I know there is already a million threads probably...

Options
But we're going to the grocery store tomorrow, and since I HATE making a grocery list I was wondering if anyone would give me a bunch of suggestions for healthy meal ideas? I'm not too much of a picky eater but the boyfriend is. He doesn't like tomatoes or anything with tomato sauce in it!

I need breakfast ideas (Usually it's only my daughter and I who eat breakfast)

lunch, and dinner ideas.

And I know that a lot of people like to suggest crock pot meals. But we don't have a crock pot! :(

Replies

• ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    scrambled eggs in the morning, english muffin with peanut butter, cereal, yogurt

lunch: tuna sandwich, egg salad sandwich, cut up veggies and dip, fruits (before they go out of season!)

dinner: i make my own pizza, dunno how ur bf feels about pizza sauce though :S, i usually make chicken, rice and salad, or some sort of vegtable as a side, even the frozen mixed veggies on the side are great and fast! pork chops, guess chili is out of the question...well actually my recipe doesnt have tomato in it :) i will gladly give it to you if ur interested
  • Hughes39
    Options
    scrambled eggs in the morning, english muffin with peanut butter, cereal, yogurt

lunch: tuna sandwich, egg salad sandwich, cut up veggies and dip, fruits (before they go out of season!)

dinner: i make my own pizza, dunno how ur bf feels about pizza sauce though :S, i usually make chicken, rice and salad, or some sort of vegtable as a side, even the frozen mixed veggies on the side are great and fast! pork chops, guess chili is out of the question...well actually my recipe doesnt have tomato in it :) i will gladly give it to you if ur interested
    ii love tuna sandwiches but haven't got a clue how to make them! i used to have them a lot when i was younger. it doesn't taste right just having the can of tuna. and i remember there being eggs in it. anything else? oh and he will do chili. so yes, please share your recipe!
  • schwarzaj
    schwarzaj Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    tuna + mayo + salt (optional) + bread = tuna sandwich :embarassed:
  • ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i always add pickles to my tuna sandwiches :) chopped up finely, and yes, mayo, i find the pickles add the right amount of salt.

how i make chili:

ingredients:
    red kidney beans (1 can)
    brown beans in tomato sauce (1 can) **they have many varieties without tomato sauce but honestly you cant taste it
    6 medium mushrooms (optional)
    one package of ground beef (lean is usually the best)
    one packet of chili seasoning (its the chili mix that comes in a packet, kinda like the gravy packets lol)
    if you like it spicy you can add some jalapenos

basically fry the ground beef untill its mostly cooked, add in the mushrooms(finely chopped), finish frying untill the beef is 120% cooked LOL (undercooked ground beef = bad news) add in the beans (both cans) add in the chili mix, stir and simmer for 5 min (the package will say how long, it will also tell you to add water, i never do because i like it thicker, not watery)

serve with some buttered tray buns on the side!

:)
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I love making stir fries that contain all the essentials for a healthy balanced meal. It makes for quicker cleanup and easy to fix leftovers.

So I usually start with some sort of meat (ground beef, ground turkey, cubed chicken, etc) and brown it with an onion, then add the seasoning of my choice (McCormick taco seasoning is great! No MSG, and there is one with low sodium now too!). Then stir in two or three veggies you like (I choose from carrots, celery, squash, zucchini, bell pepper, eggplant, okra, snow peas, etc). Once the veggies have gotten well cooked, stir in some pre cooked brown rice and cook for another five minutes to let the rice soak up the flavor.

When you serve that you get everything you need in the meal, and you can add cheese or guacamole or sour cream :)

The key to that is to use seasonings you like.

But I am going to make a plug for a crock pot too. They have 4 quart crock pots for $15 on Amazon. (see the link below) The crock pot is a great way to make cheap nutritious meals, its super easy and there are an abundance of recipes to choose from.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AB32PE/sr=1-22/qid=1283491113/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1283491113&sr=1-22&seller=

Here is a blog with just slow cooker recipes. My family has tried a lot of them and they are all delicious, easy and most are healthy!

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Anyway, happy grocery shopping!
  • mamaDaisyJ
    Options
    my tuna sandwiches ~ I use tuna ( of course ) light, in water... egg (boiled) , chopped pickle, and mayo.

breakfast ~ we have oatmeal, kashi golean cereal, cheesy eggs with toast, boiled eggs, bacon (low sodium).
    usually aim for a carb and protein
    lunch ~ I do tuna frequently too, orrowheat makes a great thin bun, quick and easy... frozen with < 500 sodium, PB&J, leftovers.
    dinner ~ experiment.... protein ~ tilapia, pork chops, chicken, lean ground beef, cheese
    carb ~ rice, certain veggies, potatoes
    veggie ~ mix it in, or on the side, we use no sodium added green beans, cause family won't eat em if they didn't come from a can. Fresh corn, zucchini doesn't have it's own flavor

One of my favorite recipes ~ pizza burgers. Brown lean ground beef patties, then place in casserole dish, dump some homemade pizza sauce over it (hmm oops), then add a bit off mozzarella on top and bake 350 for 30 minutes..
    Ok, another without tomato ~ Mushroom chops, long bake time though. Brown pork chops, put in the casserole dish, dump a mixture of cream of mushroom soup, still condensed, a cup of mushrooms, and onion soup mix on top, 350 for 1 1/2 hours.
    We usually use the mushroom sauce as gravy for mashed potatoes~
  • djam98
    djam98 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i used to use the seasonings packets, but no more. I use chili powder, cumin, black pepper, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, of course minced garlic and chopped onion, salt if you like. you can control the amouth of each ingredient and you dont get the extra salt that the packets have.