Plateau- should I up my calories?

Options
I have been yo-yo-ing a pound off & on for a month now. I can't believe that at eating 1200 calories & exercising, I am not losing weight. I have increased my cardio & continue to increase it as it gets easier. I am really dedicated to eating right & I do cardio in the form of jogging every day. I started weight training a couple of weeks ago as well. I cannot go down in my calories... Should I go up? I am a mom to a 2 & a half year old so you moms know how that goes- keeping up with her & carrying her around when she is too tired to walk, lifting in & out of carseat & shopping carts, holding her up so she can reach the monkey bars like the big kids, etc. I am also a full time student & I walk about half a mile to & from my classes (and up & down stairs) 3 days a week. I do not count this as exercise because I am not exactly sure of the distance & because i don't break a sweat or anything (I typically run 2-3 miles every morning so the uphill walk & 2 flights of stairs to my class has been getting easier!). So I am wondering if it is possible I need more calories? If I increase to 1300 daily- will it jump start my weight loss again? I have myself as sedentary because the description says "nurses & those who are on their feet most of the day." While I am in school for nursing, and I do clinical at the hospital one day a week- I am on my feet there for the 6 hours. But I am no where near moving around as much as those nurses do! Or should I stick to 1200 & hope that my body will eventually catch up & drop a pound or two since it hasn't budged in a month.

Replies

• S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    Options
    Hey,

so, when I hit a plateau I started to zig-zag diet and change my exercise routine. MFP had me a 1300 calories per day, and I exercised 6 times per week.
    I am not sure if you are familiar with the zig zag diet, but you eat below your calories one day, and make up the calories the next. Of course, you don't pig out the next day ;) You just eat slightly more. Also, I changed a little bit of what I ate. Additionally, I changed my work out routine. I added something that I despise, which is running.
    However, die zig zag diet and the work out change helped my body guessing and I broke the plateau.

Good luck :)
  • Andre_Demers
    Options
    Stay on course and you will eventually lose. Don't forget to revaluate your goals, it could tell you to eat less and do more exercise since you lost more weight. If you weight yourself once a week then maybe that day you had more water into you or anyother possibility. The last thing you need is for your body to get ups and downs, stay steady and all will work out. It takes time and time and even more time. Take courage. :)
  • skadeetin
    Options
    My advice (and I'm no expert by any stretch) is YES. I have my calorie count at 1350 and I'm a single mom and full time student. I walk quite a bit, but sit during class. I LOVE to exercise and I also do tae kwon do four times a week with my 13 year old daughter. I just started MFP but started dieting six weeks ago. Had the same problem. Then, I upped my calorie intake. Whenever I don't eat enough, my body seems to cling to the calories. I have to eat about 1800-2000 calories per day NOT 1600. AND I feel so much better! Lots more energy!

Even if you do up your number to 1300 or 1350, you are adding about 700 calories a week. Giving it a try for a week certainly won't hurt yes?

Good luck!
  • skadeetin
    Options
    PS: I've lost 7 pounds since I upped my calorie intake. only one pound since I started MFP. :)
  • qifitness
    qifitness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This is professionally qualified advice so I hope it will help.

The answer to your query is YES. Increase your calorie intake.

There is a phenomenon referred to as 'starvation response'. If calorie intake falls below what it needs to function metabollically, nature has evolved us with a protective response. In order to deal with this 'starvation', metabolism slows down to reduce mimimum energy expenditure.

Also, if carbohydrate levels are below what is needed to maintain necessary blood sugar levels, our bodies will convert protein (muscle tissue) to sugar/carbohydrate through a process called glyconeogenesis.

This response is rife amongst dieters, but very few people realise it.

You're an active person (that doesn't exclusively refer to exercise routines), so will be using up blood sugar at a fair rate. It has to be replenished. Protein levels should also be looked at carefully to make sure you're getting at least 1g/kg of your body weight. (The previous recommendation of 0.8g/kg body weight is now considered by many dieticians to be outdated.)

What you're experiencing seems to suggest you're not eating enough on 1200 calories, and that your body is trying to 'fight back'.
  • ysaidpie
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice!! I am going to try a combination of both- increase my caloric intake and zig-zag dieting. Thinking 1200 will be my low day and 1300 or 1350 will be a high day. I am hoping this works, because I am starting to worry that I am in "starvation mode." 1200 calories a day is too easy, and I don't get the hungry feeling anymore that used to trigger me to eat every couple of hours. Now I just eat because it's "time to eat" as opposed to my stomach growling and telling me that I NEED food. Will see how it goes.
  • ysaidpie
    Options
    Thanks qifitness!!! It has taken me a month to realize that this lack of weight loss isn't just "hormonal" or water weight or whatever. I have been struggling with it for 4 weeks despite my increase in activity!! I eat back my exercise calories yet I always wonder if they are the accurate amount of calories for what I have burned. I do cardio in form of jogging, but I do this outside. There are many inclines on my typical routes and sometimes I take my daughter in the jogging stroller adding an additional 35 pounds or that I need to push. There is no calculation for pushing a stroller based on speed and weight of stroller- so I just put in regular jogging. I dont know how to put in calories bburned from weight training so i dont even count them. I am eating more starting today. I hope I don't gain weight as a result, maybe I should avoid the scale for a couple weeks while my body regulates itself
  • qifitness
    qifitness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm pleased that you found the explanation helpful, however I'd strongly advise you to 'listen' to your body.
    It will tell you when it needs food (but beware being tricked by 'cravings' which are more psychological than biological).

Try eating little and often, which is a more natural way, rather than by the clock. This also has the benefit of regulating blood sugar which helps regulate appetite. Using the Glycaemic Index (used by diabetics) to choose low GI foods is a very effective way of doing this.

And 'zig-zagging? It's another fad diet.
    Under-eating can affect your metabolism (as described previously), and then potentially trigger an over-eating response.
  • caseyclementson
    Options
    Yes! More calories!

I don't know what your height and weight are, but 1200 calories a day seems awfully low for someone who is working out regularly. Like previously mentioned, your body is probably "thinking" it's starving and hanging on to whatever it can.