Home Gym for Crossfit?

Options
Still thinking of doing the 'home gym' thing, but scared of:

1) the cost - In the long run, I will be saving money, but at first it will be expensive to get the basic equipment (barbell, kettlebell, etc).

2) the quality of cheaper equipment - D's Sporting Goods has a 225lb weight set with a barbell for under $200....not sure if I should take the leap. Everything else can be made at home, wall balls, pull up bar, plyo box.

Anyone have any opinions on home gyms?

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    My home gym cost about 18 months worth of crossfit. that was enough for a power rack, bumpers, pull up bar, couple barbells..

I don't crossfit though.
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    If you're into lots of lifting, I suggest a gym.

a) Variety in weights, machines, cardio etc. (at a good gym, you won't feel limited)
    b) Already has the proper flooring (mirrors are a bonus)
    c) Social aspect - get tips and ideas from others lifting heavy
    d) Safety - if you seriously injure yourself, you won't be alone
    e) Some gyms will buy whatever equipment you want that they don't have

I did the home gym thing for a while to get me started and it worked well because I wasn't lifting. I just had a good mat, medicine balls, jump rope - small things of the sort. Now I'm at a point that I need to get lifting and the gym is the only way I can see doing it. With all the benefits above, I can't justify spending 1000s of dollars on the equipment that the gym already has for $45/month. Plus, all that stuff would take up a good chunk of my home!

Best of luck!
  • xunleashed
    xunleashed Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Here is the link for the weight set in case anyone had a thought on this.

http://tinyurl.com/lv9jhsb

This would cover a majority of the major movements, I have 35lb kettlebells and I would make a pullup bar for the garage.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Love my home gym (squat rack, bench, pull-up/dip tower, DBs). Craigslist and some patience are the way to to go.

Also, there's lots of stuff between cheap ****'s stuff and high end pro grade stuff.

Finally, things like squat racks, power cages, plates, DBs... quality is all pretty decent. Yea, better stuff might be better, but even the cheap stuff will be solid and fine for most home users. Something like like a barbell might be worth spending more on if you're pushing big weight. From everything I've seen, the more expensive stuff is nicer in that the welds are cleaner, the adjustments are easier/smoother, etc. My $500 squat cage is just as sturdy/solid as the $3000 ones I use at my gym.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    For me, I want to have the opportunity to use some equipment at home, but when I factor in what I'd be losing from my group classes, it's not worth the exchange right now.

- Rubber flooring can be expensive, and I wouldn't want to risk denting my hardwood floors dropping a kettlebell.
    - I actually enjoy the group setting! The community is supportive and I get to meet people who expand my social network.
    - I like having a trainer there to tell me when to switch movements, etc. It lets me focus more on what I'm doing.
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The great thing about buying used equipment for your home is it rarely losses much value. I've invested a fair amount into my gym but I'm very confident I could get more back out of it than i put in if i decided to sell it.