How do you do your chicken?

Options
We all have grown very acquainted with the whole grilled chicken and steamed vegetables dinner plate..but it can get boring. I'm always interested in ways to infuse delicious flavor into my grilled chicken! Any suggestions? I marinated my chicken in lime, garlic and pepper for dinner tonight and loved how it tured out..so there's that.

Replies

• CarmenDsewell
    Options
    Why not try beer-butt chicken?....one whole chicken seasoned with whatever you like, and a half can of beer any brand. Put beer can in a pan large enough to hold the chicken, put the beer can in the pan, then place the chicken over beer can (the chicken will be in a sitting position) on beer can. Bake at 350 till done, the chicken will be moist and delish. Enjoy!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Recently I have adopted a vegan diet. The main reason is that you can just about eradicate or significantly eliminate the risk factors associated with the leading causes of premature death.

The following article might be worthwhile reading if you are interested in health and longevity.

http://nutritionfacts.org/2011/09/19/dr-oz-apple-juice-and-arsenic-chicken-may-have-10-times-more/

If you're not interested then I apologise for the intrusion.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • jikkenkekka
    Options
    One thing I tried recently was marinating some chicken in tea! That probably sounds a little odd, but I used the Sherlock Holmes blend (by Cara McGee) from Adagio Teas. It's a super smoky tea that smells like a campfire. *____* The first thing my mum said when I had her smell the blend was "I wanna have this on steaks!" As I don't really care for steak I tried it with chicken instead and loved how it turned out. I brewed an extra strong batch of tea for this and marinated for ... oh, I dunno, several hours at least. Then I grilled the chicken. I think it gave the chicken a great added kick of smokiness. The blend I used gets its smokiness from lapsang souchong, so I assume you could just use that if you didn't have (or didn't want to buy) a blend like I used.

I haven't gotten around to making this again but plan to do so soon. I think I'll marinate the chicken for a bit longer than I did the first time around. I think I'll also make a sort of tea reduction sauce out of the same blend or perhaps a tea-based barbecue sauce to go along with the chicken.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Wrapped in a strip of bacon then grilled! Everything is better with bacon :)
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    This is not grilled chicken, but I it needs no butter or oil and turns out quite tasty:

Creamy Tarragon Chicken (I did steal...ahem, adapt this recipe from a WW cookbook, but it is amazingly easy and so yummy with brown rice and some fresh, steamed veggies)

Chicken - Breast, meat only, raw, 12 oz
    Chicken Broth No Msg Added 100% Fat Free, 1/2 Cup
    Fat Free Half & Half, 1/4 Cup
    Gold Medal - All-Purpose Unbleached White Flour, 1.5 tsp
    Mccormick - Tarragon, 1/2 tsp
    Morton - Iodized Table Salt, 1/2 tsp
    Spices - Pepper, black, 1/2 tsp

Serves 3 - I make dinner for two and tomorrow's lunch for me, but can easily be doubled for a crowd.
    Per Serving: 157 cals

1. Whisk Chicken Broth, Half n Half, Flour, Tarragon and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Set aside.
    2. Pound chicken breast/cutlets to even thickness between wax paper. Spray both sides of chicken with cooking spray, sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
    3. Place a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 3 minutes on each side or until done. Remove from pan; keep warm.
    4. Add broth mixture to pan. Bring to boil; cook, stirring constantly, 2-3 minutes or until reduced by half, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Serve sauce over chicken.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Why not try beer-butt chicken?....one whole chicken seasoned with whatever you like, and a half can of beer any brand. Put beer can in a pan large enough to hold the chicken, put the beer can in the pan, then place the chicken over beer can (the chicken will be in a sitting position) on beer can. Bake at 350 till done, the chicken will be moist and delish. Enjoy!
    Love the beer can chicken, my variance is 425 convection, yield a crispier skin.
  • dailytammy
    dailytammy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bake in oven top with plain non fat greek yogurt, garlic and parmesan cheese. So yummy and I don't like greek yogurt
  • jaymie_x0
    jaymie_x0 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Omg my husband has been seasoning our chicken in adobe powder, nutritional yeast, garlic, pepper, "slap ya mama" spice & it's been AMAZING!!!
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I put mine in a slow cooker. Throw in a jar of Spanish sauce (has peppers, tomatoes, garlic, etc, in it) let it cook for about 4 hours.

You can cook it with any sauce you want, the Spanish sauce was just an example.
  • auntiecorri
    Options
    Provencal Herb Marinated Chicken from MyRecipes.com
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/provenal-herb-marinated-roast-chicken-10000001108299/

Not grilled, but relatively easy and full of flavor!
  • 52golfnut
    52golfnut Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump
  • zedpeeem
    zedpeeem Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I dip mine in egg, then coat with crushed up cornflakes. Bake in the oven and pretend it's crunchy fried chicken. Sometimes I'll add some paprika for extra flavour
  • Trisha_Ray
    Trisha_Ray Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out www.emilybites.com. She has tons of good recipes. Another idea is throw in some chicken breasts in the crock pot with a jar of salsa and you can make almost anything with it. Enchiladas, tacos, etc...
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I dip mine in egg, then coat with crushed up cornflakes. Bake in the oven and pretend it's crunchy fried chicken. Sometimes I'll add some paprika for extra flavour

I do this also, but add worchestire (sp) sauce to the egg wash and I season the crumbs with anything I feel like! Parm cheese, seasoned salt, italian seasoning etc.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

^^ This. I do mine in the butt too.
  • swalthes
    swalthes Posts: 14
    Options
    i refer to skinnytaste.com for recipes alot. There are all kinds of recipes and many show the calories and such to take the guess work out of it
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Grilled & Steam but if Fried i will use olive oil
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

^^ This. I do mine in the butt too.
    :flowerforyou:
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I used to use breadcrumbs, but since going gluten free, we've been having it either plain or I crush up chex to use as a coating on it.
  • Sassyallday
    Sassyallday Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Anything you put under the skin of a chicken before slow roasting bakes the flavor in deeply and is delicious! Reach gently under the skin with olive oil and your seasoning ingredients and spread them generously around. Place also in the cavity and under the wing and drumstick.

Here are some of my favorites:

Olive oil and cloves of garlic (lots - - -like 20 to 30!)

Olive oil, fresh ground pepper and kosher salt

Olive oil and rosemary (or any single herb or blend of your favorite herbs)

Olive oil and lemon wedges

Olive oil and oranges