Question about net calories and exercise

Options
jsandie76
jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
I know this type of question has been asked before but every situation is a bit different. I am a 100+lbs overweight woman. My BMI is 43.6. I got this way because I was/am extremely sedentary and used to eat ALOT of crap.

Recently I have changed my habits. I started with changing the way I ate and logging my food here on MFP. I set up my "goal" as 1lb / week because I figured it would be better to be under sometimes than to fail on days that weren't so good.

After getting settled into my new habits I found myself eating around 1400-1600 cals / day most of the time. Once I got the nutritional part of this change under control, I decided to join a gym. Now I am exercising between 350 - 700 cals a day away.

My problem is for the last week or so I have been having problems eating more than 1600 cals a day. Most days leaving me at a Net cal intake between 1200-1300 cals Yesterday I was only at 1100 net! (even though I ate 1750 with a LARGE steak, and some chocolate as a snack last night) Today while at the grocery store my hubby was showing me all the "goodies" I could eat since I had a good amount of cals in the bank again today and the thought of eating that crap made me ill. I am NOT hungry. I just find it ridiculous to eat MORE than I want just because the MFP calculator told me that I have 800 cals remaining.

Can someone please give me some input / suggestions?

Replies

• iheartmy1dog
    iheartmy1dog Posts: 207
    Options
    For the past yr I was eating about 1200... I never took exercise into account. I started experiencing different symptoms and went to the dr... just got my blood test results back and I'm at a deficit in some nutrients. My dr and dietician have both instructed me to eat more.

I'm sure my situation is different... Everyone's is. I just don't want to see anyone make the mistakes I did.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    How do you track your exercise calories? If you use a HRM, you may find it's overestimating the calories burned.

If not, try looking into eating high calorie healthy foods, like nuts, avacado, dried fruits, cheese etc. These could help to bump up the numbers without too many unhealthy sugars/salts?
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    MFP also overestimates calories burned (in general.)
    I find a more effective method is to go off of your TDEE.
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • KaleYeah
    KaleYeah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I eat a whole foods plant based diet. When working out, I burn around 750 net calories. I usually eat around 500 calories per meal with an occasional snack around 100 - 200 calories. So far I leave a net of about 800 - 1000+ calories. But, I get all my nutrients because of my diet. I guess it just depends on what your eating.