plussize or previous plussize ladies who lift??

Options
hey ladies, i've started lifting (machines... i know ) and i'm 229 pounds.. (104kgs) and i just wanna get an idea of what results i can look forward to..
did the fat melt off you? or did you remain the same size for quite a while during ?
show me your results

Replies

• princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    bumpdity bump bump...
  • kmrichardson1
    kmrichardson1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Lifting (strong lifts), along with a calorie deficit and some cardio have reshaped my body! I have lost a total of 24 pounds, 4.5 inches from my waist, an inch from each arm, two inches from my hips, 2 inches from my bust, and an inch from each thigh. I started as a tight 16 and now I can fit into some 12's.

Hope this helps!
  • Jenny_Ren1
    Jenny_Ren1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Lifting (strong lifts), along with a calorie deficit and some cardio have reshaped my body!

Hope this helps!

This^^^
    That's what I do, as well. I've only lost 15 lbs since following my strong lifts/cardio routine, but I've lost several inches. I've especially noticed a difference in my arms and waist/hip area. I started at the beginning of May. Good luck!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I started a bit higher than you, i was doing cardio and machines and about 2 weeks ago switched to free weights.

the weight doesn't melt off, sorry.

but - it does come off, slowly but surely, and my body is changing.

It's not *just* the weights/exercise, but you have to eat the correct amount of cals, and drink a lot of water.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Was not plus sized when I started lifting but I did majorly reshape my body (pics on profile). Mostly, I'm here to say OP YOUR HAIR IS AWESOME!
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options
    Was not plus sized when I started lifting but I did majorly reshape my body (pics on profile). Mostly, I'm here to say OP YOUR HAIR IS AWESOME!

Ha ha thanks :) im going to do strong lifts as it seems the easiest program for my brain to use... but in two weeks... :)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I started lifting at around 220 the results have been pretty good have a look at my profile :)
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options
    I started a bit higher than you, i was doing cardio and machines and about 2 weeks ago switched to free weights.

It's not *just* the weights/exercise, but you have to eat the correct amount of cals, and drink a lot of water.

Im eatting 15% under my TDEE ... noticing changes.. muscle wise... but I want the fat to go and for my body to fit smaller clothes.... im hoping that muscle doesnt just replace the fat... and I remain this size... .. I know I will lose some inches... as muscle is dense... urgh guess time will tell... only been at it for about 2-3 weeks now.. 3 times a week...
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I started lifting somewhere around 220... I will say that the actual number loss will likely be slower. Prepare yourself for that. BUT--you won't end up skinny fat when you reach your goal weight. The plus side is that you LOOK like you weigh less than you actually do. And your skin will be less likely to sag once you're at goal weight. It's definitely worth the slower number loss...promise! I recommend trying to find out your body fat percentage and then re-checking that to see your progress, rather than only using the scale.
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options
    I started lifting at around 220 the results have been pretty good have a look at my profile :)

Love it!! My area is the tummy.. and you totally shrunk yours.
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options
    I started lifting somewhere around 220... I will say that the actual number loss will likely be slower. Prepare yourself for that. BUT--you won't end up skinny fat when you reach your goal weight. The plus side is that you LOOK like you weigh less than you actually do. And your skin will be less likely to sag once you're at goal weight. It's definitely worth the slower number loss...promise! I recommend trying to find out your body fat percentage and then re-checking that to see your progress, rather than only using the scale.

I did see a thread on fat % calculated a few numbers... and cause im too overweight.. I was told he couldnt do a bf% for me... all good... you ladies have encouraged me all the more. Xo
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Your gym might have a machine that can check... those are better than nothing!
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I started at 253 pounds, and I am now down 60.5 pounds to 192.5. I am about the same weight I was when I graduated high school, but I wore a size 16 then. I am currently wearing a very comfortable 14. My body has drastically changed. My legs, arms, and shoulders are more shapely instead of lumpy. My butt is a lot more "lifted" and not so dang flat. I am amazed that I am as heavy as I am but look the way I do. Not to mention, lifting the heavy stuff makes me feel like a super hero.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I actually need to take new progress pics next weekend. I started stronglifts in January and have been eating between TDEE and TDEE-25% (mostly cutting, but lately been going out to eat a lot, so who knows what I've been eating).

Julycomparisonside_zps15cabbeb.jpg

Julycomparisonfront_zps0fb2ddcc.jpg

ETA: the scale changes aren't always truely reflective. I've lost three pants sizes since January, and weight loss has drastically slowed down the past few months. But, my close are still fitting looser (again, the scale would probably be doing better if I wasn't consistently eating too much).
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options
    Thanks so much ladies for taking the time to post on this thread .... I needed it...
  • missmidge84
    missmidge84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You can see my pics on my profile. I started at 262 and am down almost 75 pounds. Went from a size 22/24 to 12/14 right now. I started lifting in December (did Jillian Michaels at home for 12 weeks when I started in October).
    Edited to add that I do TDEE-15/20%. Never eaten less than 1900 cals a day.
  • retropactum
    retropactum Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have been looking into lifting as well, but I cannot afford a gym membership. All the articles I read are really confusing and I find myself pondering the idea of lift more than actually getting started.

I am at a loss of where or how to start. Help, help!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Im eatting 15% under my TDEE ... noticing changes.. muscle wise... but I want the fat to go and for my body to fit smaller clothes.... im hoping that muscle doesnt just replace the fat... and I remain this size... .. I know I will lose some inches... as muscle is dense... urgh guess time will tell... only been at it for about 2-3 weeks now.. 3 times a week...

If you're eating 15% under your TDEE, you aren't gaining any muscle at all and will only get smaller as time goes on. I have taken measurements all over my body every 1-2 months for the last 2+ years and I have gotten smaller (or stayed the same - particularly on the more minor measurements like wrists or neck) every single time I take measurements. I have never gotten bigger in any measurement.
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options
    Wow... love the progress ladies :)
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options

If you're eating 15% under your TDEE, you aren't gaining any muscle at all and will only get smaller as time goes on. I have taken measurements all over my body every 1-2 months for the last 2+ years and I have gotten smaller (or stayed the same - particularly on the more minor measurements like wrists or neck) every single time I take measurements. I have never gotten bigger in any measurement.
    hmmm... but id be at least preserving the muscle I have... I did skip the re set period... as ive never been on a low cal diet... but... maybe I should to gain that muscle first? However like I said I feel that my body has changed with the weights I have done... so far :) its only been a week at TDEE -15% no changes to scale... or measurements... bust waist and hips... I can see more definition in my thighs... and I can see and feel my biceps! !! Im happy with lifting.. I just wanna see my belly gone faster then it has been... thanks for all the advice and the progress reports... xo