Ketosis?

Options
I have seen a lot of talk about ketosis on the MFP forums. I'm just wondering, what is it? I have googled a bit about it and it certainly doesn't seem like the right thing for me. I need carbs to exercise or my energy levels just plummet. Anyone have experience with ketosis and some knowledge of what it is?

Just out of curiosity of course.

Replies

• mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Ketosis is a metabolic state in which your body switches to using ketone bodies as fuel (as opposed to glucose). This metabolic state is obtained only by carbohydrate restriction, usually below 20g (though individuals differ on this).

I am in ketosis a majority of the time. Initially, my workouts suffered a bit -- I wasn't able to dig down to get the last rep or two out of my sets like I could. Over a couple months, as my body got more used to the "new normal", I started functioning back in normal levels. There are other methods of using dietary ketosis alongside intense workouts -- cyclical ketogenic diets (wherein one "carbs up" for a day or two each week, in a controlled fashion) and targeted ketogenic diets (where people intake carbohydrates as part of periworkout nutrition, only).

This is a vast simplification, but I hope it at least gives you the basics.
  • jgal86
    jgal86 Posts: 77
    Options
    Wow awesome info! Thanks guys