Way below daily calorie goal!

wowza4536
wowza4536 Posts: 6
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
Ive asked some opinions and stuff; like my dad since he's a medical assistant; and my daily calorie goals are about 2700 but in an effort to eat better more nutritional things, i find myself hitting way below this goal. Sometimes only 1100 but because of my job im up early and home late so sometimes i can't get breakfast and stuff so i suppose that can contribute. Any advice on this?? It would be a great help! =]

Replies

• natashaaevans
    natashaaevans Posts: 33 Member
    I'm no expert, but from reading I'd say you DEFINITELY need to be eating some kind of breakfast to keep your metabolism up!
  • Hi :)
    The only thing i can think of is protein shakes, they're nutritionally balanced and can pack in a few calories too.

I have kind've the same problem, i am consistently under my calorie goal, i have a physical job and don't always get time to grab breakfast so i eat protein bars, cereal bars (Belvita breakfast biscuits are good).
    Good luck!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    I don't know how much if any that your trying to lose but I would think if you can at least get 1500 to 1700 calories in it would be better if your going for weight loss. 3 meals with a few snacks should help. And if your exercising eat more then that.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    You should plan ahead a little by packing some high protein snacks for work. And keep some emergency food in your car. There are some good pre-mixed protein shakes and bars out there that you can drink for breakfast on your way to work. My snack staples are greek yogurt (Fage is THE best) and light string cheese. But since you need to eat a lot more calories than I do, you might want to pack some nuts and fruit too.
  • lesley12345
    lesley12345 Posts: 89 Member
    First of all, you should definately try to eat more calories. 1100 isn't enough calories, and you can put your body in "starvation mode", which will slow your metabolism and absorb more of the food you ARE eating. Try bringing more snacks with you to work and eat throughout the day.
    Second, breakfast is the most imporatant meal of the day, it gives you energy and boosts your metabolism. I am not a huge breakfast eater either, but I have forced myself to get in the habit of eating breakfast. I am an on the go eater too, in the morning. So I premade scrambled eggs for the next few days, wrap it in a tortilla and eat that. Good source of protein and quick and easy to make.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Back when I had to head out and work early in the mornings, instead of fixing breakfast, I would drink a few instant breakfasts on the way. They are also great for mid morning and mid afternoon snacks. Better to graze through out the day than just a few meals per day.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Ive asked some opinions and stuff; like my dad since he's a medical assistant; and my daily calorie goals are about 2700 but in an effort to eat better more nutritional things, i find myself hitting way below this goal. Sometimes only 1100 but because of my job im up early and home late so sometimes i can't get breakfast and stuff so i suppose that can contribute. Any advice on this?? It would be a great help! =]
    Best to try and eat around the cals MFP suggests to make sure you're getting in all you need to fuel your body. For a male looking to lose 80lbs. 1100 cals is simply, well, way too low and your body will be the first to tell you that! You need to eat a breakfast to get your day started out healthy and boost up that metabolism, healthy protein bars, shakes to go, doesn't have to be breakfast food. Something grab and go that's healthy from your house that you pack up with you in the early a.m. to take with.

Planning ahead is something you'll learn about on this site, that way it's easier to steer clear of getting too hungry or stop and grab unhealthy foods.

Becca
  • I find eating breakfast really hard as I just don't feel hungry for the first couple of hours after waking up. Since I started trying to lose weight I've made an effort to eat breakfast and I've found bananas are the answer for me. Also there is the advantage that there is no preperation if you are short of time in the morning. Hope this may help.
  • Thanks everyone for the advice! Im definitely planning ahead as i even type this and making a grocery list and looking up some good choices and varieties. Thank you so much!!! =]
  • srgolden
    srgolden Posts: 18 Member
    Protein bars are great for adding calories and energy. My personal fave is the Balance Bar, especially Chocolate Craze. I get them at BJ's (they come packed with box of chocolate/peanut butter bars which is also good). I like them because they taste like an iced brownie and I always feel like I'm eating a decadent dessert when I eat one.
This discussion has been closed.