What is the best % split Carbs/Protein/Fat

Options
2»

Replies

• zeetje
    zeetje Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am liking 45/25/30.

It looks like for everyone it is a different split...:huh: I wonder what mine would be

This is how I calculated mine:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

I shoot for 100g protein and 72g fats. My calorie goal is 2000, so I use the grams and multiply calories per gram, then divide by 2000 to arrive at the percentage, then round it for MFP. I know my grams to hit each day, and I worry more about that than the percentage of calories.

Thanks a lot for this!! Now I understand it better! I also calculated as above Protein 90 g & Fat 50 g are minimum and Carbs variable!

I set my Macros at C 40% P 30% F 30%
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. A poster above already linked to a good post on the subject.

Sometimes it is good to not think in terms of percentages, but think in grams. I aim for 1 gram per pound of body weight for protein, right around half that for fat. I have the 40/30/30 set as my percentages, but I don't pay attention to that as much as whether I hit the gram goals.

For your height and weight and bodyfat percent, the 40/30/30 ratio is a good ratio to start with. You may want to up the protein and reduce the carbs just slightly, but you don't need to change the percents to do that. Just eat a little more of one and less of the others and pay attention to the grams as opposed to the percents.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    im at 40c/30p/30f. i find that it works for me. i try to eat about 1800/day but my goal is to put muscle vs lose weight :)
  • JacMarieSTL
    JacMarieSTL Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm at 40% C, 30% F, 30% P.. so I'm interested to hear what others are doing.

THIS!!!! I was so afraid of adding more carbs in my diet. But after meeting with a trainer, she informed me that I wasnt eating a good balance for carbs/fat/protein. I changed up the macros, and ate no more than 1600 calories per day. In 6 weeks I lost 16 pounds, gained 4 lbs of muscle, lost 9 inches overall, and lost 6% body fat... clearly carbs ARE NOT the devil I once thought they were! :)

Thanks for this!!! I have been afraid of carbs also.:frown: , now since 2 weeks intentionally eat them! still feel a little guilty... hopefully will be seeing results too soon!

I think the most important part is making sure your carbs are good carbs!! I dont eat anything white really... Brown or whole grain rice, sweet potoates, carbs from sugars, etc. Just be choosey with them. But dont be afraid!! :) Another thing Ive learned, is that it really depends on your activity level. I'm in the gym 6 days a week, and I do complete body strength training 3 of those days. So I really need the extra added energy that Carbs provide.
  • mcouturezz
    mcouturezz Posts: 145
    Options
    mine are set to 50/25/25 with 100% heavy cardio/circuit training .. carbs are not the enemy, you just have to know the difference between good and bad carbs :)
    if I dont have enough of it I lack energy and I feel like I cant push as much during my workouts.

you just have to choose what works for you and your routine !