Protein Drinks

Options
I just bought Body Fortress Whey Protein Powder to increase my protein intake without adding sugar and carbs. For those of you that drink protein drinks, do you drink them as a meal or do you use them as a snack? I had one for breakfast (one scoop) and a light Cheesehead String Cheese. I'm wondering if this will keep me full until lunchtime. I'd love to hear your experiences (both positive and negative) drinking the protein shakes.

Replies

• kjvanatta
    kjvanatta Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I drink mine as a snack after I work out. Honestly it doesn't fill me up. I usually just push through. I bought the EAS shakes.
  • NavySailor
    NavySailor Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes I drink them on and off....nothing horribly wrong with them...I use them as a snack....are you unable to get the protein you need from the foods you are eating? What is your main reason for going with a protein shake? What is your daily req for protein? I need a bit more information.
  • fonrouge82
    fonrouge82 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Yes I drink them on and off....nothing horribly wrong with them...I use them as a snack....are you unable to get the protein you need from the foods you are eating? What is your main reason for going with a protein shake? What is your daily req for protein? I need a bit more information.

My protein goal is 128g/day with no exercise. I typically exercise 4x's/wk burning about 650 calories per session. This, in turn, increases my protein goals to a level that I have difficulty meeting without going over on carbs. I have my settings at 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fat. This seems to be working for me for weight loss and I would like that to continue. I am 6.5 lbs. away from my goal weight.
  • rosef17
    Options
    I use GNC Total Lean Shakes and switch off on the flavors. I kinda bounce around between having them for breakfast/snack. They definitely keep me filled till lunch if I have them for breakfast
  • merbee
    merbee Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I drink them for breakfast. Never been much of a breakfast person - find it hard to choke down food early in the morning. Used to grab a coffee and a muffin on my way to work and eat it at my desk in the mornings. I found it extremely hard to break the morning coffee routine - so what I do is buy french vanilla flavoured protein shake - mix it with milk and add instant doffee granules to it. I must admit I found myself hungry for the frist few weeks when lunch finally came around - so I would make myself an herbal tea at break time at work. Now, I can not thing of anything else to have for breakfast. I love them !!!
  • NavySailor
    NavySailor Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Ok, well you certainly can do a protein shake to get to the protein amount you desire...however be aware that some of these shakes can tend to be a bit higher in calories...there is a product out there call Muscle Milk Light that is pretty low in calories and gives a pretty good protein boost...that said there are a few high protein low carb foods that if your not eating now you should be....

Eggs, most legumes to include beans, lentils and soy, nuts (specifically walnuts and almonds), and obviously dairy products.

I am pretty confident most people can get to their protein requirement simply by eating the right foods however if you feel that you can't eat or eat more of these foods I listed than a protein shake might just be what you need.
  • eweber2112
    Options
    I use one in the morning and one for lunch. It is the quickest way I have found to jump start my weight loss. The issue I always had was the taste. Most taste like a can or have a wicked soy aftertaste. I have discovered the Premier Nutrition brand at Sams club and they are 30g of protein with only 160 calories. I typically have one of these and a peice of fruit for my meals. I still have my coffee as well. I find that I am only hungry towards dinner.
  • vbrinks
    vbrinks Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I drink one after i swim early in the morning. I add a little fruit sometimes too. They don't keep me full, but it is a great way to add protein to your diet.
  • vbrinks
    vbrinks Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Awesome weight loss! Yea for you! You inspire me! :blushing:
  • qifitness
    qifitness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Dieticians recommend protein intake comes from diet, but for some people (e.g. vegetarians) supplements such as protein drinks are often used.

However, a piece of advice a dietician I used to work with (who had a Doctorate in Nutrition and Dietetics) gave to people who use these drinks was that protein of the best quality should come from food. The problem with protein drinks is that our bodies can not necessarily process every type of amino acid we choose to put in them. The right 'digestive environment' is necessary to process proteins and effectively use them.

The bottom line is that the predicted amount of protein the drinks claim we are getting is not exactly what gets 'processed' and used by the body.

In most cases, he advised, it is not exactly value-for-money to use these drinks (unless advised to by a registered dietician).
    Protein from food also has the benefit of containing many other useful nutrients.

Also, he advised that an unnecessary high protein intake is common with users of the drinks.
    An intake of 1g/kg/body weight is now recommended, and even for high endurance or professional athletes, no more than 2g/kg/body weight is necessary.

I hope this helps.
  • caseyclementson
    Options
    I use Hammer Whey Protein and mix it with chocolate soymilk and a banana.... or vanilla soymilk and frozen berries. I use it if I'm running late and need to eat on the run or if I know my calorie intake is going to be low for that day and I need a little something extra. Protein drinks are also good if you drink them within an hour of a hard workout. I'm training for a marathon and I drink one after my long runs.
  • fonrouge82
    Options
    Awesome weight loss! Yea for you! You inspire me! :blushing:

Awww...thank you! :blushing:
  • Breathe_Glamour
    Options
    To lose weight, I replaced one meal a day with my AdvantEDGE EAS protein shake...it doesn't "fill" me up but it holds me for about 2 hours. I think the drinks are fairly sweet but they don't have too much sugar (which I love)...anyway, after about 2 hours I typically have a fruit but I don't treat my shake as a "snack."
  • fonrouge82
    Options
    Ok, well you certainly can do a protein shake to get to the protein amount you desire...however be aware that some of these shakes can tend to be a bit higher in calories...there is a product out there call Muscle Milk Light that is pretty low in calories and gives a pretty good protein boost...that said there are a few high protein low carb foods that if your not eating now you should be....

Eggs, most legumes to include beans, lentils and soy, nuts (specifically walnuts and almonds), and obviously dairy products.

I am pretty confident most people can get to their protein requirement simply by eating the right foods however if you feel that you can't eat or eat more of these foods I listed than a protein shake might just be what you need.

Thank you so much for your advice! I have not tried Muscle Milk Light but I will. I am eating lentils, nuts, Greek yogurt and some meat. Eggs make me feel :sick: though so I don't include them in my diet. The shake that I made this a.m. has 140 cals/scoop-not too high for a meal-a bit high for a snack though. Thanks again!
  • fonrouge82
    Options
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to give me advice. I appreciate the support from every one of you! :heart:
  • GregCrowder
    GregCrowder Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I drink mine as a snack. I drink with water and 1/2 portion of Myoplex Lite a meal replecement. The protein supplement I use is 80 calories per scoop and a scoop of Myoplex Lite is 90 calories total snack is 170 calories and tides me over between meals. I have 2 a day or if on the go I have a Zone Perfect Meal Replacement Bar (Dark Chocolate) which are 180 to 190 calories. The bars are sold at Target for $4.27 per 5 pack a good value and I find tasty and quite satisfying as a snack.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    If I am going into a hard workout day, I will mix up some protein powder with milk and then pour it over my kashi golean cereal. Talk about a Superman breakfast!
  • Blessed2BeeAlive
    Blessed2BeeAlive Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    :smile: I got my friend into drinking them, she loves them & drinks it through the day, until just b4 dinner. I'm starting this with "Life's Basics," which is a Vegan Version of plant protein. We just though it together in a blender with lots of fruit, however I'd like my husband to make an official recipe with appropriate proportions out of it for me. My friend would like it that way too, I'm sure.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Dieticians recommend protein intake comes from diet, but for some people (e.g. vegetarians) supplements such as protein drinks are often used.

However, a piece of advice a dietician I used to work with (who had a Doctorate in Nutrition and Dietetics) gave to people who use these drinks was that protein of the best quality should come from food. The problem with protein drinks is that our bodies can not necessarily process every type of amino acid we choose to put in them. The right 'digestive environment' is necessary to process proteins and effectively use them.

The bottom line is that the predicted amount of protein the drinks claim we are getting is not exactly what gets 'processed' and used by the body.

In most cases, he advised, it is not exactly value-for-money to use these drinks (unless advised to by a registered dietician).
    Protein from food also has the benefit of containing many other useful nutrients.

Also, he advised that an unnecessary high protein intake is common with users of the drinks.
    An intake of 1g/kg/body weight is now recommended, and even for high endurance or professional athletes, no more than 2g/kg/body weight is necessary.

I hope this helps.

Whey protein can be a tremendous value..An inexpensive source of protein. Also show me another protein source that is as rich in amino acids and as low calorie as many protein shakes. That means they have a favorable profile compared to whole foods. And they can be a convenient way to get in some protein.
  • qifitness
    qifitness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Take another look at who was giving the advice......

A registered dietician with a Doctorate (PhD) in nutrition and dietetics, who ( I forgot to mention) is a nutrition consultant to several UK football (soccer in US) and UK rugby football clubs. Also to several full-time professionals in athletics and boxing.