any good snacks I could make in batch at home?

Options
Hey Im wondering if there are any good snack foods I could make at home. Something I could make in batch and have when hungry that can be taken from the fridge/freezer or just a container. I've seen some people make their own protein bars, but i'm not wanting to do this kind of snacking, just more low calorie/fat snacks is what i'm wondering about.

I only really do not like 2 things, coffee or nuts, but am willing to try anything new. Can any baked things be made reasonably healthy? I have no idea, really i'm just trying to learn more about foods/cooking. I think its madness living to 28 and only now starting to try learning these things.

cheers.

Replies

• SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I like date/walnut bars. You can use protein powder or chickpea flour instead of flour if you want more protein.

My favourite snack is bananas. Pre wrapped in a soft yellow degradable wrapper, and sweet and creamy but low fat!
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be baked goods. Frozen blueberries are amazing if you have the urge just to pick (you can almost kid yourself it's ice cream, even more so frozen banana). If you're more into savoury, sugar snap peas or radishes are great for picking too.

'Healthy' is kind of subjective. You could make some perfectly healthy biscuits with all wonderful ingredients, but there'll still be a high fat and carb content.

I generally eat what I like but restrict quantities if it's a less nutritional choice.

Favourite snack (apart from bananas) is a thin slice of my husband's home baked seeded sourdough bread with a smear of butter. Yum.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Also, don't know about you but snacking is really my downfall. I'll have 2 meals worth of calories in snacks if I'm not careful.

Best to sate the need with a glass of water before reaching for the snacks.

Oh, thought of another - hard boiled eggs. Cook up a batch and use to fill the hunger between meals.
  • LisaYon
    LisaYon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I take a serving of baby carrots with me on the road. There are 14 in a serving!! It also helps that potassium goal!
    I too need new ideas. I'm looking for "free foods" I want snacks to take the edge off, not fill me up!
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I was thinking you could make savory 'muffin bites' - just google that (or savory 'bites') and lots of recipes come up - easy to mix together and bake off. Freeze and grab when you need.

Just an example:
    http://www.damyhealth.com/2012/03/cauliflower-pizza-bites/

ps - If your name is Mark Webber - you have the exact same name as my brother!
  • markawebber
    Options
    cheers surfyfriend sounds like a nice idea with the banana snack pre-wrap.

cheers lisa, "free foods" good way of saying it! yea carrots as snacks... i just found online the idea of carrying containers of these kinds of snacks, so as not to feel like going into a store when on the move.

14mph - yea i've been drinking lots of water! really does help a lot - Last night i felt myself wanting something - went downstairs and could see nothing "good" to snack on, so just had water and went and forgot about feeling like a snack due to the water intake.

ohh frozen blueberries! not thought of this, sounds great!

shartran - yea Mark webber is my name - Damn name is so common - F1 driver with that name - an american actor - a band member. --- Oh great them 'muffin bites' look great! cheers for the tip! will see how that goes! great you can freeze too!
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My favorite snacks? When I shop I get a carton of strawberries, blueberries, grapes and then weigh them out and put in zip lock baggies for on the go and freeze half of them for frozen treats too.

I also buy pretzels filled with peanut butter. 8 of them is a serving and it hits my hunger spot.

What ever the snack, I just put the serving size in the zip locks and go.

And yes to water, I drink 8 8oz. glasses of water a day. Sometime with a wedge of lemon in it. Tasty!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Don't do much cooking so I'm not much help, OP... I'm just here to steal some ideas :flowerforyou:
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Apples, & cherries are great
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I know you said you really don't like nuts, but I like to make a big batch of trail mix using my favorite ingredients, then portion it out into little baggies and store them in the freezer. I ususally load my mix with lots of dried fruits, a little bit of chocolate, and pistachios. But you can really throw in whatever you like. Trail mix tends to be a bit on the "indulgent" side because it is higher in fat and calories than some other snacks, but if you stick to dried fruits with no added sugar, you basically looking at an all-natural snack that's loaded with protein, good fats, and some good carbs for fuel.
  • markawebber
    Options
    I know you said you really don't like nuts, but I like to make a big batch of trail mix using my favorite ingredients, then portion it out into little baggies and store them in the freezer. I ususally load my mix with lots of dried fruits, a little bit of chocolate, and pistachios. But you can really throw in whatever you like. Trail mix tends to be a bit on the "indulgent" side because it is higher in fat and calories than some other snacks, but if you stick to dried fruits with no added sugar, you basically looking at an all-natural snack that's loaded with protein, good fats, and some good carbs for fuel.

I'll for sure give this a go.. I really tried getting into nuts, but they were bigger nuts, i'll for sure give the trail mix a go, interesting idea about putting them in the freezer! Dried fruits with no added sugar! will look into this. for chocolate - some kind of chocolate spread? or do you crumble milk/plain chocolate into the bags?
    Don't do much cooking so I'm not much help, OP... I'm just here to steal some ideas flowerforyou

This site seems great for stealing ideas!!! i'm liking the very nice helpful people.
    My favorite snacks? When I shop I get a carton of strawberries, blueberries, grapes and then weigh them out and put in zip lock baggies for on the go and freeze half of them for frozen treats too.

I also buy pretzels filled with peanut butter. 8 of them is a serving and it hits my hunger spot.

What ever the snack, I just put the serving size in the zip locks and go.

And yes to water, I drink 8 8oz. glasses of water a day. Sometime with a wedge of lemon in it. Tasty!

ohh nice i especially like the idea of lemon in water from time to time. and zip lock bags to stick to portion size, seems to be coming up often, so for sure a great idea. Cheers.