Women who lift

Options
Hey All -

I have been lifting weights for about a year but only recently have been lifting "heavy". I am looking for MFPs with common interests that I can learn from and be inspired by. Please add me as your friend!

Thanks!
Danielle

Replies

• Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start lifting shortly. I've been wanting to for some time, but I haven't started yet. I had a major surgery two weeks ago tomorrow, and I know I am not allowed to lift/pick-up, anything more than 10lbs for three months. So it'll be at least that long before I start.

But once I get started, WATCH OUT!!! *lol*

-David / BootJockey
    -257 pounds
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    The hell is ' lifting heavy'?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Progressive strength training, presumably, to contrast it to people who do dozens of reps of pink dumbbells because they don't want to bulk up.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options

Progressive strength training, presumably, to contrast it to people who do dozens of reps of pink dumbbells because they don't want to bulk up.

Oh no! Life won't be the same without my pinkies!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtwuW3fwahaizEiHkI2ncJT1FF01iNXC52ckOoGLT5Ku0FL2Ilcg

OP I am starting out too, real slow...real real slow so feel free to add me.
  • noranda82
    noranda82 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 10 of my Bowflex heavy lifting plan and I LOVE it! Although I'm still overweight and thus all the muscle is still hidden, I feel stronger, more fit, and have more energy overall. I do one set of 8-12 reps per 12 full-body exercise three times a week. I started benching 80 lb and am now up to 110 lb. Yesterday I got my heart rate up to 175 bpm just from lifting. It's a GREAT way to burn extra calories!

I'm ALL for heavy lifting for women. Go for it girls!
  • ekfulton
    ekfulton Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy - and love it. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    "lifting heavy" is relative; i started out at about 65% of my perceived effort and moved up from there. I'm 5'4" and 130lbs, so my deadlift started out at 65lbs and my bench press started out with just the bar (if less). Right now I've sort of tapered off--just doing heavy lifting 1-2x/week to keep in the practice, but my main focus is training for a Half Marathon. Feel free to friend me; I'll be picking it up again in the end of October. Good luck!
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your new training program! I am a big believer in resistance training. I've been doing Starting Strength for a while now.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Another SL5x5 rookie (about 8wks in, still working on form, so no big increases in weight). I'm 51yo, 5'4", 205lbs and also looking for lifting friends.
  • jsbieniek
    jsbieniek Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have just started with a trainer this week at our "local" gym (about 20 minutes out!). I'm looking forward to it as I've been doing classes with low weight/high reps for awhile. Now I'm ready to bump it up. Yesterday was assessment day, tomorrow is first actual training day.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Also lifting here. 3 days a week, Modified Stronglifts 5X5 program. :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Oh no! Life won't be the same without my pinkies!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtwuW3fwahaizEiHkI2ncJT1FF01iNXC52ckOoGLT5Ku0FL2Ilcg

OP I am starting out too, real slow...real real slow so feel free to add me.

It doesn't have to be that way. After a shoulders session, try shoulder pressing the pink dumbbells. It's hard work! :laugh:
  • jasonsdragon
    jasonsdragon Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey There. I also lift but new to this site.
    I am 5' 0" and 160.. wear a size 8 jeans
    Women will not bulk up unless there is steroid use. you will get stronger and your muscles will build and define. you do need to be aware that women when they are very active I.e. heavy aerobic and strength training your mentral cycle can become irregular and or stop. If you are trying to concieve talk with your doctor.
    Have lifted for many years. I love it and strength train 3 days a week, I do ab work and walk/run 6 days a week.
    :happy:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Women will not bulk up unless there is steroid use. you will get stronger and your muscles will build and define. you do need to be aware that women when they are very active I.e. heavy aerobic and strength training your mentral cycle can become irregular and or stop. If you are trying to concieve talk with your doctor.
    Have lifted for many years. I love it and strength train 3 days a week, I do ab work and walk/run 6 days a week.

sigh.

no.

women bulk when they eat at a calorie suprlus OR take drugs- you can get bigger without drugs.

The only way to get bigger is to eat at a calorie suprlus (or take drugs but we aren't going there).... it's hard work and it's possible.

It's laughable how people say "I don't want to get big and bulky" please- it's insulting to those of us who work at this to think it happens on accident or over night- it takes deliberate and consistent work to get BIG- then you have to cut. And THEN you start looking like a body builder- but it takes MONTHS pushing YEARS to build that body.

It won't happen over night.

As far as the period things... that's not that serious- you can miss upwards of 3 and it's not an issue. Few people are dedciated enough to work hard enough to cause their bodies to force that kind of change. And skipping a period- seriously- not the end of the world.

I train 6 days a week and have for a long while- I've missed one period. It's seriously not that big of a crisis- you know they make drugs now that make you skip it- skipping a period is a god send- not a reason to panic.
  • gensteele1
    gensteele1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

sigh.

no.

women bulk when they eat at a calorie suprlus OR take drugs- you can get bigger without drugs.

The only way to get bigger is to eat at a calorie suprlus (or take drugs but we aren't going there).... it's hard work and it's possible.

It's laughable how people say "I don't want to get big and bulky" please- it's insulting to those of us who work at this to think it happens on accident or over night- it takes deliberate and consistent work to get BIG- then you have to cut. And THEN you start looking like a body builder- but it takes MONTHS pushing YEARS to build that body.

It won't happen over night.

As far as the period things... that's not that serious- you can miss upwards of 3 and it's not an issue. Few people are dedciated enough to work hard enough to cause their bodies to force that kind of change. And skipping a period- seriously- not the end of the world.

I train 6 days a week and have for a long while- I've missed one period. It's seriously not that big of a crisis- you know they make drugs now that make you skip it- skipping a period is a god send- not a reason to panic.

I am totally experiencing the irregularity thing. Even on the pill and I've been spotting for 3 weeks! Doctor says the hormones are just out of whack and prescribed me a new pill to start so that they will level out. It is a pain having to deal with this small matter, but hey, I have an almost 18mo old and know a new baby is not in the picture at the moment. I'm trying to get my LIFT ON! Good luck ladies.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    U can add me if you'd like:)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I am totally experiencing the irregularity thing. Even on the pill and I've been spotting for 3 weeks! Doctor says the hormones are just out of whack and prescribed me a new pill to start so that they will level out. It is a pain having to deal with this small matter, but hey, I have an almost 18mo old and know a new baby is not in the picture at the moment. I'm trying to get my LIFT ON! Good luck ladies.

blargh that sucks- irregularity and spotting is way worse than anything. hopefully you get that sorted out!!! I'm switching pills this coming week actually- hoping the seasonique will cut out my periods- and hopefully I won't have mad crazy spotting with it (some women get frequent spotting- esp when they first start)