Tried so hard and gained weight!

Options
Started health kick, ate very sensibly,and re started the gym. Doing 60 mins of cardio at the gym and went 4 times in a week. Was so excited to ger weighed i literally jumped on the scales (i have gained 2 pounds!!!). I was totally devasted but a week on i have persevered and kept fitness and diet up. Now im scared to get weighed. If i do not see anything positive i will be gutted! I know people say dont get weighed but in the past when i have seen the scales go down it is a great motivator. Any advice??? Or any idea why i gained 1st week??

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    It was probably water weight.

Make sure you weigh and measure all food accurately and log everything. Stick to your calorie goal and you should see results.

Be patient, you didn't gain weight overnight, don't expect to lose it so fast.
  • theslimapple
    theslimapple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What KarenJanine said: water. I know it's hard but don't pay too much attention to the scale. It took me 3 weeks for my scale to gister any significant loss but I lost inches while the scale was going up and down by a couple of pounds.

I'm strength training as well as doing cardio so I'm gaining muscles as I am losing fat. I recommend doing that instead of just cardio for long term loss. Weight yourself once a week and take your measurements. Keep at it and the weight will eventually come off!
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, your muscle is trying to repaire itself. That weight will come off after your muscle stop freaking out (unless you've been eating alot, in that case you should eat less).
  • leemay001
    leemay001 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you haven't read this already (which I'm assuming you haven't), READ IT:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

It's from one of the sticky's in this forum. Explains a LOT about how weight loss works, and you will find that you may gain weight for up to 4 weeks before losing any weight depending on how you've approached weight loss up until now.

I myself found myself losing weight for 10 weeks (1kg / 2.2lb per week), dropped a total of 10kg/22lb then starting gaining weight back again eating the same low calories and doing 80 mins of cardio daily. After reading the above post (and all the other stickied posts - LOADS of good info) I've finally started to lose back the weight I gained and I'm feeling a lot healthier now too.

My situation is probably very different to yours, but I'm still sure you'll find a lot of your answers in the stickies in this forum.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Isn't there a saying "Hell is paved with good intentions?" I don't want to sound like a complete a-hole, but educating yourself and learning about your own body... being persistent and things well beyond what I just listed is really "trying."

People want to lose "weight" when they really want to lose is fat. It's not all about cardio and salads.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Started health kick, ate very sensibly,and re started the gym. Doing 60 mins of cardio at the gym and went 4 times in a week. Was so excited to ger weighed i literally jumped on the scales (i have gained 2 pounds!!!). I was totally devasted but a week on i have persevered and kept fitness and diet up. Now im scared to get weighed. If i do not see anything positive i will be gutted! I know people say dont get weighed but in the past when i have seen the scales go down it is a great motivator. Any advice??? Or any idea why i gained 1st week??

Are you eating at a deficit? I suspect you are not eating at a deficit. Are you logging all your food and drink and are you weighing food too?
  • Christina8585
    Christina8585 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The scale is irrelevant, ignore it. Just keep pushing yourself and the weight will come off. I've been in a weight loss plateau for like 3 weeks now. It's frustrating but it will pass. Keep at it.