Need recs for healthy kid friendly cereals

Options
kimber607
kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
Hi

I'm asking this question for my kiddies
Are there any really healthy kid friendly cereals...with little added 'stuff'?
I tried to get them to eat total or total raisin bran and they weren't having it
Right now they eat shredded wheat and grap-nuts...
I'm looking for something with iron etc since my dd is on a hunger strike of all things healthy, especially meat of any kind

Thanks for any suggestions...
Kim

Replies

• kimber607
    Options
    Hi

I tried to get them to eat total or total raisin bran and they weren't having it
    I'm looking for something with iron etc since my dd is on a hunger strike of all things healthy, especially meat of any kind

Kim
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Hi

Kim
    I love the envirokidz cereals - gorilla munch is our favorite - loaded with right stuff and missing all the yucky stuff....
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Fiber One has a Caramel Delight cereal and to me it tastes just like Cinnamon Toast Crunch, the flavor dies down a bit with milk but it's still tasty!
  • runnerwithstyle
    runnerwithstyle Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of Kashi products, which your children may enjoy. Some of them have a sweeter taste with a multitude of benefits such as whole grains and fiber.
  • megmarie
    megmarie Posts: 6
    Options
    I second the comment about Kashi cereals. They are wonderful, healthy, and all natural. The GoLean Crunch is great because it has added protein to keep the kids full. It also has a very good cinnamon flavor.
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    I am a huge fan of Kashi products, which your children may enjoy. Some of them have a sweeter taste with a multitude of benefits such as whole grains and fiber.

Also love the Kashi cereals!
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My 2 1/2 year old is having issues with eating lately as well. I know this is not a recommendation for cereal but what I have been doing lately is making her a healthier version of monkey munch (as seen on jon and kate plus 8). - take one cup of natural peanut butter and one cup of semi sweet chocolate chips and one of those small prepacked cups of applesauce (unsweetened) then I microwave and stir until melted and then I pour it over chex cereal (I use the whole box) and mix well and try to lay it out to dry and then stick it in individual serving bags and stick it in the freezer. This really helps her to get some nutrition and fat and she doesn't object to it I think because it seems like more of a snacky kind of food rather than eating her veggies. I have even ground up her vitamins and mixed it in after a particularly unhappy day with taking her vitamin. Chex has 50% DRV of iron per serving! The ooriginal reipe also calls for a cup and a half of powdered sugar and a stick of butter (which I sub'd the applesauce for.
  • fashionkitten13
    Options
    Special K Chocolaty Delight and Cinnamon Life cereal are both really yummy and better for you.

Would your kids eat cereal with fresh berries? Rice Crispies or Corn Flakes with fresh berries was always a huge treat for my brother and I growing up.

My mom knew I'd eat anything that I got to help cook because I could leave out the things I didn't like. We would make granola together in the microwave... super easy to make and full of good stuff. Since I didn't like raisins as a kid, she would add dried cranberries instead to sweeten the mixture. I'll post the recipe if you want to try it.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If you have a natural food store, there are a lot of them for kids. I don't know them off the top of my head though - i usually stick with granola, cottage cheese, and apple butter for breakfast :)
  • HMS6376
    HMS6376 Posts: 4
    Options
    My son absolutely loves LIFE cereal, its pretty decent compared to all those sugary cereals out there! Its very high in calcium and iron and pretty low in sugar, and it tastes good!
  • kimber607
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for the recs

Hmmmm....I had no idea Chex were so good for you
    My kids would love it...I'm going to try the recipe...

Thanks, kim