Protein Shakes & Workout

Options
OK so ive heard so much about protein shakes that im confused.. some say its great for you when working out, others say it gets you fat! im so confused.

I started working out straight for the past 3 weeks. (5 days a week, a lot of cardio and light weights) in the last month or so i lost a total of 11lbs i just need to tone really bad!!!!! . im 33yrs 5-5 149lbs F

Meals:
BF- Organic blueberries with 2% plain Greek yogurt
Lunch: Salad/vegies with light protein
Dinner: fish, with salad or veggies

im eating the right calories (when adding snack etc, so thats not my problem) what i want to know is how do i get the best out of my workout with protein shakes.. when should i take it and does it really make you gain weight? also does anyone know any food i should stick with in order to get lean yet toned?

thanks guys!!!!!

Replies

• donnysoule
    donnysoule Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    With your weight and limited consumption of calories, keep in mind that protein shakes generally have the calorie equivalent of an entire meal..... If you're trying to supplement the amount of protein you are taking in to increase lean muscle, I would suggest you look into "protein shots" Profecta makes a good one that has 25g of protein per 100 calories, that is great bang for the buck. Also, if building lean muscle is your goal, the 2 best times to take it are right after your workout as a recovery drink and right before bed when your body does the most work rebuilding your muscles. Most of the energy shots have 2 shots per bottle, I would suggest taking half after your workout and the other half when you go to bed. That will add 50g or protein at a cost of only 200 Calories.

Hope this helps
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are not needed. If you can hit your protein goal without supplements that is even better. The shakes are just a tool to help people reach their protein intake, no different then eating more chicken or other protein source.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are not needed. If you can hit your protein goal without supplements that is even better. The shakes are just a tool to help people reach their protein intake, no different then eating more chicken or other protein source.

Correct.
  • Schninie
    Schninie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    If you really want to tone, start lifting heavy.

As unscientific as i can explain it, you build muscle by tearing (aka lifting heavy weights) and it repairing itself. Now with that said, a lot of light weights will burn fat, but not build muscle, and heavy weights will help increase your strength, so you can lift heavier weights.

As far as protein is concern, that is what your body uses to build the muscles back up. For me after speaking to my doctor 1 g of protein per lb of body weight is what he said is the norm, but some people need more some people need less.

Protein shakes are a great way to get protein, and if you aren't worried about the calories or need to add more calories, and don't feel like eat 20 lbs of Talapia a day, then I'd say go for it.

When you get your heart rate to a certain point (vigorous cardio) your body will start to break down muscle to use as fuel, so its important to balance cardio and weight lifting to make sure you are building/maintaining the muscle you have while you are burning fat.

Hope that helps.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Correct.

A+
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Correct.

A+

Yep.....and Protein shakes are like any other food. It'll make you fat if you have too much of it and it pushes you into a caloric surplus. If it's something you want to use, you need to make sure you have room in your deficit for it. Caloric values do vary, so you can most likely fit one in.
  • Grin3
    Grin3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It depends on how many calories and the amount of protein are in the shakes you are eating. Take Nutrisystem Protein Shakes for example. The strawberry has 110 calories and 15 grams of protein. This will keep you from feeling hungry but does not give you alot of calories. The amount of protein is low so it does not help much in the muscle building department. These shakes keep me just as full as a Walmart strawberry non-fat greek yogurt (140 calories) does but with less calories. Also the Carbohydrate 22 gram in the yogurt, while in the shake it is only 8 gram.You need to find the right balance for you.

Also remember that protein shakes in high amounts of protein per serving will help you build muscle. Muscles wieghs more than fat, but muscles burn fat/calories so you are better off with more muscle. Again, find the right balance for you.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Also remember that protein shakes in high amounts of protein per serving will help you build muscle. Muscles wieghs more than fat, but muscles burn fat/calories so you are better off with more muscle. Again, find the right balance for you.

You need to be in a caloric surplus though.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    If you can hit your protein goal without supplements that is even better
    Tell me how its even better if you say "no different then eating more chicken or other protein source".?