Cottage for 7 days inlaws bad eating - HELP

Options
Hi

I need some tips and advise from you please!

sistuation: Aug 4-11 2013 I will be at a privet cottage with 8 inlaws who all eat horrible high carb calroie foods.
My father in law already thinks I am vain for counting calories and working out. I dont want to make it any more noticable then it already is that I chose to eat heathy. We all have to share one fridge/freezer no idea what anyone else is bring or how we are doing meals but i know they will want to have big family meals together. They love to cook and drink wine.

My plan: eat small portions and snack on protien....eggs,jerky, turkey bacon,protien powder. also bring pen and peper to wright now what I eat in privet. I am hoping to get up extra ealry before my son and in laws so i can workout without getting hears full of its vacation dont work out ect.

What else can I do this is 7 days in this sistuation not sure if I will have access to MFP to count calories :(

Thanks anyone who can give some more tips.

Replies

• stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    You could choose to relax and have a whole holiday.

Seriously, a diet shouldn't rule/ruin your life or it just won't be sustainable. If you can eat small portions go for it, but trying to calorie count may make your week fraught with stress and guilt.

Just imagine you are at maintenance and practice being 'normal - if you see what I mean :)

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy the week. Time with in-laws can be stressful enough without adding a whole extra layer.

Good luck.
  • JediSwan
    JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I think you have a pretty good plan. And I know its hard, but try to to worry about what they think. You are doing a great thing for you and its awesome that you want to keep it up during vacation. But have fun, splurges wont hurt in moderation. :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    I never understood why one would care what other people think about what I do to keep fit and my choice of foods to eat......do whatever you want and just smile.
  • thatonegirlinohio
    thatonegirlinohio Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would eat in moderation when you're hungry, do some activities that will get you up and moving but may not be exercise necessarily, and not count calories at all.
    It's vacation after all.
    I know personally I'm not going to count calories for the rest of my life so this week may be a good week to practice self-control for you.
    Enjoy :)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about Intermittent fasting? Just skip eating breakfast and lunch, then eat the main meal with the family. This is a great way to control portions if you are going to be around trigger foods that may lead to bingeing.

Do you have a smart phone? Instead of sneaking around to keep a food journal, you could simply take a photo of everything you eat. Weird? Yes, but not completely off the rails in this modern day of internet sharing. It will also help jog your memory later if you do want to log what you ate on any given day.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Just do the best you can and not worry too much about it. Each pound of fat is equal to 3500 calories, so you have to eat at least 500 calories of surplus every day for a week to gain it. Even if you overeat by 1000 calories a day (which is actually not easy to do), you would only gain 2 lbs at the end of the week.

Once you get back home, you can lose these 2 lbs in a couple of weeks, or a month if you really take it slow.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Instead of focusing on doing your regular workout how about learning about where you are? If in the mountains or at the beach find new exciting activities and maybe your son can join you too. We went to North Carolina and I loved climbing the light houses. It was great exercise and there were spectacular views at the top. This way you are not "working out" you are enjoying your vacation and taking in the local scenery.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Dont go
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I think your plan sounds good. However, it's also hard to track accurately if you don't have a scale to confirm the size of something unless it's spelled out (2 pieces = __).

That being said, why don't you take a break from tracking too much. Since I started tracking, have taken to cruises and decided to relax and enjoy myself on both. I didn't try to track anything, just ate smaller portions. On one of them I lost a few lbs and on the other, I maintained.

Taking a break isn't a bad thing and if you're trying to keep others from knowing and obsess, you may end up worse off.

I'd just stick to your plan of being careful and watching the portions and drinks, but I wouldn't try to track or log. You'll have a much more enjoyable time.
  • mathaholic
    mathaholic Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    As someone with overbearing and oversized inlaws, I feel your pain! I finally decided not to be ashamed about it, look them right in the eye and say, "This works for me. My family has health issues (high cholesterol, in my case) , and this is the only I've found to stay healthy (eating plant-based, in my case). That being said, here are a few things I've tried in the past that have helped:

1. I would bring aLOT of salad fixings and offer to make a starter salad for everyone at the beginning of every meal. Fruit salad for breakfast, green salads for lunch and dinner. Then, I'd make MY starter salad the size of a dinner plate :)

2. I've recently started picking up the fun kid's nerf-style sports toys at the local pharmacy. They always have something down the toy aisle, whether it's tennis with a foam ball or velcro catch mitts. I've been bringing them on friend and family outings to play after dinner. Since they're so silly and for little kids, no one notices they're getting a work-out! But the next thing you and your family will know, it's an hour later and you've got your heart pumping. They're super-cheap too, maybe 3$ a set. Maybe that will work for you :)
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I never understood why one would care what other people think about what I do to keep fit and my choice of foods to eat......do whatever you want and just smile.

This.
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    Just break up with them.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Don't stress about it!

My inlaws are so dysfunctional about food, they will harass you for eating breakfast and lunch that you will spoil your dinner, then serve a tiny dinner. Then after dinner they eat 2 big bowls of ice cream each and wake up several times in the night to eat cookies and candy, which I suspect is why they aren't hungry at breakfast and lunchtime?

I am beyond caring what they think of what I eat, be it a splurge day or a healthy day for me.

Sounds like you have a pretty good plan so just try to enjoy your time!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    just do you and if you feel the need, stick to your plan as it seems pretty solid.
  • WestCoaster831
    Options
    I've had some similar issues, get up early and go for a hike/jog while everyone is still sleeping. Also, watch your portions (especially with wine-it will make you eat more!). Just try to enjoy yourself, after all, it is a vacation :)
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    As someone with overbearing and oversized inlaws, I feel your pain! I finally decided not to be ashamed about it, look them right in the eye and say, "This works for me. My family has health issues (high cholesterol, in my case) , and this is the only I've found to stay healthy (eating plant-based, in my case). That being said, here are a few things I've tried in the past that have helped:

1. I would bring aLOT of salad fixings and offer to make a starter salad for everyone at the beginning of every meal. Fruit salad for breakfast, green salads for lunch and dinner. Then, I'd make MY starter salad the size of a dinner plate :)

2. I've recently started picking up the fun kid's nerf-style sports toys at the local pharmacy. They always have something down the toy aisle, whether it's tennis with a foam ball or velcro catch mitts. I've been bringing them on friend and family outings to play after dinner. Since they're so silly and for little kids, no one notices they're getting a work-out! But the next thing you and your family will know, it's an hour later and you've got your heart pumping. They're super-cheap too, maybe 3$ a set. Maybe that will work for you :)
    I love these suggestion! I would also bring a giant bag of apples and lots of nuts that I have pre-packaged into 1 ounce potion ziploc bags. These are things you can keep in your room and you don't need to put in the frig. If someone pressures you to eat something you don't want to eat you can say "Oh, thanks! I just had a snack, maybe later!"
  • AEMW8
    AEMW8 Posts: 94 Member
    Options

^^THIS

It's called a vacation for a reason. Relax a little, but be sure you keep to whatever you want to eat. Find out what goes on where you're staying at and take those opportunities. It may give you some exercise that won't feel like exercise. Have fun and ignore the hate.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a 3 week camping holiday. One week was no running water or electric and we ran out of gas for our BBQ. I decided at the start I wasn't going to track but I would still run and cycle when I could. That needed up being 3 runs and a cycle ride the first 2 weeks and 2 short runs the last week. I endulged in foods I normally don't eat like cream teas, had a few. We ate out a bit and there is no nutritional value so hard to track anyway.

I weighed in the morning after we got back which ws Friday, I gained about 2 pounds, I was allowing myself 5 pounds so was very happy about that. Today was my official weigh in day and its gone so some of it must have been water weight. Either way, back to business now. I had a great time and don't crave any of those foods now that I'm back.

There will be times like this that you just have to relax and take a break. Why not eat what they eat but in moderation and toss on the veggies. Get out for some exercise if you can but just enjoy your holiday.
  • ellen4488
    ellen4488 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    On vacation I usually get out the door first thing in the AM and go for a run. Then you start your day off with the ability to eat more. Then just be mindful of what you are eating and at dinner contribute a huge salad - say you love all the fresh produce right now and fill your plate up with 50% salad and a tasting of everything else.

You are not going to have fun if you are going to be worried about what you eat. And you aren't going to have fun if you have to avoid all their food. So just find a way that you can have some junk too.