Teachers?

Options
Hi! I am new to the site, but recently stepped on the scale and was FLOORED by what I saw. I hadn't ever seen that number on a scale. I guess I never really thought that "It's just 5 lbs" could add up so quickly!

I want to get healthy and fit for myself. But it will also be an added benefit to show my kids, my husband and my students that being healthy is a lifestyle choice that is rewarding.

That being said.... the fall is quickly approaching- and for me it is one of the busiest times of the year. I am a teacher. It will be especially busy this year since my principal has asked me to move from third grade to kindergarten. It will be a big change, and I want to make some big lifestyle changes too!

Any teachers out there that want to hold one another accountable for getting healthy?! If so let me know!

Replies

• VeiledSapphire
    Options
    Well, I'm not a teacher, yet. I'm a student in the education field trying to loose weight before I go back to college and start my field studies. I want to make a change in my activities and improve my recovery from a serious accident I was in about a year and half ago. I would love someone to keep me accountable for my habits!
  • GatorGirl0890
    GatorGirl0890 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my student teaching in September! Hoping to be a real teacher soon =) How much do you have to lose?
  • bennysammysofie
    Options
    Teacher here too...do not...I repeat...do NOT eat the cafeteria food!!!!!!
  • AngDenSti
    AngDenSti Posts: 184
    Options
    I'm a teacher too. I do so well in the summer, but the school year is hard. I can fit in the working out, but staying away from all the goodies my students bring me is hard! I will add all of you!
  • gymteachermommy
    Options
    I teach PE and you would think that's an automatic ticket to daily exercise. Not so! I likewise do great in the summer yet it never takes long for less sleep, more stress, my own childrens' homework load, and whatever else to derail me. FLAT OUT DETERMINED to not let this school year take its toll on me! Add me and this school year will be the one that gets it done!
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Feel free to friend me. I teach high school. I tend to gain weight during the school year and then either lose or maintain over the summer - last school year I managed to lose a few pounds in the spring time and I've maintained since then; my goal is to being able to maintain a healthy lifestyle (and a real life! What a concept!) during the school year and stop this cycle of gain/lose/gain/lose every year.
  • _KrisMarie_
    _KrisMarie_ Posts: 146
    Options
    Count me in! I'm a teacher. I work in special education and I'm going to a new middle school this year, back to a behavior intervention program I used to work in. I'll also be taking one college course towards my gen ed license, teaching catechism (pre-K), and I have my own kiddo at home most of the week. Yep, it's going to be a busy year!

Good luck with the start of school everyone! We're back in one week and students are back in two. How about you?
  • stephaniejones262004
    Options
    I'm moving grade levels too. I'm also going to have a student teacher this fall, which I've never had before. I did good in the spring, but I'm kind of worried about the fall and having time to eat right and exercise.
  • nicolerburgess
    Options
    I'd love to lose about 25 lbs. That is my goal weight.
  • nicolerburgess
    Options
    I absolutely understand about the fall. I did well in the Spring when I tried to work on Weight Watchers before my wedding that was happening in June. I lost some weight but then put it right back on; not enough effort or activity on my part. Hoping for better things in the fall. :)
  • _KrisMarie_
    _KrisMarie_ Posts: 146
    Options

I agree! It is AWFUL in most schools. :noway:
  • nicolerburgess
    Options
    @ GatorGirl : Congrats on Student Teaching. You'll work very hard but love every minute of it. I am biased, but this is the best profession in the world. I love what I do and can't picture doing anything else!
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Year 12 for me in the Fall! I teach MS & HS Spanish. Feel free to add!
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm a kindergarten teacher! I would LOVE some teacher friends. We have such a unique job and challenges w/ food, timing, yearly schedules, etc.
  • mrswine
    mrswine Posts: 263 Member
    Options

OMG, agree! It's shocking.
  • huehney
    huehney Posts: 1
    Options
    I too am a teacher and this summer I seemed to have totally let myself go! I am officially at my all time highest weight! I am so frustrated that it almost sends me into depression! I keep thinking how did I let myself get like this! UGH! And to think I start school in a couple weeks and I won't fit into any of my school clothes make me almost cry!
    But I am bound and determined to get this weight off in the next year! I have 30+ pounds to loose and I am NO LONGER making excuses or waiting for another day! WE CAN DO THIS!!! I will help you if you help me!!:wink:
  • Spookie02
    Spookie02 Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm not a teacher - I'm a Library Tech. I run an elementary school library and teach library skills to all classes. As I am very interested in health, I tend to keep the shelves stocked with healthy living books and make sure my teachers know that they're there.

For myself, I tend to find it easier to stay with an exercise program, diet, during the school year because my life is already structured. I usually fail with flying colours in the summer. This year, however, has been the best year I've had because I'm keeping to my goals.

I'm hoping with consistent motivation, I'll be able to maintain them. Feel free to add me. :-)
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    elementary special ed teacher here. feel free to add me! :)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    Options
    I have been both a third grade and a Kindergarten teacher. Kindergarten will keep you much more active. Now I substitute. One tip is I have some healthy alternatives like a handful of nuts or fruit for when the treats in the teacher lounge are calling and when the students bring in birthday treats. I know it will be hard to find time to log everyday once the school year starts. I do think it really helps. Also if you could find a walking buddy for right after school. A good way to destress from the day and get planning done for the next day. I know that first month in Kindergarten will be stressful. It helps to have ideas that that do not involve food to de- stress. Hot bathes, walks, a good laugh. Your students are lucky to have you as such a good role model. Feel free to friend me if you want extra support.
  • nicolerburgess
    Options
    I too am a teacher and this summer I seemed to have totally let myself go! I am officially at my all time highest weight! I am so frustrated that it almost sends me into depression! I keep thinking how did I let myself get like this! UGH! And to think I start school in a couple weeks and I won't fit into any of my school clothes make me almost cry!
    But I am bound and determined to get this weight off in the next year! I have 30+ pounds to loose and I am NO LONGER making excuses or waiting for another day! WE CAN DO THIS!!! I will help you if you help me!!:wink:

Absolutely! Join the club! :) Summer time gets me every year!