Walking

Options
How can I determine how fast I am walking in order to know how many calories I had burned? In the exercise part it gives you 3.0, 4.0. 5.0 mph.

Replies

• MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I wondered this at first too. You can figure it out by the distance you are walking and the time it takes you. For example up my street and back is 1 mile and I can walk it in 14 minutes. 4.0mph would be a mile in 15 minutes...so I log it as 4.0 mph as it is the closest.
  • fun_mom
    Options
    If you have a smart phone like an iPhone or Blackberry or Droid then you can download an application called Endomondo. Its free! It will track how far you go, map your route, tell you how fast you went etc. I love it. I'm not sure what you would do if you don't have some kind of device that has GPS on it so you can track your workout. When I don't have my Endomondo going I usually choose about 3.5 when I'm walking with some real effort and feel somewhat breathless. When I'm walking briskly but not out of breath and not feeling like I'm pushing it then I choose 3.0.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I think that's why they give you the exaples along with it...walking the dog, leisurely stroll, brisk pace.
    If you want to guess...If you are breaking into a sweat and are getting your heart pounding, then go for the "brisk Pace" 3.5 to 4.0. If you're just ambling along...go for the lower rates of speed.
    You can also determine how fast you are walking if you know the distance you've walked and how long you were at it. If you're walking 1 mile and it takes you 20 minutes, then you are at the 3.0 rate. If it's 15 minutes for a mile, you're at the 4.0.
    Anothe way is with a pedometer that also calculates your overall distance travelled and gives you your average rate of travel.

If you
    re on a treadmill, then it's a bit easier if the TM has a display with your rate of speed.
  • qifitness
    qifitness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If you don't have an iphone or similar, a simple pedometer can help determine pace when you're walking.
    However, it's most accurate if it allows you to enter your stride length.
  • jeanniegirl8
    Options
    Thanks everyone this helped alot! I do have a iphone so I'm going to download the app...:)
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I usually determine the distance by driving it in my car first, then I watch to see how long it took be to walk it. Math FTW!
    I like park trails because they're usually pre-marked for distance, so then I just have to watch my wristwatch.
  • qifitness
    Options
    There are also some simple and effective free pedometers worth downloading and giving a try (but others are not so good).

Take a look at the 'Footsteps' app.
  • jeanniegirl8
    Options
    I downloaded the app you suggested. But the speed and distance isn't moving but the duration is. Am I doing something wrong in the settings? Thanks!
  • jeanniegirl8
    Options
    I downloaded the app you suggested. But the speed and distance isn't moving but the duration is. Am I doing something wrong in the settings? Thanks!
  • mytmom
    Options
    I use the iPhone app Wallkmeter. I LOVE it! i have never been able to get a regular pedometer to work, never could get the stride length right, etc. The wlakmeter app uses the GPS in your phone and it's fun to go back and look at your route. I highly reccomend it. I tried several of these type of apps and this one is the one I stuck with!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I drove the route around my neighborhood and know my 1 mile or 2 mile routes. The good thing with knowing ahead of time is when I get to a certain point I want to push it to beat my last time!!

Good job, keep up the good work!! :flowerforyou:
  • qifitness
    Options
    Sounds like it. Go back into 'settings' and make sure you've activated everything.
    Mine has always worked just fine.
  • jeanniegirl8
    Options
    All of my settings seems to be turned on. But it says it's finding satellites. Could that be my problem?
  • qifitness
    Options
    The pedometer I suggested trying ('Footsteps') doesn't use satellite/GPS.

Perhaps you're looking at a different app.
  • jeanniegirl8
    Options
    Sorry, yes I downloaded the Endomondo app.
  • fun_mom
    Options
    Thanks everyone this helped alot! I do have a iphone so I'm going to download the app...:)

let me know your user name on endomondo and we can "friend" there! Might be fun to kind of challenge eachother!
  • angiereid
    Options
    i have the iphone and i use i steps for walking at the time when i got it it was free i think it is 1.99 now but a good app as well, only thing i dont like is if someone calls you and you answer it stops counting and you have to hot go again to make it keep going it counts where you left off but if you are talking for awhile well then your steps will be off. i also just got nikeid plus gps i love it only 1.99 it's wireless you do not need the shoe or sensor and it is very accurate i got it for running but you can walk too
  • arewethereyet
    Options

let me know your user name on endomondo and we can "friend" there! Might be fun to kind of challenge eachother!

I am downloading as we speak!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I also have a couple of apps for weight lifting that I love. I can use their suggested set, or invent my own. Gets me thru the gym!
  • arewethereyet
    Options

I am downloading as we speak!

nevermind