calves on fire. help? (:

I figured I'd start running, jogging, walking since I'm weighing 148 with height of 5"3. After I haf my son almost 3 years ago I've always had burning in my calves whether it'd be from walking around the mall. Standing at my old job for 10hrs. Every one told me it's bc I didn't exercise! So June 17 I started hip hop abs, legs still on fire! I started to walk and jog about a week ago to build my muscles. I do intervals though to get more out of it. Well yesterday my calves were burning so were my shins. I figured i had shin splints so i just slowly jog my 2miles figured what the heck. Went for a mile walk afterwards. Still on fire. I stretch, I have good shoes, what is it. Cause my legs burn no matter if I just do normal things or exercise. I have a doctor's August 7. Untill then any ideas?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    I had leg pain (side of my shins, above my ankles). In my case, it was a case of needing to get new shoes and too much too soon. Start out small and work your way up. After I got new shoes the pain instantly went away, it was amazing.
  • I had leg pain (side of my shins, above my ankles). In my case, it was a case of needing to get new shoes and too much too soon. Start out small and work your way up. After I got new shoes the pain instantly went away, it was amazing.
    The pain is every day wheather I wear shoes or not. I wear nikes all the time lol husband & I are nike freaks.
    I did start out slow even if I just walk the 1 mile calves are on fire. At the end of a normal non working out day on FIRE. :(
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Still sounds like you need to be fitted for a good pair of shoes. I get lower back pain if I don't have good shoes. Some days I have to wear shoes around the house just to make the pain go away. If you're flat footed, pronate or supinate it could be causing the pain, even when you're not wearing shoes.
  • Still sounds like you need to be fitted for a good pair of shoes. I get lower back pain if I don't have good shoes. Some days I have to wear shoes around the house just to make the pain go away. If you're flat footed, pronate or supinate it could be causing the pain, even when you're not wearing shoes.
    My husband was telling me the other day I have flat feet. I'm like I have an arch can't you see. He swears up and down their flat. I'll have to ask the doctor next week. It's just about every day they burn bad.
    Before I had my son shoe size was 7.5 afterwards I became a 8.5, 8 fits to tight 8.5 gives me a little extra space (:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Do you have pain in your heel? I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot and it affects my calf as well. Pain is worse in the morning.
  • LanKin101
    LanKin101 Posts: 3 Member
    Get your self a foam roller, some new good proper fitting shoes, and possibly your progressed to quick in your exercise before your body was ready. There is a major difference between the cheapy $30 runner and Saucony and New balance (my 2 favorite). Foam rollers are worth the $25 investment. So important, its like giving yourself a massage and will really help with the recovery. All the best! :smile:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    i used to have what felt like hundreds of tiny cramps in my calves every night. got a magnesium supplement and it went away. after a while i didn't need it anymore (diet change?), but it still comes back every once in a while - multivitamins and electrolytes seem to help most of the time...
  • Do you have pain in your heel? I have plantar fasciitis in my right foot and it affects my calf as well. Pain is worse in the morning.
    No my heel is fine. The pain is horrible at night about 20mims after a wall or run or exercise and all night.
  • Get your self a foam roller, some new good proper fitting shoes, and possibly your progressed to quick in your exercise before your body was ready. There is a major difference between the cheapy $30 runner and Saucony and New balance (my 2 favorite). Foam rollers are worth the $25 investment. So important, its like giving yourself a massage and will really help with the recovery. All the best! :smile:
    I actually saw on pinterest last night a using a tenis ball. Would that help? The last thing I want to do is stop working out. I've seen a big differnce in myself. 6weeks. I'll slow it down a bit though :)