What do you take with your almond milk?

Options
I just picked up my first 1/2 gallon of almond milk last night. I had some this morning with my protein shake. I need some ideas on what to add with it. So how do you have your almond milk?

Replies

• MissAbbieJay
    MissAbbieJay Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use it with everything in place of real milk (which I can't have). I use it in baking, smoothies, making oatmeal, general cooking. Although I wouldn't use in it place of specific dairy products needed for certain recipes like heavy whipping cream or condensed milk as you might not get the desired taste or texture.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I just put it on my cereal and use it with eggs and in smoothies! Definitely can't drink it straight.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    i drink my almond milk with a side of real milk :)
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I just put it on my cereal and use it with eggs and in smoothies! Definitely can't drink it straight.

My husband took a big swig this morning. Then proceeded to do the "yucky dance" lol
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer almond milk over milk. Been using it for a few years and buy it when it is on sale. I've gotten to love the taste. One thing I love it with is chia seeds and dry fruit - makes a pudding. Same with using chia seeds, PB2 or chocolate to make puddings with.
  • purpleleopard76
    purpleleopard76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have it with cereal and in protein shakes. Tried it in tea but it didn'r work :sick: I buy the unsweetened kind but there are flavoured ones out there too but the calories will be higher.
  • Blessedbythebest1
    Blessedbythebest1 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I use it in smoothies and with my protein powders especially my cookies and cream protein powder.
  • gigi_RN2013
    gigi_RN2013 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i add: scoop of protein, banana and a stick of celery :)
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    In a glass.
    Sometimes I use a straw. :)
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I have it with cereal and in protein shakes. Tried it in tea but it didn'r work :sick: I buy the unsweetened kind but there are flavoured ones out there too but the calories will be higher.

Flavored does not = sweetened.
    http://silk.com/products/unsweetened-vanilla-almondmilk 30 calories
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I drink it straight! I never had to "get used to it", I think it's great!
  • LosingMyMarbles
    LosingMyMarbles Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I make iced chai lattes with it. 3-4 ice cubes, equal amounts of unsweetened almond milk (or unsw. chocolate almond milk) and Oregon Chai's slightly sweet chai concentrate with a dash of nutmeg.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I also got my first container of almond milk yesterday. Got the unsweetened kind based on the recs of a lot of people here. I used it in a smoothie with a banana, strawberries, half a scoop of slimfast, and ice. Turned out pretty well. I tried it by itself and was not impressed enough to do a straight swap for milk, like in my cereal, but that isn't what I bought it for so it is ok.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I put some stevia in and drink it :D. Its also great for oatmeal, protein shakes, making chocolate milk(unsweetened cocoa powder mmmm), with cereal, really anything youd use regular milk for. It really does need to b sweetened most of the time tho to b good lol
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened vanilla from Trader Joes (in the dairy case) is my favorite. It's great in tea, coffee, recipes, pudding, protein shakes, fake ice cream (frozen banana, cocoa powder, ice, almond milk, and dark chocolate).
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Oh - and I prefer the original unsweetened - even coconut/soy/rice ones too. I don't care for the vanilla at all. It's too sweet for my taste.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    i drink my almond milk with a side of real milk :)

I dunk steaks and cheese in mine.
  • UNLESS19
    UNLESS19 Posts: 118
    Options
    i use it in cooking and with cereal :) can't have it straight though i also don't like it in hot drinks. it;s either the milk or my boyfriend (as he made it for me) but it didn't look good if you get my meaning!
    However i do use skimmed milk or semi in cooking sometimes as a treat :)
    <3
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Granola, smoothies, oatmeal, etc
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I only use unsweetened almond milk in my protein shake.