Burn Calories Shopping

Options
There are lots of little things we do daily that burn calories. One thing a lot forget about is that daily shopping we do. As for myself, I never gave it a 2nd thought. Today, just for the fun of it, I tracked my shopping at one of our local Wal-mart stores getting a few items. I spent a total of 35 minuets shopping and my average speed was 0.5 miles per hour, with a total calorie burn of 236. This is using my Forerunner® 305 by Garmin.

I guess I will start tracking more shopping in the future to help me with that little snack I may want.

Replies

• timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I usually don't count my calories while shopping but one time I knew we were going to be gone almost all day (and we were---9 hrs (including time to sit and eat) to be exact) and I burned over 900 calories...couldn't believe it....
  • MakeLifeBright
    Options
    Great Tip!! :flowerforyou: I like to window shop at the mall to get my exercise some times.
    I never thought about walmart though. Some times I spend an hour in there walking around. :huh:
    Then I am always thinking, I hope I look decent . Because I do not want my fat butt on peopleofwalmart.com !!
    I told my husband that, he thinks I am crazy lol :noway:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Um.... I'd be a little leery of that. I know that it takes me about an hour of brisk walking (at least 3 mph) to burn 200+ calories. I'd keep in mind that you are burning calories just by virtue of being alive... and all of those shouldn't be counted as "extra exercise". Grocery shopping is so stop and go that I'm not sure it would burn too many calories (That being said, if I do spend an entire day walking at the zoo or at the mall, I'll usually count about 1/4 to 1/2 of the time at a very slow pace).
  • ardaniels0417
    Options
    Im not sure if daily walking really counts as excercise?? I know that it is movement of the body but it doesnt exert enough energy to really count and allow you additional calories. If it works for you thats great, but I dont recommend adding a ton of calories to your daily count just for doing regular walking... There are things that our body have to do to survive, these include walking to the car and back from work and walking around walmart, if it was that easy america would not have such a problem with so many people and children being over weight. It takes more than that...Not trying to bust your bubble. Just dont want you to be working against yourself...Have a great day
  • fat214
    fat214 Posts: 109
    Options
    Thanks I just spent an hour looking at peopleofwalmart.com! I wonder how many calories I DIDN"T Burn :) The good news I didn't see my picture.LOL
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    There are lots of little things we do daily that burn calories. One thing a lot forget about is that daily shopping we do. As for myself, I never gave it a 2nd thought. Today, just for the fun of it, I tracked my shopping at one of our local Wal-mart stores getting a few items. I spent a total of 35 minuets shopping and my average speed was 0.5 miles per hour, with a total calorie burn of 236. This is using my Forerunner® 305 by Garmin.

I guess I will start tracking more shopping in the future to help me with that little snack I may want.

How do you know how many calories you burned during shopping, was it via an HRM? (I am not familiary with a Forerunner, sorry). If so, HRMs are not accurate when it comes to calories burned in day to day activities, they are meant to be used for workouts, even the manufacturers of HRMs will state the same.

An average speed of half a mile per hour means you covered just 400m (quarter of a mile) in 30 minutes and there is absolutely no way on earth that you would burn 236 calories for such a short distance, even the world record holder for 400m in track and field athletics would not burn that amount of calories for that amount of metres covered.

Personally, I would never log shopping as exercise, especially if you are logging it so that you can eat the exercise calories. If you do, you are sure to end up overeating due to the calorie amount being vastly overestimated.

One mile of walking/running will equal approximately 100 calories (slightly underestimated).
  • MakeLifeBright
    Options
    Thanks I just spent an hour looking at peopleofwalmart.com! I wonder how many calories I DIDN"T Burn :) The good news I didn't see my picture.LOL

LoL :laugh: :blushing: :flowerforyou: