Is a flat stomach an unrealistic goal

Options
I'm 18 years old. I weigh 135lbs. I do strength training 3x a week and hiit cardio 3x a week. I eat lots of fruits and veggies. I also enjoy having sweets like chocolate granola bars, ice-cream, cereal in small amounts but daily. I don't want a six pack but just a nice flat stomach with small amount of fat. Any tips, I've never had a flat stomach before. Is this unrealistic to meet?

Replies

• jgal86
    jgal86 Posts: 77
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Just eat at a caloric deficit and lower your body fat %. The flat stomach will come
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    For me it is, I've had two kids and my stomach looks like pizza dough.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    It might be unrealistic, in the sense that bodies do not generally make perfectly flat shapes. Fit, with a stomach that other people would consider "flat", is realistic.
  • MorganBunny
    Options
    I gained weight over the summer and im about the same now(I'm 5'5)
    At my normal weight,120 pounds my stomach is pretty darn flat.
    It's Definitely not impossible.How tall are you though? because that could make it harder/easier for you.
    Feel free to add me btw!
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    No, it's not. I've had 3 kids. The littlest of whom is not yet 2. Lower your body fat % and it will come.

What kind of "strength training" do you do? Might be time to switch to lifting? :wink:
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    No, not unrealistic.
    Even some women that have had children get a flat tummy.
    I don't think it will come for me, 2 out of 3 kids stretched my small frame beyond what I thought was scientifically possible.
    However, I still work at it and hope. Someday.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Unrealistic? No
    Can everyone get one? unlikely

Gentics have a lot to to say about the shape of our bodies, Ive always been very broad chested, got that V look from stomach to shoulders, even If I was to bring my BF% down and not strength traing my upper body, I wil proberly still have a broad chest.

To give you the best chance you will just have to bring your bf% down, you cant spot reduce or tone certain areas, its totally upto the bofy where it comes off.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Just eat at a caloric deficit and lower your body fat %. The flat stomach will come

Maybe, but it's not always exact. The fact that you're 18 certainly works in your favor. It is partially genetic - some people still have a belly even at a perfect body weight / body fat percentage because of the way they are built. But in most cases, yes, it's possible.
  • MK608
    MK608 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

This! You made me smile/chuckle because I can totally relate :)
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and 135 pounds and I'm pretty darn close to a flat stomach. Lowering your bf% is the key!
  • LornaRodda
    LornaRodda Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 this year, have two children and have a six pack.

Lower your body fat and keep up with the strength training and it will come.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    It's possible, minimize muscle loss while losing weight will help you lower your bodyfat percentage. Might as well aim for abs, and if you fail to achieve a six pack you will probably have atleast a flat stomich.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    It's lowering BF%

Diet (caloric deficit) + Work (cardio/strength training) + patience = a flatter stomach.

At your age, and the way you exercise (per your OP), a view into your diary could be helpful.
  • hml_rachel
    hml_rachel Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks for responding, I love hearing your opinions. I'm 5'5. Just recently, past 3 weeks have I been trying to get my stomach to slim down more.
  • RGv2
    Options
    Just recently, past 3 weeks have I been trying to get my stomach to slim down more.

How?
  • hml_rachel
    hml_rachel Posts: 20
    Options
    What do you mean how? I'm not saying I have gotten a flat stomach in that time but that I've been focusing on trying to reach that goal.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It's not unrealistic at all, but how easily you will get one will depend on your genetics and where you store fat most.

Keep at a calorie deficit, and the flat stomach will come with time :)
  • RGv2
    Options
    What do you mean how? I'm not saying I have gotten a flat stomach in that time but that I've been focusing on trying to reach that goal.

What do you mean by "trying to get my stomach to slim down more"? What are you doing? Change in diet, exercise, etc...
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options

HA!!! I feel your pain!!! :laugh: