Strength training for weight loss/ 100lbs to lose

Options
Really hoping someone can give me some specific insight.

I have over 100lbs to lose. I'm currently doing 30 minutes of cardio 6x a week. I want to know what affect strength training will have on my weight loss. I just ordered Kelly Coffey's 30 minute weight workout and I want to know if im doing the right thing getting into strength training right now. Should I do it More than the cardio? Less than? Does anyone have any personal experiences with strength training with over 100 to lose?

Replies

• ebonyb202
    ebonyb202 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    The goal of strength training is to increase strength as well as muscle mass. It is not done for weight loss, however, increasing your muscle mass, increases your metabolic capacity, and how many calories you burn a day, so in the long run, strength training will help you by allowing you to eat a little more. The vast majority of weight loss has very little to do with exercise, and almost everything to do with diet. All you need to lose weight is a caloric deficit, and most of that deficit will come from how you eat. Good luck.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You may see a bit of muscle gain at first, but once that evens out, if you're eating at a deficit, the gains will stop. You'll still be able to get stronger, though. You will see the scale slow down. However, this is because you will be losing mostly fat while retaining muscle. Since muscle is denser than fat, you won't see a scale loss as much as you would if you were losing a combination of muscle and fat. You may notice a difference in your body composition and measurements, though. This is where progress pictures come in handy as well.
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend strength training. I had 100 pounds to lose too. While the scale doesn't move as fast at first, your body composition can change drastically making you look much thinner than someone the same weight as you with less muscle mass. The goal is fat loss, not just weight loss. Adding lean muscle or maintaining your lean mass helps you on the fat loss side of the equation, and when you've lost the fat, you'll have beautiful muscles underneath :) I started with New Rules of Lifting for Women, and am going from there into Stronglifts 5x5 in October when I get my rack installed in my garage. Check out the threads of what has happened to women who lift heavy weights around here...nothing short of absolutely amazing. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1045433-women-lifting-heavy-with-pics
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I've been strength training throughout my entire 100+ pound weight loss. I started out simple with machines and am now on to heavy lifting with compound movements and barbells. It's only done good things for my body :)
  • ebonyb202
    ebonyb202 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I'm just gonna go for it