Inside vs outside

Options
I'm wondering if there is a difference in calories burned between walking on a treadmill inside or walking outside in 100+ weather.
Does anyone know. I tried to google the question and got tons of answers but none that helped. Would value any info available.

Replies

• DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    The major difference between walking inside vs. outside is hills which can give you a better work out if you don't use incline on a treadmill. With the warmer temp. you do sweat more but that doesn't mean you burn more calories. You lose weight by sweating but that is only water weight and as soon as you drink water your body soaks it back up. This is part of the reason why it is good to way yourself the same time of day when you do your weigh-in, due to water weight flux your weight changes though out the day. I hope this answered your question and good luck to you.
  • savanahspring
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that walking outside is harder. Hills definitely make it much more difficult and also the ground is not moving underneath you, as it would on a treadmill. It takes more force to take a step on solid ground than it does on a treadmill that is already moving. Not saying that treadmills are not as good as outside, the best exercise is whatever one you will do!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Assuming level terrain, there is no difference walking outdoors vs on a treadmill. Running is a different story (outside is harder), but walking speeds are not fast enough to make a difference.

Temperature makes little difference.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    For me, the tread mill is safer, less cars to dodge, lol.....and dogs

also, living in Texas, the air conditioning makes it worth the drive to the gym....Lloyd
  • macarman
    Options
    Thanks you everyone - you answered my question completely. I appreciate all you help.:happy: