Discouraging...

Options
So, I've lost 12lbs in the last month..I have been completely excited about my weight loss/new life plan. Exercising 6 days a week, watching to make sure that I am eating healthy and I am seeing the results. I know it's going to take time to hit my goal of losing 55 pounds total, I realize that I am in this for the long haul and I am excited about my journey.

Then last night occurred.. We went to an awards banquet for my son's little league and a photographer took a ton of pictures which he kindly posted online this morning.. Sadly, even though I have lost 12lbs the camera didn't seem to notice at all..it was so discouraging to see those pictures...

I'm not giving up, but I can't wait until my weight loss is obvious in pictures.

Replies

• vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    it will happen - just keep doing what you are doing. When you need to move to smaller size clothes, then have your photo re-taken - and you will see the difference. Camera's, by the way, are not always kind - I have heard that they make you look at least 5 lbs heavier in a photo than you really are - I don't know if that is true or not, but if it is - then you just can't count on them to be accurate unless you have distinct comparison photos.

Good luck on reaching your goal.

Vickie
  • NavySailor
    NavySailor Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Stay positive and stay motivated...the same thing happened to me about 50 lbs ago and I was depressed as well for a moment...then I took that picture and carried it with me to continue to motivate me!!!! Keep doing what your doing!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I am sorry for this bit of negative feedback, but please don't let it bring you down or stall you out. This is a journey, a process; it doesn't happen all at once. IT is a shame that we harbor the negative images so much stronger than the positive ones, but you are not alone, we all tend to do that. Kudos to you on your 12 pounds loss in a month. That is really an awesome accomplishment and having traveled the same road, I can promise you that if you keep doing what you are doing you will reap the benefits of further weight loss and improved health! Be sure to be buying smaller clothes as you lose, because if you keep wearing clothes that are baggy on you, it is hard to notice the difference! And new clothes are also one of the perks!!! You are doing great! Keep it up!
  • delannylucena
    Options
    You will get there! Each day is a step, be a little patient. You will see your perfect pictures! :)
  • ghalliday
    ghalliday Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    12 pounds ia an AMAZING achievement!!!!! You shoould b sooooo proud of yourself :-))))
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    12lbs is amazing & we often don't see the weight loss on ourselves because it's so slow and gradual that we don't notice since we see ourselves everyday. I'm sure that if you showed the before & the current picture to people who don't know you or don't see you regularly, we could totally tell the difference!! My husband was 450lbs and is now 220lbs & he still says he "doesn't notice that he's changed" okay seriously ... over 200 lbs? There is OBVIOUSLY a HUGE change BUT, I think along the way we see our progress and don't think it's much because we seem to FORGET what we looked like in the beginning !!! Keep your head up, & keep going with it. Sometimes it takes hitting a certain number before all of a sudden it just seems to "fall off" & everyone will start commenting !!
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    I take progress pics, take them in a bikini and you will notice changes for sure! 12lbs is a good amount of weight lost, no way your body hasnt changed.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    It seems like the more you have to lose, sometimes the longer it takes before you can see results. Don't worry one day you will lose that right amount and go, "Woah! Is that me!??!" Keep going!
  • carlita231
    Options
    Everyone, thank you so much all of your comments really mean a lot to me... I know that 12 lbs is a lot and I have been really proud how I am doing. I definitely won't give up and I will keep going until my pictures are exactly how I want them to look.

Definitely think it will help if I go ahead and move down to the next size clothes..I am still wearing my regular clothes and maybe that's why I still seem so large..hadn't thought of that. Also, I am going to start taking progress pictures, that will definitely help me identify where I am losing the weight..

You guys are the best! Thank you everyone! :-)
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    So, I've lost 12lbs in the last month..I have been completely excited about my weight loss/new life plan. Exercising 6 days a week, watching to make sure that I am eating healthy and I am seeing the results. I know it's going to take time to hit my goal of losing 55 pounds total, I realize that I am in this for the long haul and I am excited about my journey.

Then last night occurred.. We went to an awards banquet for my son's little league and a photographer took a ton of pictures which he kindly posted online this morning.. Sadly, even though I have lost 12lbs the camera didn't seem to notice at all..it was so discouraging to see those pictures...

I'm not giving up, but I can't wait until my weight loss is obvious in pictures.

10lbs is an average amount that gets added onto photos. 10lbs! There is a reason why photographic models are usually stick-thin and that extra 10lbs is it!

Therefore, although it may not have shown very much in your photos, you can bet in real life it notices.

Don't get discouraged, just continue doing what you are doing x
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I agree pictures are a nightmare when you're not happy with your weight. But trust me, they will get better!! :bigsmile:

As you get smaller, you'll appreciate all these pictures to check back on how far you've come!! Look forwards, not back.

keep on going until you're happy. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    12 pounds ia an AMAZING achievement!!!!! You shoould b sooooo proud of yourself :-))))

what she said :) You are doing GREAT!
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    ALSO ... compare last night's pics to pics when you were 12lbs heavier I bet YOU see the difference :)
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    DONT LET THOSE PICTURES DISCOURAGE YOU LET THEM INSPIRE YOU!! LET THEM SET A FIRE IN YOU LIKE NO OTHER! Start imaging walking into that same situation 30 lbs from now and the response you will initiate then!!! You got this if you want it!! I think you do because your off to a soild start! AND you want the next group photo to be your AFTER pic!!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

You are right, don't give up, keep going and you will get there sooner than later. Congratulations on your weigth loss!
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I took photos today to show my 15lb loss but I dont see a difference in the photos, so i am not even gonna post them..... grrr. I notice it in the mirror, but for some reason It is not comming out in the photos.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I've lost 62 and sometimes the photos don't pick it up.

Just keep doing what's working, and you'll eventually get there.
  • angiereid
    Options
    same problem here i lost 34 pounds and i say hey why do i still look fat? i think sometimes no matter how thin i get i will never see what i want, but that is just me you probably look wonderful but your eyes won't see it at least that's what they always tell me
  • Brat3073
    Options

Please dont get too upset! I started Curves and i love it....well i love it now. They keep track of measurements on a monthly basis and if it would not have been for those measurements, i would have wuit when i gained 2 pounds my first month! but i lost 7.75 inches! dont worry about the 12 pounds, i bet you look fab! Keep up the good work.:flowerforyou:
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I've lost 62 and sometimes the photos don't pick it up.

Just keep doing what's working, and you'll eventually get there.

{I'm his wife:wink: }

The biggest time for the pictures to not pick up his loss is when he isn't wearing clothes that fit. When he's in his old shirts and such, it is MUCH harder to tell than when he is in his newer clothes that actually fit. That is something else to consider. If the outfit you were wearing doesn't fit you perfectly anymore (is it starting to be loose?), it DEFINATELY won't help those pictures look any better!

Keep going. You will get there! And then, when you put on your new outfit a size or two smaller, the difference would be HUGELY noticable! :drinker: