How long should I put off weighing myself...

Options
When starting a new program ?

Replies

• itsbakertime
    itsbakertime Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think this really depends on the type of person you are.

I personally like to weigh myself daily and I always do it first thing in the morning.

I do this for a few reasons (see below):
    1) If I weigh myself daily, I'll be more likely to track myself daily
    2) I am more likely to notice a trend in either direction. This keeps me from going too far overboard when I start slipping.
    3) I get used to seeing how much my weight can fluctuate in just a day so I am less put off by weighing a bit more.
    4) If I am weight training, I may see strength results on the scale before I see it visually or notice an increase in my physical strength.

If you are the type of person who obsesses with the number you weigh or you have a tendency towards complusive behavior/disordered behavior, then I wouldn't weigh myself more than once a week and I would weigh myself in the morning without any clothes. That way you know what YOU weigh and nothing else.

Hope this helps!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Weekly
  • mum0f2boys
    mum0f2boys Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    see above I do the same weigh each morning before any food or drink... I know they say dont but if a lb has snuck on you know to try harder that day.
  • Roxanne_Hennessy
    Roxanne_Hennessy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday 1st thing in the morning and the right before I go to bed. Then I pull the measuring tape out 3 times a week. Obsessive some would say, but if I don't do it I won't diet. Constantly seeing the results of my hard work is super helpful to me
  • steelyjoe22
    steelyjoe22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, because it keeps me accountable. I find myself not logging calories and "hiding" from the scale otherwise. I also find it interesting to see the fluctuations due to sodium, hydration, and sizes of my meals.

That said, I only actually record my weigh ins once a week - Weigh in Wednesdays. Otherwise, you'd see posts every single day updating my weight, which is annoying and not accurate. I tend to eat fairly clean on Tuesdays especially, otherwise the weigh-in gets thrown. I've gained as much as 7 lbs from sodium after a night out for Sushi. It came right back off in the next 2 days.

I don't think you need to wait any more than 1 week.
  • carollynch09
    carollynch09 Posts: 111
    Options
    I like what steelyjoe said. I weigh myself every other day, sometimes every day. Accountability.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    The problem with doing it daily is that the body will fluctuate daily, even if done at exactly the same time, exactly the same conditions. I do one "official" weigh-in about once a week (sometimes I skip a week) but always the same day of the week under the same conditions, same time of day, same clothes. I do weigh myself daily, but those are more for *kitten*$ and grins. More for information and carnival game purposes -- guess the weight today games. The daily weights mean nothing.

Want to know how much, how fast your weight can change, for no apparent reason? I was treating myself to a nice long soak in our jacuzzi after a long stressful day. I stepped on the scale before I got in. 169. After a 20-30 minute soak, I got out and dried off, I stepped on the scale again. 172. My skin had absorbed 3 pounds of water because it was dry.

But your biggest measurement is how you feel, how do your clothes feel. And then follow the trendline. If one weigh-in doesn't show progress or, God forbid, actually goes up, don't sweat it. The trend is the thing.