Day 15 only lost .5 pounds

Options
Feeling sad. Weighed today and only lost a half pound after 15 days. I have not been perfect on this but I have put forth effort. I thought I would have lost more.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    If you make your diary public, that might help give some insight from others.
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, it takes time. I admit, it seems you might be a little behind the curve. BUT, there are a few possibilities:

1. Are you properly recording what you're eating?

2. What your target caloric intake for a day?

3. Is your caloric deficit appropriate? If you eat 500 calories per day less than your body needs, you should lose one pound per week. Based on the results you report, I would estimate your caloric deficit to be 125 calores per day (if your body needs 2,000 calories per day, for example, to maintain your weight, then I would estimate you would be eating 1,875 calories per day over these fourteen days..all other things being equal, of course. If your body requires 2,000 calories a day, and you reduce your intake to 1,500 calories per day, you should lose 1lb per week. Again, all other things being equal.

4. It is possible you aren't losing because you aren't eating ENOUGH, too. If your body needs 2,000 calories per day, and you are only eating, let's say 800, you have a 1,200 calorie per day deficit, first thought would be you should be losing 2.5 pounds per week, but, that's not necessarily how it works. If you don't eat ENOUGH, your body doesn't have all the nutrition it needs to do the day-to-day work, and so it holds onto everything. It's commonly called "starvation mode", though I'm not sure that's such a great name.

I had this problem myself. I was eating a 1,600/day diet, and not losing anything, for months. I would occasionally drop a pound or two, but it would go right back on. A few December's ago, I had an appointment with my nutritionist (who I see 1 or 2x a year), and she did an "indirect calorimetry" test on me, using a Korr Reevue indirect calorimetry. That machine basically analyzes the gas you exhale into it through a tube for ten minutes, and determines based on that how many calories per day your body burns. Mine came back at just under 2,500. 2,483. But I was eating 1,600 calories per day, AND, I was burning 500-1,000 in addition to that, when I went to the gym 4x a week. (another 2,000-4,000 calories per week in total, just in exercise.) So each week, I was under-nourishing my body by 900 calories per day (6,300/wk), PLUS 2,000-4,000 calories in exercise, so the equivalent of 8,300 - 10,300 calories per week. One would think that would mean I'd lose 3+ pounds per week, every week. But, as I mentioned earlier, it doesn't work that way.

My nutritionist made a few recommendations. That I ADD 800 calories per day to my diet, getting me to 2,300-ish calories per day. And that I consume (with GOOD foods), about 75% of my estimated calories from my workouts, on the day I worked out. If my estimated calories burned for my workout was 500, I ate 2,300 calories that day, plus 400 more for my workout, for a total of 2,700 calories on that workout day.

It sounds crazy, but once you understand the science and math of it, it makes sense.

I can tell you, that worked for me. Once I made that change, within a week the losses started again, and I then lost my last 70 pounds over the course of the coming six to nine months.

So that's one suggestion I would have for you...But knowing what your daily calorie needs really are, and keeping an accurate food log, are very vital components of those changes.

Feel free to give me a shout-out if you like, of FRIEND me, etc...

-David / BootJockey
    -257 pounds
  • YvonneCT
    YvonneCT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Remember, you have been exercising like a fiend and not eating enough. Your body is in likely in semi-starvation mode, holding on to try to weight to try to keep up with your expenditure. Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is probably quite high. That is just my guess and my opinion. You got a loss. That is really good. Eat more, adjust your macros, you will probably see a change in the next 15 days or so.
  • srneuman
    srneuman Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree, post your dairy. I did not believe it could make a difference, but just knowing that others can see it, kind of makes you more accountable. I am a very active 48 year old, and I had not lost one pound in years, then my trainer convinced me to let her see my post, and I have started losing weight. Good Luck. Also, if you have not gotten your self measured, you really don't know jf you are losing fat and gaining muscle...Good luck- I know it is hard
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your water? Because if so, you're not drinking enough, that can really make a difference! x
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! It will happen. I have been doing this over a month and only 6 lbs but I am determined to do it. You have to stay focused to reach your goal. You didn't gain the weight overnight and it wont come off overnight. Good Luck!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    With all due respect; just because you start a new thread and close your food diary does not mean things have changed for you. The same remarks about avoiding processed foods and especially carbs and eating more regularly a more balanced diet apply today just as they applied in your other thread yesterday.
    You need to make the necessary changes instead of looking for a magic bullet by starting new threads, because you don't get favorable answers in the old one.
    Good Luck to you !
  • Bootjockey
    Options
    That's what I was thinking too...(see my post earlier, above.)

-David / BootJockey
    -257lbs
  • Bootjockey
    Options
    Ha! That's what I was thinking too...

-David / BootJockey
    -257lbs
  • Bootjockey
    Options
    I didn't see the thread from yesterday, but what this poster says about eating good food and in proper proportions is absolutely true. If you aren't eating clean (simply meaning, eating good foods that are good for you in proper proportions), your results, if any, will be much reduced.

-David / BootJockey
    -257lbs
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I did not start another thread because I did not like what I got yesterday. I need positive reinforcement and the majority of responses are that. Anything that is not positive and given only to build up the responder I will ignore.

Yesterday my issue was low energy. This morning I weighed for the first time since I started MFP and was disappointed.

I pray I can encourage others without making assumptions about their desire or state of mind.

I am new to this program. I closed my food diary this morning because I realize it is very personal. It is visible to the people I have "friended" on this website and no longer visible to the public. This is a process for me, not black and white. Maybe I will be brave enough to open it again later on. I have had some bad days, but more good days than bad. I am determined to continue this process and determined to allow positive in my life and eliminate negative as much as possible. I give myself all the negative I need and that is what I am trying to change.

The consensus seems to be too much exercise and/or not enough calorie intake, and adjusting the quality of food. Hopefully, I will find the courage to see a nutritionist and work with a more scientific approach. I appreciate everyone's help and I believe in MFP as a practical tool and will push onward, with a smile on my face and excitement for what I am going to achieve. The icing on the preverbial cake will be when I can offer help to others with compassion and understanding.
    :smile:
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    You will find the support you need from the correct people. I have found many on MFP are very judgmental and assume instead of support and help direct and guide you and help you on your journey. I keep my diary private. It is my diary. I know what I eat and drink and I know why things are happening or not. I am here to help you in any way I can. I think you just posted your thread for some reassurance and support. Good luck...be patient...be vigilant and it will come off. You will find the best journey for you. Not all of us will walk the same trail but we will arrive at the same destination.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You will find the support you need from the correct people. I have found many on MFP are very judgmental and assume instead of support and help direct and guide you and help you on your journey. I keep my diary private. It is my diary. I know what I eat and drink and I know why things are happening or not. I am here to help you in any way I can. I think you just posted your thread for some reassurance and support. Good luck...be patient...be vigilant and it will come off. You will find the best journey for you. Not all of us will walk the same trail but we will arrive at the same destination.

What some see as "judgemental" others see as individuals shooting from the hip and giving straight forward answers. If the individual doesn't want to share their diary, that's fine, just don't start a thread asking for advice when there's nothing to look at and go off of.
  • mmabdull99
    mmabdull99 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I need some help on this topic because I'm this close to losing my mind over this. I started myfitnesspal over a month ago, it set my calorie intake to 1200 (losing 2lbs a week), I am 138 5'3. I used to be 115 but over years I've slowly gained alot of weight. Before I started this diet, I was easily eating over 2000 calories a day with no exercise (office job so my activity level was zero). Now, I've been eating 1200 and actually alot of times under 1200 and exercising around 4 times a week for atleast an hour. I have literally lost NO weight at all. I dont understand this, I have been working so hard and I see no results I am so frustrated and I just want need advice. I don't have enough time in the day to the whole 4-5 meals a day, I eat breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner. I have totally cut out sodas besides casual happy hour drinks. I dont always eat back exercise calories. My calorie intake varies everyday, I just feel so upset because I'm working so hard and havent seen any results. Please please help me!!!

My diary is open too!!
  • AurraSing23
    Options
    I'm relatively new here...and the amount of information is overwhelming. For the newbie--sometimes just becoming familiar with the tools is a lot. Learning to track honestly is the first step. Then you can know for sure what you are doing...

There are some folks here that don't consider that one person's straight forward is another person's "harsh". I can understand having a diary be private--when you are hoping for overall tips rather than a dissection of each meal or day.

In my first week, when I was asking questions I was trying to get the big picture. What I found from those more experienced was important things:

TRACK EVERYTHING
    DRINK WATER
    EXERCISE (if you aren't doing anything, start walking)

Finally--be careful who gives you advice. Hitch your wagon to a star! If they've achieved success--then they are who you want to listen too.

Just my 2 cents. :)
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Yesterday the OP was told by several people ( including myself ) that she should stop eating so many processed carbs among other things. This was done mostly in respectful ways. She asked for advise and that is what she got.
    I personally am often surprised that so many people here view the lack of agreement in regard to their food log as negative feedback.
    I wonder what a person expects to hear when the diet just is not right to bring weight loss and a high energy level about. " Atta girl " or " " WTG " are just not appropriate in this case.
    I keep my diary open, because I think I have nothing to hide and it is the only way for others to possibly see my errors in regard to my food intake. I am of course aware that mileage varies for many people and accept it.
  • Bootjockey
    Options
    Hi D,

I looked at your food diary, and I think it looks pretty good. I might suggest more protein in the morning and noontime, but, the foods you are eating overall, other than maybe being more processed that they could be, are good. I saw fruits, vegetables, etc. Also, based on the number of calories you are giving yourself in a day, I'd say you do a fairly good job of distributing your food across the day. More protein at the morning and mid-day meal will help, I think.

I do think that if you are exercising regularly, you do need more calories. Of course, I don't know anything about you specifically, what your size is now, where it was when you started, or how far a journey you have to go, but given the number of calories you're aiming for in a day, and assuming the numbers are all accurate, I'd say you probably need more calories in a day, and need to be eating some of the calories (50-75%) from your exercise too, to promote proper nutrition for your body.

Of course, I don't know any thing specific about your situation, so, I would encourage you to use whatever resources you have to help you. Your PCP and/or nutritionist, etc. In a perfect world, you could have an indirect calorimetry test done. Not everyone is lucky enough to have that option, but, if you do, run with it. :-)

I'm very sorry for the negative responses you reported to your post yesterday. I hope that you can find positive people to connect with and nurture a supportive environment! I have a Facebook page which is focused exclusively on diet, health, and nutrition, specifically in a positive manner. That's the very purpose of it. If you are interested in a link to that, send me a private message here and I will send you a link to it. I don't want to post it here, which would be a violate of their "advertising" rules. (FYI, it's just a free Facebook page, it's not a subscription site, and I do not promote any products....it's ENTIRELY devoted to positive reinforcement of a healthy lifestyle!)

Have a GREAT day!!! Keep on rockin'! You've just started your journey, and your best days lie ahead!!!

-David / BootJockey
    -257 pounds
    (Currently at home recovering from a full abdominoplasty surgery on 7/17 - Woohoo, excess belly skin now gone!!!)
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I need some help on this topic because I'm this close to losing my mind over this. I started myfitnesspal over a month ago, it set my calorie intake to 1200 (losing 2lbs a week), I am 138 5'3. I used to be 115 but over years I've slowly gained alot of weight. Before I started this diet, I was easily eating over 2000 calories a day with no exercise (office job so my activity level was zero). Now, I've been eating 1200 and actually alot of times under 1200 and exercising around 4 times a week for atleast an hour. I have literally lost NO weight at all. I dont understand this, I have been working so hard and I see no results I am so frustrated and I just want need advice. I don't have enough time in the day to the whole 4-5 meals a day, I eat breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner. I have totally cut out sodas besides casual happy hour drinks. I dont always eat back exercise calories. My calorie intake varies everyday, I just feel so upset because I'm working so hard and havent seen any results. Please please help me!!!

My diary is open too!!

Maybe some consistency would help you. Firstly, try to eat back your exercise calories! Your daily calorie goal is calculated to help you lose weight just based on your calorie intake, without exercise - so if you're exercising, you'll need more calories. So eat them back!

You could get the calories with protein. In fact, something that I saw a few times on the message boards is that there's no such thing as too much protein if you're working out. I wouldn't strictly say that's true but if you're exercising your muscles will need the protein to build back up, so try to get more protein in. For example, I saw on one of the days that your lunch was just cous-cous - make sure you have protein at every meal, carbs are negotiable, it's the protein and vegetables that you need to make sure you get. For some people, counting calories can get them down and I can see why, it can seem like you're doing everything within the limits and nothing is happening. I'd say focus instead on eating just clean, natural, wholesome food. Nothing processed, just good quality food like lean meats and vegetables. And do more weight lifting than cardio!!!

xxx
  • Bootjockey
    Options
    Hi Aurra,,

I'm with you, I do think it's very overwhelming when you are just starting, and there is so much to learn, so much to research, and some people are better than others at, well, anything. Plus, posters here often get conflicting advice (though when the information is consistent across a variety of posters, it probably would bear fruit to consider their suggestions), and that can be confusing. ESPECIALLY to those just starting their journeys.

And we never know what other challenges a new poster (or an old poster) may be facing. Maybe they have small children at home, have recently lost their job, gone through a divorce or some other heartache.

If we can all be patient and understanding, I think it goes a long way. In the long run, almost everyone here really just wants to do their own thing, and help someone else find the joy they've found, if they can. :-)

Have a rockin' day!

-David / BootJockey
    -257 pounds
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. This is helpful.