How do you prepare for Insanity ?

Options
I have already done Jillian Micheals ripped in 30 and 30 day shred twice now. Is there anything else I should do to get ready for Insanity?

Replies

• emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Options
    My girl jumped into it without really ever having a consistent workout plan. And she finished. After the programs you've done I say you're ready. It's tough and you will want to quit, but keep at it. The results are amazing! Good luck!
  • nymorena
    nymorena Posts: 3
    Options
    i'm on the insanity program now and I can tell you its no joke. I havent seen any results yet due to me not being consistent since I am deployled and duty dictates. However, i'll keep you posted in the next 2 weeks to let you know if i've made any progress. I can tell you it takes a toll on your knees, so be prepared for that.
  • Serenajeans
    Serenajeans Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
  • JacMarieSTL
    JacMarieSTL Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I just started it last night, and I agree with the above posters.. .its no joke!! The fit test itselft was hard!!! I work out 6 days a week, and have lost 100+ lbs... and this is something like I've never done before. I'm sore today, and my boyfriend could barely move. ha!!!

You can do it though, stick to it!! And most imporantly, dont be discouraged by the speed/pace they go.... do it at your own pace. If you stick with it, and have a good nutrition plan, you'll see results whether or not you can do 10 burpees, or 40.... do what works for you! Good luck!
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm on the last two weeks and I went into it as a pretty decent runner. It kicked my butt hard at first. It's still hard. I don't think you need special prepping, just really listen to your body and do what you can. It is easy to over do it. Like someone else said, it is very high impact so watch the knees and back.
    Oh and the second month the workouts are significantly longer. I had no clue. If you are like me and on a tight work out schedule, it's nice to know ahead of time.
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    So if one does this, would a mat help with the knee/back issues? I'm nowhere near Insanity yet but I like to know what I'm going to be getting into...:)
  • xdieselx
    xdieselx Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You cant prepare for insanity because even if you are in great shape, some of the workouts will wore you out (just check the participants in the videos with awesome bodies, some of them have to take breaks too)

Be prepared to increase your calories a lot to fuel your body for the workouts as you will need it! Don't be afraid to not lose weight even if you up your calories! I did this mistake when I initially did it (was eating around 2000 calories per day instead of the recommended 2800 calories per day recommended by the nutrition guide to LOSE weight) and I felt worn out a lot in the month 2 workouts because I didn't have enough fuel.

Just take breaks whenever you need them and do the whole workout. The first video (after the fit test) takes around 40minutes to complete and on my first day, it took me 1h30 because I took so many breaks (I had to take a break 5 minutes into the warmup haha). You will feel that you suck when you start but don't give up. Just keep doing it, take breaks when you need it, pause the video and restart it when you are good. After just 2 weeks you will see improvements on your fit test and you will be taking much less breaks and you will feel much better about yourself.
  • kaleena1983
    kaleena1983 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I finished Insanity a couple weeks ago. If you already work out, then you will most likely not have any problems with it. It is definitely challenging, but it's not impossible! My only complaint is that it caused a lot of knee pain for me. I put a lot of focus on form, but it was still rough. However, I did end up losing 9 pounds, a lot of inches, and I definitely feel faster and stronger. :)
  • lcransaw
    lcransaw Posts: 95
    Options
    From the looks of my cousin who just started the program two days ago, you will need lots of Epsom salt, muscle pain cream, and the will to push though to finish. Good Luck!
  • xdieselx
    xdieselx Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    So if one does this, would a mat help with the knee/back issues? I'm nowhere near Insanity yet but I like to know what I'm going to be getting into...:)

I don't know if a mat will make a difference (maybe good shoes will as well) but I carried knee pain in my left leg during my whole first month of insanity. However it went away during my recovery week. So much jumping its crazy! Its definitely a high impact training. If its too hard on your legs you can modify some movements to reduce the impact.
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    well it wont be too bad for you since you did rip in 30 and 30 day shred I did insanity last year before getting into it I did zumba but insanity was def way wayyy more cardio lol but I tell you what kept me motivated was the sweating after a workout felt accomplished I actually reached my goal weight but I got pregnant lol now im back to get my weight back down I am doing rip in 30 as my first workout since last year and in sept I will start insanity again as far as meal plan I reached my goal and I kinda tweaked their meal plan due to work
  • Serenajeans
    Serenajeans Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow, it looks like I will have to eat a LOT more calories than I do now.
    Thanks for the advice! I will keep the possibility of injuries in mind.
    I just ordered it! 7-10 days and it's ON!
  • LisaMfit4life
    LisaMfit4life Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just make sure as far as the calories go that you are fueling your body with a clean diet. Nutrition is very important to achieve results, because the program is only part of the equation. I just completed Insanity last month, and am 51 years old. Take breaks when you need to and really concentrate on your form. I would also recommend doing a little more stretching to help with the sore muscles. My recommendation and what helped me especially in the last month was the Results & Recovery drink. Once I started drinking that post workout the soreness was manageable. It has nothing to do with my age because I've been active and exercising pretty consistent for 20 years doing Jillian Michaels, P90X, etc. The program is intense but you can do it. Have fun and remember Dig Deep!!:smile:
    Lisa
  • zipzap77
    zipzap77 Posts: 9
    Options
    Honestly just go for it, it will kick your *kitten* at first regardless and the point of insanity is to improve over time, thats why there is a fitness test.