extra skin

Options
Anyone else thats lost like 110+ lbs having trouble with extra skin. like it folds when u sleep and feel awkward lol. or working out certain things it folds on you. mostly the back

Replies

• kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have lost close to 180 pounds n do find when lying flat on my back I sometimes have to pull the skin on my lower back to the sides so it lies flat.... But apart from that I don't really have any issues...it doesn't effect my workouts etc n I don't get rashes or anything
  • candrusiak
    candrusiak Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've got so much loose skin under my arms that the doctor has trouble taking my BP. Not a bad problem to have I suppose.
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have lost close to 180 pounds n do find when lying flat on my back I sometimes have to pull the skin on my lower back to the sides so it lies flat.... But apart from that I don't really have any issues...it doesn't effect my workouts etc n I don't get rashes or anything

thats exactly what i mean ill do chest press and it will fold and get pinned on seat as i push and pinch lmao. but biggest thing is the sleeping ill wake up and hve moved while i was sleeping a fold was there and makes my back sore cause i didnt knoe. mines upper back not lower back
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The extra skin certainly sucks - yes it gets in the way, I hate the way it looks and all that jazz. I won't wear short sleeve or sleeveless shirts because my arms look horrible. Unless I'm swimming, I won't wear skirts or shorts above the knee because my legs look like melting candle sticks.

But, I love my extra skin. It means I've lost almost 150 pounds. It means I'm stronger now than I've ever been. It means I can swim farther, bike faster, and run harder than most people I know. I'd much rather deal with tugging some skin around instead of lugging around 150 extra pounds! :drinker:
  • jaxsue
    jaxsue Posts: 2
    Options
    I like your attitude about the extra skin. It's a badge of accomplishment! I've only lost 20 pounds so far, but I can tell that I'm going to have some serious extra skin issues on my stomach. I'm going to adopt your opinion on the subject. Thanks!
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have lost a total of 103lbs so far, only 68 since I have been on MFP though. But I have noticed that I don't have any loose skin on my back but I definitely have lots of loose skin on my upper arms and my upper part of my stomach and it is very discouraging! I am loving the way I look with clothes on but once I take them off I am frustrated by my skin.
    I keep telling myself in due time I will get my self a "Mommy make over" once I hit my goal...lol
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    After losing 200 pounds most of my extra skin is my stomach. Thing is I look just like I did just smaller. I still have a stomach overhang. I was hoping it would be flatter by now but it is getting better slowly.

When I lie on my back, the skin shows there is little fat underneath as I can feel under my ribs. It isn't as bad as I was expecting (I was over 370 pounds) but I have to be patient and hope most of it goes over time.

I am sure the extra skin is why I keep getting backache especially after lying down or sitting in the same position for a while. I have had it for a couple of years now and it isn't as bad as it used to be. A year ago it was so bad that I could hardly move. I had to wait for it to stop.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations on your weight loss! That is fantastic!

When I reached around 140 lbs I started noticing lots of loose skin, so I made an appointment with my doctor to talk about my options. My doctors said if I am patient and want to avoid surgery(which I did) than I would be able to tone up the loose skin I had. And thankfully, she was right! Over the course of the year, I was able to tone it up.

I recommend making a doctors appointment to see what he/she has to say. There are also non-surgical options like Skin Tightening procedures. They are costly, but avoid you going under the knife if you don't want to do that.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I have lost 202 pounds and have lots of extra skin. Mostly in my stomach, thighs and arms. I wear sleeveless shirts and anything else I desire -- I wear my saggy skin like a medal of achievement. I used to be very self conscious... now I am who I am. I have scars from a battle -- but it's a battle I won.
  • anglhart
    anglhart Posts: 5
    Options
    @Wuggums...LOVED your reply, and you are so right! If i had a choice of having the 67 lbs back I lost or the issue with extra skin, I'd choose extra skin any day of the week. To everyone who posted, keep up the good work and forget about the extra skin...it's better than the EXTRA high blood pressure, EXTRA time it takes to walk up a flight of stairs, EXTRA Dr visits due to EXTRA weight, etc etc.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Definitely talk to your doctor. Sometimes insurance will cover surgery. A lot of the time it will snap back if you're young, and since you're 27, there's still a good chance it might just pop back after a while. Strength training helps. I did a blog post at the beginning of the month on loose skin with some skincare tips and tricks. I know you're a guy and probably don't want to spend your time rubbing lotions and potions all over, but maybe trying an exfoliating cloth to get the blood moving would help and it wouldn't be an addition so much as a replacement in your normal routine (I'm assuming you shower here :D). It won't work miracles, but you never know! Here's the post:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/aquarabbit?month=201307
    But I agree that you should be proud of that skin too. It's a trophy for the progress you've made! It sucks that it is getting in your way but still. That is an amazing accomplishment!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    The extra skin I have isn't annoying yet.
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I have done a little research and found that some burn centers will harvest your skin if you want to donate it.

I have so much it is annoying! I heard it takes 3-5 years for whatever shrinkage will happen to happen.

It hangs, folds, rashes, irritates, and plain out is ANNOYING!

Just think I have about 80 more pounds to lose and what will my skin do then!!! UGH
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Bump to read this later
  • calmthundr2
    calmthundr2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it takes 2 years after you loose the weight for skin to retract as much as it will ever so if it hasn't been that long you may get some relief from time passing. Since I have just met my goal about a month ago, I can't tell you much for certain.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I agree with the arms and belly part. I haven't noticed a back issue. I agree with other posters, that I certainly don't find it embarrassing in any way. I have lost ~95 lbs over 18 months and about 115 from my peak weight. Hoping things tighten up, but if not I won't be too upset. I carried that extra weight for over 30 years, my skin isn't going to bounce back overnight.
  • DeeBrownBaker
    Options
    on my weightloss journey, I've lost a total of 111 lbs... and I wear all kinds of body armor during the day (spanx is my friend!!)... that flabby stuff must behave during workouts and my workday... its when I set the flab free at the end of the day... HORRIBLE!! Because I'm 40+ I don't see my skin retracting much... so I'm saving for plastic surgery once I hit my goal weight and maintain for at least a yr... 60 more lbs to go!!
  • DeeBrownBaker
    Options
    I have lost 202 pounds and have lots of extra skin. Mostly in my stomach, thighs and arms. I wear sleeveless shirts and anything else I desire -- I wear my saggy skin like a medal of achievement. I used to be very self conscious... now I am who I am. I have scars from a battle -- but it's a battle I won.

I LOVE THIS!!!! :drinker:
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I just pretend that the flapping loose skin is really applause as I run. :laugh:

Going to have to put in a lot of hard work to build muscle to pull the skin on the arms, chest, and thighs tight... The gut; that's next years problem.
  • FearlessRobb
    FearlessRobb Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    First off, congratulations on your weight loss! That is fantastic!

When I reached around 140 lbs I started noticing lots of loose skin, so I made an appointment with my doctor to talk about my options. My doctors said if I am patient and want to avoid surgery(which I did) than I would be able to tone up the loose skin I had. And thankfully, she was right! Over the course of the year, I was able to tone it up.

I recommend making a doctors appointment to see what he/she has to say. There are also non-surgical options like Skin Tightening procedures. They are costly, but avoid you going under the knife if you don't want to do that.

yea i wont consider surgery till all else fails but im faaaaar from that lol