High resting heart rate

Options
TheGymGypsy
TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
I started exercising in January 2012. My primary form of exercise for the first year of that was running. I trained for a half marathon at a slow steady pace. I usually didn't exceed 5.5 mph, but I could run lonnnng distances without getting tired.

I lost 60 pounds, and now do 3 hours of weight lifting each week AND 3 hours of running. However my resting heart rate is still around 78-80 bpm. Before I started exercising my resting bpm was only 65. What's going on? I have tried this multiple times during the week and have gotten the same result each time.

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Haaaaalp
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    A question for your Doctor maybe?
  • michellechawner
    Options
    My resting heart rate is 90. Doctor doesn't seem concerned, but then again, my doctor knows me well.

Best to ask your doctor if you're concerned about it.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I agree with asking your doctor if you are concerned, but 78-80 is not "high" as described in your thread title. I wouldn't worry, personally.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Curious - how exactly are you testing your RHR?

Meaning...are you doing the "true" test where you take your pulse for a full minute before getting out of bed in the morning? Or are you just sitting at some point during the day and checking it for 10 seconds and multiplying by 6?

More details may help us to help you.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    My resting heart rate has always been high, even when I've been in optimum condition (ran quite a bit in high school and it was still high). My doctor has no explanation. However, mine is pretty steady, meaning it didn't increase as I lost weight and began to move more. That might bear looking into with your doctor.

If it offers you any comfort, I just had a major work up on my heart (stress test, ultrasound, etc.) and it's healthy as can be, even with my high resting heart rate.
  • sparkle814
    sparkle814 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hmm - that's weird, usually you'd think building cardiovascular endurance would lower your resting heart rate. Have you had any change in your caffeine consumption or stress? Those are two things that I can think of that would increase your resting heart rate. Good luck!