Help appreciated- not losing weight

Options
Hi all,

I've always been a full figure. I have in the pass fluctuated weight wise, dropping to what I considered "thin enough" and then putting a few kg's on.

I have always been an active person, most recently I'd do atleast a gym day during the week and then 2.5 hours of football on the weekends.

I eat healthy, I don't eat snacks, sweets, drink fizzy drinks etc..

Recently I've stopped football and now go 3 times a week to the gym.

At the gym I do 30 mins weights, and 30 mins cardio/ running. Fast run heavy sweet and sometimes I alternate the speed from fast to very fast for 2 mins.

Breakfast; porridge maybe some granola with a bit of honey. Brown toast with light Philadelphia and a slice of ham.

Nothing until 1pm and for lunch I have a basic salad with some fruit after.

Dinner is usually meat/ fish with salads etc.

I've never had a problem with losing weight in the past but for the last 4 months say I can not get the weight off.

Any input would be appreciated! I'm nearly losing the will lower to continue and just come to terms that I'm gona stay this weight.

Kind regard

Xtone

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    What's your calorie goal and how much are you actually eating?
  • Xtone
    Xtone Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi, I would say my max is 2k calories a day. Maybe less 1800
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

you only eat porridge, salad for lunch and salad for tea and thats 2000 cals?
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options

you only eat porridge, salad for lunch and salad for tea and thats 2000 cals?

He said meat/fish. Perhaps it's a HUGE piece & he didn't specify what type of salad. Just because it's a 'salad' doesn't always mean it's good i.e. pasta salad, potato salad etc. etc.

But yeah, the mind boggles.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out what you should be eatting, hit your Macro targets. You a guy so you need way more protein that you describe. I suggest you read this link and figure out your BMR and TDEE, then eat at TDEE minus 20% if you need to lose a lot or 10% if you just need to lose a few pounds.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • Xtone
    Options
    Hi Guys/ Girls,

Thanks for the posts.

I would say on average my intake is total 2,000. Weekends it may it spike, if i have a couple of alcoholic drinks or eat out at a restaurant.

I would say that breakfast is circa 400 calories, lunch say max 500 (with fruits) and dinner lets say another 900. I do not eat potato salads and not a fan of pasta, so its usualy a meat/ fish with sids of veg and salads.

It feels like the body is refusing the burn the fat. my fitness is good, i run at a fast pace from 10 to 12 on the treadmill with inclines.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Hi Guys/ Girls,

Thanks for the posts.

I would say on average my intake is total 2,000. Weekends it may it spike, if i have a couple of alcoholic drinks or eat out at a restaurant.

I would say that breakfast is circa 400 calories, lunch say max 500 (with fruits) and dinner lets say another 900. I do not eat potato salads and not a fan of pasta, so its usualy a meat/ fish with sids of veg and salads.

It feels like the body is refusing the burn the fat. my fitness is good, i run at a fast pace from 10 to 12 on the treadmill with inclines.

Do you weigh and measure everything you eat?
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys/ Girls,

Thanks for the posts.

Dude, sounds to me like you do not know for sure what you eat or how much. Start with tracking everything you eat, Use this site and weigh and measure EVERYTHING. once you know, then you can fix any problems.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Start taking measurements. Chances are if you're lifting, then you're going to maintain your muscle and lose pretty much only body fat (assuming you're eating a calorie deficit)

Could always try upping your calories for a week? Could be a plateau you've hit.
  • Xtone
    Options
    I do not weigh my food, i haven't done this before.

the calories numbers i gave i think are more worse case, i would safely say that i am well under those numbers, just at work so cant give 100% accurate numbers.

When you mean, weigh, i take it you mean literally weigh it and divide it by nutritional figures at the back?
  • carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Dude, sounds to me like you do not know for sure what you eat or how much. Start with tracking everything you eat, Use this site and weigh and measure EVERYTHING. once you know, then you can fix any problems.

This^^

Weigh everything, measure everything, log everything. Follow MFP's formula, log your exercise calories, eat (most of) them too.

Do what this site tells you to do then come back if you are still having problems
  • SandraMartin3008
    SandraMartin3008 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Track your food intake meticulously. Otherwise you will feel you are dieting but it wont show any concrete results. Vague numbers aren't good, only results matter which can be determined only if you provide correct input.

Increase your workout hours!
    Loosing wieght is not easy
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

the calories numbers i gave i think are more worse case, i would safely say that i am well under those numbers, just at work so cant give 100% accurate numbers.

When you mean, weigh, i take it you mean literally weigh it and divide it by nutritional figures at the back?
    without weighing everythingYou eat you haven't a clue of your real calorie intake my guess it's a lot more than you think. Track it properly and find out the actual figures
  • TavistockToad
    Options

you are WAY under estimating how much you eat by the sounds of things.

weigh, measure and log EVERYTHING you eat for a week and then come back!

and just out of interest, why dont you eat any carbs with lunch or dinner? doesnt just salad get boring after a while? i have it for lunch most days, but i would soon be sick of it for tea as well!
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Let me add another voice to the chorus of people telling you to get realistic and weigh your food. You have no idea what your intake is. I can guarantee one thing about your intake: it is not less than your output.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    The advice about measuring your food is huge! As soon as I really started doing it, the weight started coming off.
  • confusedperson
    Options
    well, to me it looks like you do a good deal of exercise, but you don't eat enough! try putting some rice/potatoe/pasta in your salad, your body needs it!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    agree with the above^^

it helps immensely if you log everything, and yes - weigh/measure/count. it's the only way to get an acurrate reading. You may be grossly under OR over estimating your intake

For foods that come in a package with nutritional info, you don't have to weigh, just count accurately what you are eating. for other things - yes, weigh each food you eat.

Here's what i learned so far on MFP - if "whatever you are doing" isn't working, then try somethign else, e.g., add more calories, reduce calories, up your exercise, etc. try that for a week or two and see what happens. it's a journey and you will be continuosly making adjustments.
  • mollbllm
    mollbllm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think this is a very common problem and you should watch a program on Channel 4 OD called "secret eaters". They are people who think they eat very healthily and are still putting on weight and can't understand why. I am not saying it applies to you but was an eye opener for me