Fish Oil Pills may be bad for you.

Options
freddykid
freddykid Posts: 265 Member
I have been taking fish oil supplements for about 2 years. I have not noted any real benefit but continued to take them anyway.

I am going to stop taking them.

I saw a news blurb the other day that said it may be linked to aggressive prostate cancer. I was just able to look it up. This study published in May 2013.

Journal overview:
http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/07/09/jnci.djt174.abstract?sid=d0dbb355-235e-4c61-abdc-e9bf2fe09de7
Conclusions: This study confirms previous reports of increased prostate cancer risk among men with high blood concentrations of LCω-3PUFA. The consistency of these findings suggests that these fatty acids are involved in prostate tumorigenesis. Recommendations to increase LCω-3PUFA intake should consider its potential risks.
editorials
http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevensalzberg/2013/07/23/those-fish-oil-supplements-might-cause-cancer/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/omega-3s-prostate-cancer_b_3659735.html

Edit month published

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    This might be a bit too much information, but I took them for one day and ended up with a UTI. My doc told me it wasn't rare, but also not uncommon. Looks like it might not be the best for all "on it's way out" areas. Plus when someone who's taking them burps they could clear a room! The blood type that they mention, is there a way to know if that's you? Is that based on some type of condition or is it just at random with different people?
  • freddykid
    Options
    Just to clarify I am stopping the supplements. I will just be increasing my fatty fish intake to twice a week.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    http://examine.com/blog/fish-oil-and-your-prostate/

Stating "fish oil causes cancer" due to this study would be a mistake, as it is a case-cohort study (conducted at one time point only), and a temporal relationship is not made. While unlikely, with the data available, it could also be possible to state "prostate cancer causes a higher n3 concentration in the blood."

The temporal aspect is important, since fish oil supplementation can drastically change serum levels of omega-3s in the blood. It is quite common for people diagnosed with prostate cancer to supplement with fish oil, as it is commonly touted to be cancer-protective (which would mean that prostate cancer precedes fish oil supplementation). A previous study using persons from SELECT using a design that could assess this temporal relationship found no relation (either protective or harmful) with prostate cancer incidence.

Furthermore, this study did not measure mortality. When looking at mortality, fish oil seems to be associated with reduced mortality. In simpler words, it was found to not help prevent prostate cancer, but reduced your chances of dying from it.
  • freddykid
    Options
    http://examine.com/blog/fish-oil-and-your-prostate/

Stating "fish oil causes cancer" due to this study would be a mistake, as it is a case-cohort study (conducted at one time point only), and a temporal relationship is not made. While unlikely, with the data available, it could also be possible to state "prostate cancer causes a higher n3 concentration in the blood."

The temporal aspect is important, since fish oil supplementation can drastically change serum levels of omega-3s in the blood. It is quite common for people diagnosed with prostate cancer to supplement with fish oil, as it is commonly touted to be cancer-protective (which would mean that prostate cancer precedes fish oil supplementation). A previous study using persons from SELECT using a design that could assess this temporal relationship found no relation (either protective or harmful) with prostate cancer incidence.

Furthermore, this study did not measure mortality. When looking at mortality, fish oil seems to be associated with reduced mortality. In simpler words, it was found to not help prevent prostate cancer, but reduced your chances of dying from it.

Good to know and I agree. Fish oil according to many other studies is beneficial to your health. But I am making a choice based on new info to me to cut out the supplements and get the oils from fish in my diet.
    If anything, this study begets a plethora of questions in regards to the relationship between prostate cancer and omega-3 but proves nothing.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify I am stopping the supplements. I will just be increasing my fatty fish intake to twice a week.
    You're misunderstanding the article. The point of the article is about high concentrations of fatty acids, not specifically fish oil supplements. If you're concerned with your risk for prostate cancer you should stop consuming fatty fish.
    Salmon, trout, fresh tuna and fish oil capsules are rich in omega-3 fatty acids
    The study found that fatty acids found in vegetable oils, flaxseeds and other vegetable sources had no effect on prostate cancer risk.

That said, I will continue to enjoy my salmon, tuna and daily fish oil supplement. If it's not fish oil it's peanut butter, sunlight, or whatever the latest thing is they've decided is going to kill us.
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    sorry double post
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I asked my Doctor if it was ok to take fish oil capsules, as I don't eat much fish and he said it was fine. Of course it's always better to get nutrition from food if you can.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    That study had a bunch of flaws; it didn't take into account the test subjects' health beforehand
  • freddykid
    Options
    You're misunderstanding the article. The point of the article is about high concentrations of fatty acids, not specifically fish oil supplements. If you're concerned with your risk for prostate cancer you should stop consuming fatty fish.
    Salmon, trout, fresh tuna and fish oil capsules are rich in omega-3 fatty acids
    The study found that fatty acids found in vegetable oils, flaxseeds and other vegetable sources had no effect on prostate cancer risk.

That said, I will continue to enjoy my salmon, tuna and daily fish oil supplement. If it's not fish oil it's peanut butter, sunlight, or whatever the latest thing is they've decided is going to kill us.

You are correct that the study found disputable data and about the source was not focusing on supplements. I am perhaps misinterpreting what the study found. I am by no means trying to "scare monger" about Omega 3. I am passing on information I found interesting and has led me to change my mind about taking this supplement.

I have since read a few more articles about how the data is misleading.
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    This might be a bit too much information, but I took them for one day and ended up with a UTI.

Made me laugh!
    UTIs have nothing to do with vitamins or supplements you take! LOL!