Need advice for shifting stomach fat

Options
HI,

This is my first post on MFP, I have been using the app for about 4 months with great success but have come to a plateau and would appreciate some advice.

A bit of History;
I am a 5' 9" male of 40 years and I started losing weight at the beginning of February with a starting weight of around 185 lbs. Started using MFP a week later having lost 2 lbs (my heaviest weight was 190 lbs last summer) and set a target weight of 165 lbs which I hit towards the end of May by following a healthy diet and not a lot else. As you can imagine i was looking pretty scrawny as I had lost muscle as well as fat having done no exercise during this time. So I decided to do some resistance training and cardio, without really having a plan and schedule but found it hard to maintain and found it increasingly tedious after only 3 weeks. So a bit of internet research and hours of reading various forums (including MFP) I came across the YAYOG program which I bought the book for and started straight away. I am now on week 7 of the basic 10 week program and have seen tremendous results. I have lost another 4 lbs (unplanned) and have built muscle so not looking so scrawny now. I have also started the NHS C25K program two weeks ago as I felt I was neglecting the cardio aspect of my fitness.
So I am now exercising 6 days a week for around 40 minutes each day and trying to squeeze in a cycle ride whenever I can ( i have a long commute and tend to work long hours, on top of this I have a lovely wife and 3 kids that also need my time when I am at home) .

Current status;
I feel that my weight is around the correct level and I am trying to target a balanced shift from fat to muscle as I still carry a little bit of a tyre round my waist (34" across my belly button), I am not totally set on the weight aspect but am keen not to get too skinny. I also am not aiming for a 6 pack, just to get rid of the 'love handles'
So I have mentioned my exercise routine above, here is my diet. I am on a base of 2000 calories a day, which I tend to hit or fall under by around 100-200 a day. I only eat fresh food (with the occasional take-out) with a reduced carb intake as I have heard this helps when trying to 'cut' fat. I avoid all white carbs including potatoes and also have no processed foods or refined sugars. My one weakness is real ale which I have cut back to a couple of pints at the weekend generally.

The trouble is that although I feel my fitness and strength levels are improving the stomach fat seems to be fairly constant. So my questions are;
Am I doing something wrong?
Is there more I should be doing?
Am I expecting too much too soon?

I am looking to be able to do this in a maintainable way and am not be looking for any radical diets that restrict me to a unrealistic diet for 30 days or similar. Other that that any useful advice to shift this remaining fat would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    balanced shift from fat to muscle

you can't shift fat to muscle.

you can just lose fat and build muscle.

so eat a deficit to lose fat... or eat at a surplus to build muscle.
  • michellechawner
    Options

This - you can't shift one thing to another, just like you can't target fat loss in one area.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    1335555537919.jpg

No offense OP, but this thread has been made THOUSANDS of times and there is so much information on this on the internet.
  • JenniferRT66
    JenniferRT66 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

He likely meant shifted his body composition from fat to muscle, not actually converting fat to muscle.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Calories in < calories out

The only way to reduce fat

You cannot shift it
    You cannot spot reduce
    You cannot turn fat into muscle
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open so I don't know what you're eating....but you need to set your protein macro to 40-50% and aim to hit that every day. There are several programs out there to build muscle and you will need to start eating at a surplus to accomplish that. P90X comes to mind.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy in a deficit to retain muscle, or lift heavy in a surplus to gain muscle, in both cases get plenty of protein. Your surplus or deficit should not be too large either, aim for a loss of 0.5lbs/week, or a gain of 0.5lbs/week.

For protein aim to get a minimum of 0.8grams/lb of body weight. If you know your body fat % aim for a minimum of 1 grams/lb of lbm.

So at 165 you should aim for a minimum of 132 (165*0.8) grams protein, which for a 2,000 cal diet would be 26% protein (132*4/2000). You can either change you setting in MFP to 25% and get over that or 30% and aim for that number.
  • JoRocka
    Options

He likely meant shifted his body composition from fat to muscle, not actually converting fat to muscle.

then if he did he should have said that.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Gees and again instead of trying to truly help the poster by giving him advice most of you just jump on the "you cant shift from fat to muscle" bandwagon. We all know this and I am sure the poster does too. So he may have worded it wrong. Just give him some ideas not one line. That does not help. It looks like there are some truly good ideas on here and the ones I would have suggested so rather than repeat them Ill simply say...stay with it and you will find what works for you. Good Luck!
  • Sinbad95
    Sinbad95 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    JenniferRT66,
    Shift of body composition was exactly what I mean't. I am aware that it is not possible to change fat to muscle or target fat loss from specific areas. Thanks

erickirb,
    Thanks for the useful advice. So if I am aiming for 30% protein in my diet, would that equate to an equal reduction in carbs or an equal reduction in carbs and fat?

Thanks
  • JoRocka
    Options
    you don't need many words to explain

fat loss = eating at a deficit
    muscle gain = eating at a surplus

I said that in my first post too.. I don't understand what's the deal. The steps are simple.

People seem to confuse the process of weight loss- which is long and laborious because it's TEDIOUS and boring and takes time and patience- which most people lack, with the fact that the actual steps are quiet simple.

you don't need pages of threads to explain this.

Eat a deficit. Lose Fat.

Simple- do this every day until desired result is achieved- tweak as needed (carb re-feeds- eating less or eating more depending on activity level and amount of weight lost)
  • erickirb
    Options
    JenniferRT66,
    Shift of body composition was exactly what I mean't. I am aware that it is not possible to change fat to muscle or target fat loss from specific areas. Thanks

erickirb,
    Thanks for the useful advice. So if I am aiming for 30% protein in my diet, would that equate to an equal reduction in carbs or an equal reduction in carbs and fat?

Thanks

Either or, though don't go below 0.35 grams of fat per lb of body weight. so again that would be a minimum of 58g (0.35*165) of fat or again 25% minimum. I would suggest your macros to be 45/30/25 (C/P/F), just keep in mind it would be better to go over the fat and protein as opposed to the carbs. So view the fat and protein as minimums and the carbs as a maximum.
  • erickirb
    Options

fat loss = eating at a deficit
    muscle gain = eating at a surplus

you don't need pages of threads to explain this.

Eat a deficit. Lose Fat.

Not quite eating at a deficit = weight loss, but weight loss =/= fat loss, you need strength training and protein to help ensure most of the weight loss comes from fat.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Not quite eating at a deficit = weight loss, but weight loss =/= fat loss, you need strength training and protein to help ensure most of the weight loss comes from fat.

"So a bit of internet research and hours of reading various forums (including MFP) I came across the YAYOG program which I bought the book for and started straight away. I am now on week 7 of the basic 10 week program and have seen tremendous results"

said he was working out 6 times a week with cardio and resistance.... yes you need to maintain so you don't lose EVERYTHING- figured that wasn't worth noting... but yes. lift- eat a a deficit... maintain muscle and lose fat. there you go. magical.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Since you're about at the weight you want, but not at the body composition (% body fat) you want, you'll need to work on improving your body composition.

There are two common ways to do this. There is the "body recomposition" technique that essentially you eat at maintenance and add progressive weight training to your workout. From what I understand, this is an incredibly long process.

The other way (and seems a lot more common) is to do bulk and cut cycles. Bulking is eating at a surplus and using a progressive weight training program to add both muscle and fat (they go together unfortunately). You would then cut to reduce the fat (keep the progressive weight training program and eat enough protein to maintain muscle mass).

Either way, I would suggest a progressive weight training program. I don't know much about YAYOG, but I'm assuming there are ways to make the exercises more difficult (not just more of them) as you progress. Another good bodyweight program (so I've heard) is convict conditioning.

Here's a good article to read about why you can't build muscle and lose fat:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html

And a good post about setting your macro goals:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you check out a forum dedicated to building muscle bro. Majority of people you will find on mfp have no clue where to start in regards to lifting.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    (Stolen from a previous poster)... BUT VERY EFFECTIVE IN EXPLAINING BODY FAT LOSS!

This is the best analogy I have read regarding belly/hip/butt fat in everyone. It's a bit long, but worth the read IMO.

Most people are a bit confused when it comes to losing belly fat. They think the fat around the belly is somehow different, and is therefore harder to lose, but they are wrong. Fat is fat, period. Think of it this way: Imagine a small town in a pretty country setting after a rain storm. The rain ends and the entire town is now wet with a thin layer of water that covers the entire landscape. Water has also pooled in the form of puddles large and small. Also, the town’s pond swells to accommodate newly deposited rainwater.

Eventually, the sun appears, and the water begins to evaporate. ALL the water is actually evaporating at the SAME RATE. It doesn’t seem that way because the ground dries quickly and becomes dry, and it takes longer for the small puddles to be gone. The much larger puddles are slowly shrinking, taking 1-2 days to completely dry-up.

However, to the naked eye, the pond across street hasn’t changed at all. Truth is, the water in the pond is also evaporating at the same rate as the other water. It’s just harder to recognize because it is much more plentiful than the thin layer of water that covered the streets, or the small puddles scattered throughout the town.

Body fat is a lot like the water. A thin layer accumulates underneath our skin over most of our bodies, just like the wet town. It’s called “subcutaneous-fat”. We also store it in larger quantities around the body, often called “fat depots.” This tends to be in the hips, butt, and thighs on women, and the frontal-belly, lower,, and upper-back on men. These are the body’s “Puddles and Ponds.”

As we lose fat from exercise or reduced calorie eating, the fat loss in our body is like the town’s evaporating water. The thin layer of fat on our upper chest area, neck-line, and the backs of our hands tend to show the first signs of disappearing fat. It’s because those areas tend to have lesser fat deposits than other parts of the body. Be assured, the body is losing fat over its’ entire landscape. It’s just that the belly is like a pond. Unfortunately, although our belly fat is disappearing, it’s not until we lose a significant amount that we really notice it. The same as not noticing the pond losing water until we actually see the shore-line receding.

So, if you are exercising (and eating) to lose fat, you’ll initially notice results only in some areas of your body, and not others. Stay the course. Your belly or butt is NOT being stubborn at all; it’s losing fat as fast as the rest of your body. It just seems like a slow poke because it’s a “pond”, not a “wet street” or a “puddle”. Additional Ab exercises WILL NOT help you lose belly-fat any faster. You cannot spot-reduce your body fat stores around your waist by exercising that area.

Remember, our bodies’ burns fat like the sun evaporates water on the town. Yes, a little at a time, but, ALL at the same time.
  • missjacki
    missjacki Posts: 51
    Options
    been in the same boat for over 4 years now.

I'm at my goal weight.

I workout 5 days a week with a good mixture of cardio, weights, toning with pilates/yoga.

I've done several 5 week "Exercise Boot Camp" regimens.

I became a triathlete to try and gain the toning benefits from swimming and actually went UNDER my goal weight.

Got nice and toned.

And yet, through it all I still have my belly flab that just wont ever go away!!! I don't even want to lose any more weight.

I'm seriously in the best shape of my life....don't know what else I could possibly do

so....I'm saving up for liposuction... judge me if you want....tried all the "do it yourself" techniques to no avail...
  • Sinbad95
    Sinbad95 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree, this is a very good analogy. Certainly makes sense and is an encouraging way of explaining it.

Thanks