regularly as a part of his treatment plan when he was diagnosed with leukaemia a few days before his 2nd birthday.
    He used to look forward to going in to have it done... odd I know. But we made a big deal about it being fun, and the mask was pretending to be buzz lightyear, and the staff at the Royal Childrens are AMAZING.
    Anyhoo, long story short.. if he can endure that multiple times (seriously.. it was over 30 times) in 3 years... the one off for yourself knowing you are doing it for such an amazing cause and you are potentially saving someones life... you will be fine :D
  • ocdad68
    ocdad68 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for even considering bone marrow donation and having this discussion. I am now about 145 days from my bone marrow peripheral blood stem cell transplant, done at City of Hope to cure my acute lymphoblastic leukemia. To learn more, please go to BeTheMatch.com or message me.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    ocdad68 wrote: »
    Thank you for even considering bone marrow donation and having this discussion. I am now about 145 days from my bone marrow peripheral blood stem cell transplant, done at City of Hope to cure my acute lymphoblastic leukemia. To learn more, please go to BeTheMatch.com or message me.

Thank you for posting this.

There are upper BMI limits for all types of living donation.