Potassium Help!

Options
sunnyk8
sunnyk8 Posts: 125 Member
I looked at my totals today and I am consistently very low on potassium. I was reading up on it and apparently that is a really vital part of healthy eating... potassium gives you energy, helps your muscles move, and balances your Ph so you have happy organs :).

Does anyone have any ideas of how to get potassium? I know that bananas are high in potassium, but I really don't like just eating a banana... the taste/texture is not my thing. Perhaps a healthier banana bread recipe? I could have a slice for breakfast or a snack or dessert, of course.

How do you guys get your potassium?

Replies

• Lauris83
    Options
    some of the foods I've eaten lately that I noticed had a good amount of potassium in them were tuna, yogurt, cucumber & brocolli. I started paying attention to my potassium lately cause I noticed my sodium intake was too high and I heard potassium can help offset some of it.
  • sunnyk8
    Options
    some of the foods I've eaten lately that I noticed had a good amount of potassium in them were tuna, yogurt, cucumber & brocolli. I started paying attention to my potassium lately cause I noticed my sodium intake was too high and I heard potassium can help offset some of it.

Oh really? That's awesome, another benefit of potassium. I need that, too.
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    So my husband needs to eat high amounts of potassium so I find myself to be the expert...lol...
    ~banannas (obviously) If you dont like eating them how bout throwing them in the blender with your other fav fruits and some water and ice for a smoothie?
    ~potatoes
    ~Simply orange Orange Juice (has like 450 mg potassium) My hubby drinks this every day
    ~ yougurt (but only certain types so read the labels
    ~Peanut Butter
    ....these are a few I know...hope they help=)
  • schwarzaj
    schwarzaj Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    coconut water is extremely high, way more than a banana
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    banana, almond, nuts, daily vitamin - vegan adult chewable pineapple flavored all natural ones, I'm not a vegan but I like the idea that it's chewable. (find it at a health food store)

also Look here.
    http://www.highbloodpressureinfo.org/potassium-rich-foods.html

Watch the brazil nuts though, you can actually OD on them and it's not even mildly fun to eat too many of them a day, it's uncomfortable for like a week after if you do. But they also are great to eat so if you can add them, a few a day then that's good :)
  • 623Hernandez
    Options
    sunflower seeds... check it out.
  • JForbrizzio
    Options
    You can buy potassium salt at the drug store to replace your regular shake on salt, but don't be to too excessive, it's a very small equilibrium you're body is trying to maintain (just a few grams a day). I personally wouldn't worry about it unless your getting cramps or any other symptoms of low K.
  • sunnyk8
    Options
    I personally wouldn't worry about it unless your getting cramps or any other symptoms of low K.

I have had a few of the symptoms I read about. They could be due to other causes, but as it is I am getting only about 1/3 of the daily K recommendation, so it wouldn't be a shock if low K was the cause.
  • djam98
    djam98 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    ok Mr Oz, :P where do you get coco nut water??
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I looked at my totals today and I am consistently very low on potassium. I was reading up on it and apparently that is a really vital part of healthy eating... potassium gives you energy, helps your muscles move, and balances your Ph so you have happy organs :).

Does anyone have any ideas of how to get potassium? I know that bananas are high in potassium, but I really don't like just eating a banana... the taste/texture is not my thing. Perhaps a healthier banana bread recipe? I could have a slice for breakfast or a snack or dessert, of course.

How do you guys get your potassium?

Yes, bananas are a good source and you can add it to a protein smothie or mix it with other fruits and yogourt for desert. Also low sodium Vegetable juice (V8 or the market brand) is a good source of potassium, so is broccoli. Check that you are not over doing it the sodium intake, which will deplete potassium from your system. And I think that some table salts also have extra potassium.
  • meshaffer
    meshaffer Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    most fruits and vegetables are a good source of potassium. Nectarines, bananas, and apples. Broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoes. :)

Your potassium level should be higher than your sodium level at the end of the day :)
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Try taking a multivitamin with your regular diet. if it upsets your stomach cut it in half (if scored) and take twice a day with meals. once i was cutting my calories i decided to use a multi to cover me incase i wasn't getting what i needed from my food. also don't forget about dark green leafy veggis.
  • qifitness
    qifitness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this as well. There seems to be a flaw in the MFP database.

To test this I entered a meal of fruits containing good levels of potassium - apricots (both fresh and dried), melon, banana, figs, prunes etc.

When I checked the result on my iPhone app, it showed a potassium intake of ZERO!

I'd add that these were entered as 'generic' foods, not from users' contributions, so not reliant on input from food labels, which often don't show potassium content.
  • viverevolution
    viverevolution Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A whole avocado has almost 1,000 mg of potassium.
    Also, coconut water is available at stores like Whole Foods but is expensive.
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    ok Mr Oz, :P where do you get coco nut water??
    Try your local Asian market.

Potassium is also necessarily for strong bones since calcium can't do its thing with out potassium present.