Does walking on the job count as exercise??

Options
So, I am in a very busy work environment, and I walk, constantly, all day. I sit down for lunch, 1 hour, and for my breaks, an additional 30 minutes. I may have a time period where I sit at work, but never any longer than 30 minutes cumulative. So, all in all, I may sit for two hours out of a 9 hour work day. I walk at all speeds as well, sometimes leisurely, mostly at least moderately paced. (I work retail, customer service is a demanding, fast paced place to be.)

If I were honest with myself I'd say I walk at a fast pace a total of 30-45 minutes a day, a moderate pace another five or so hours, and leisurely the rest.

Does this count toward my daily exercise? Or, should my exercise exceed what I do every day at work?? I'm unsure if I should calculate the walking.

Any advice?

Replies

• TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I would count that as moderately active in your daily life and it will raise your normal calorie intake needs. I wouldn't count it as exercise.
  • mkpeacock
    Options
    I would count that as moderately active in your daily life and it will raise your normal calorie intake needs. I wouldn't count it as exercise.

I agree!!
  • ambercole
    Options
    Yep, what they /\ said.
  • jamie11k
    Options
    You should wear a pedometer to see how many miles a day you're racking up at work!
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    I would maybe count it as exercise but I wouldn't eat those extra calories.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I'm with those who say to set your profile to moderately active. I'd then add in exercise that you do above and beyond work duties.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    walking is walking, no matter where you walk at. Try to keep a simple journal one day if you can and track time and distance. Or if you have a watch or padometer, keep track that way. It doesn't have to be exact but a good way to calcuate cals burned. simple $5 Pedometer can work wonders.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Agree about moderately active. I think people forget that MFP gives you a daily calorie burn allowance based on what activity level you enter. :-) Go to your Goals and look in upper right hand of chart and you can see yours there.
  • Angelfaith5909
    Angelfaith5909 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When you walk all day at work,does your body get use to walking and show no results in trying to lose weight,does it help you to maintain your wieght. that you currrently have?:tongue:
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I would factor it into my activity level, but I wouldn't count it as exercise. You'll likely overestimate your burn.