Running help?...((Need some input))

Options
Hi there.. ^^" I've recently decided that I've wanted to shed fat. I don't necessarily want to lose weight, but if it happens it happens.

Basically, I have started running a mile a day, every day. I don't know if this'll help me lower my body fat percentage, but I'd really appreciate it if people have any pointers or advice? Such as maybe, what I should eat before I run? How far should I run?..

Right now I eat a slice of bread before I run, I guess that's okay?...

If it helps, I also get up really early, so I guess that changes what I eat?

I'm really new to the running world so I'd really like some input..

Thank you!

Replies

• QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hi!

My pre-run meal tends to be something light- a banana, or a piece of toast with almond butter. I'm a coffee person, so I always have a small cup before heading out!

There are lots of training programs out there. This one helped me when I first started running- it's a training program for a 5K.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50933/Novice-Training-for-your-first-5K

Good luck!
  • Maddiiiieeee
    Options
    Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • Bocomomom
    Bocomomom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Will running alone help shed body fat (especially around the mid section) or do I need to do crunches and things too? I'm in the same boat of being more concerned about body fat and toning as opposed to just losing weight.
  • sarahhan95
    sarahhan95 Posts: 25
    Options
    @Bocomomom: IMHO, strength training will often only build up the muscles beneath our layer of fat (ofc, this leads to other benefits as well, you will be able to burn more calories even after exercises, etc.) but to shed the overall body fat, cardio is still the most effective way, and running is probably one of the most intensive form of cardio.

If you want to lose body fat AND gain muscle, then I suggest that you do both. Also, try to include some HIIT into your cardio as well :).

And for the OP, if your run lasts less than 45 minutes, I don't think you need to eat anything before. Although, for a light snack, I think the best choice is either a banana or toast. How far should you run depends on how much your body can take at this moment. I could barely run a mile at first, but I racked up my mileage slowly. Hope this help :)!
  • Superfantastic
    Options
    I've found (and read) that for losing fat, intervals are better than just distance running. This can be as simple as picking a mailbox/fire hydrant/other thing on your route and sprinting to it, then a walk or slow jog recovery, then repeat. I think it's important to change things up. Maybe build mileage some days, do intervals or hills other days. I'll also do runs on shorter distances where I stop every 5 minutes for squats and lunges to add some strength training in while still keeping my heart rate elevated.

If I'm not running too far in the morning, I'll either skip eating or just have a spoonful of peanut butter washed down with half a glass of water before I head out. For a longer run, a banana or a piece of toast with peanut butter.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    yesterday i ran 2 hours with only a banana beforehand (and some water and electrolytes during the run). other times i'll have a banana-coffee-protein shake. all depends on how you feel.
    a mile a day is quite an accomplishment, but i suggest you look into a program that adds mileage slowly. (couch to 5k, 10k in 13 weeks etc), most of these programs are designed to bring you safely up to your desired distance. if you do too much too soon, you might end up with injuries, that could have been avoided by progressing a bit more slowly (stress fractures, shin splints, knee pain, torn or inflamed tendons...).
    anyhow, from the fat burning perspective, - i've noticed more success on that front since i've been running more than 45-60 minutes at a time. but it took me a while to get there ;-) and i still don't run every day. plus, i run slowly - only just managed to hit 5k in under 30 minutes (29:52 and i was struggling), usually i run about 9 km/h, last year it was 8 km/h.
  • KaleYeah
    KaleYeah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been running some for the last several weeks. I started at 2-3 miles. Slowly built it up to 3-4, then 4-5. Today I just did 10k for the first time. Take it slow. I run 2 - 3 times per week for about 45 - 60 mins. I am trying to lose 20 lbs and am averaging about 1lb loss a week. Is it because I am running? Yes, but mainly because of my diet (whole foods plant based). The biggest factor in burning fat is your diet.
  • BetterMike
    BetterMike Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Running a mile a day is probably going to burn about 100 calories a day. That doesn't seem like enough to transform your body in any noticable way. Also if you are eating that bread to fuel your mile it's a wash.

Now if your building from a mile and plan to increase the distance then great! You're on the right track.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Mile a day will help if it's HIIT

Bread before a run, personally I wouldn't do that. I tend to have a few glasses of water and then booosh I'm off or a banana
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    everybody is different. I'm useless without food, but i also can't run right after eating... I eat at 7 and run at 10... i try not to eat eggs on run days too, they really take me out.

i would rind something more nutritious than bread.

Also the best way to lose fat is to have moce muscle mass (then you burn more calories just be being your awesome self, even at rest) so if you can add some circuit training at the gym, crossfit or some 30 day shred or something, it will help.

I run 3 miles every other day, and try to throw other stuff in between. I have a lot of demands on my time (I'm lone parenting 3 kids during the week while my husband works out of town, i work full time and i'm in school) so i don't get to hit the gym too often, which is why i gained 4 lbs this week by eating just a little more than usual... because i haven't built up my muscle mass