Anyone 163 lbs., Eating 1600 Calories & Losing Wt.?

Options

Replies

• 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8", 184 lbs, 56 yrs, and eating between 1400 - 1500 per day. I'm losing VERY SLOWLY. the calories I'm eating is with or without exercise each day, so sometimes I'm eating back the calories and days I don't exercise I'm still eating the same amount.

I don't know how to figure TDEE as you all are talking about. So I'd like to get up to date on that.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8", 184 lbs, 56 yrs, and eating between 1400 - 1500 per day. I'm losing VERY SLOWLY. the calories I'm eating is with or without exercise each day, so sometimes I'm eating back the calories and days I don't exercise I'm still eating the same amount.

I don't know how to figure TDEE as you all are talking about. So I'd like to get up to date on that.

I also have Hypothyroidism and autoimmune disease. So I take a lot of meds, which is NO help in losing weight!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    At 163 I had to increase my calories to start losing weight :|
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and started out at 165 lbs. I did 1240 calories a day because that's what MFP set for me and in the beginning I knew nothing about BMR, TDEE etc. My weight loss stalled at around 135 pounds and so based on what I'd learned by that time, I bumped my calories up to the 1500 neighborhood and started losing again, but slowly. So I decided to shoot for the 1240 on some days, and 1500 on others. It was sort of random which days I did what. It worked for me. But then, I was never rigid with the calorie thing anyways and went over plenty of days.

I'm 44 years old and fairly sedentary. And at 1240 calories per day I ate back any exercise calories to be sure not to ever go under 1200 net calories (on the advice of my doctor).

I am currently on maintenance and my goal is between 1600 and 1700 calories per day. My weight fluctuates of course, but has settled between 120 and 125. Which is great for me because I am small framed.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    I'm 41, 176 pounds, 5'5"

Eating 1500-1700 calories a day

No food 3 hours before bedtime.

I get 10,000+ steps in everyday which includes a nightly walk of 2 to 3 miles.

Still trying to find the right amount of calories to get weight to come off at a steady rate.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above posts. Too aggressive of a deficit. I posted this to a similar thread a while ago:

Remember TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

Set your calorie goal to TDEE. Eat less than that and you will start to lose weight. Do not set your calorie goal to 1600 and try to eat less than that. Generally anything more than 20% for overweight (not obese) is too large of a reduction from your TDEE and more likely than not you will lose lean body mass as it is a very aggressive deficit. There's also a good chance that you will not be able to sustain this in the long term and to be quite honest it is not sensible. I don't know many people (if anyone at the moment) who can sustain a >30% deficit for an extended period. Have a read of:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1017045-a-very-interesting-and-informational-read-on-deficits
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Remember there are two ways to lose weight: either decrease your caloric intake or increase your daily expenditure:

Eat 2000 calories per day + burn 0 calories from exercise = 2000 total calories
    Eat 2500 calories per day + burn 500 calories from exercise = 2000 total calories.

This is a simplified version, but the principle is the same. Follow a structured training program, eat an adequate amount of protein and also eat enough calories that your body needs. I don't know your current stats, but as mentioned going over 20% is not very wise.

Don't increase your calories by a big number (eg 1500 to 1900) as you will likely put on quite a bit of weight, but it will primarily be from water so it's actually fine in the long run. Rather, take a slow approach called reverse dieting. This is a term used, primarily by physique athletes, to refer to a phase after their photoshoot or competition where they use 100ish calorie increments in their weekly calorie goals. It's also very useful for extended period of calorie deficits.

For example, if your goal today is 1600 calories then increase it to 1700 calories for the week
    Next week 1800 calories
    Keep going until you reach about 1800-1900, whichever is right for you
    Assess your progress and if you are happy with 1800-1900 then stick to it. I know it sounds weird, "don't eat less than xzy" but this is just the way our bodies as well as our lifestyles work. The important part is being consistent. This method of reverse dieting will minimise fat gain when increasing your calories.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    A few years ago I was 167 and lost eating about 1700 a day.

I was working nights and on my feet almost constantly, and crossfitting 3 times a week.

Try TDEE - 15% or 10%... doesn't have to be 20, if you're not overly large no need for 20%.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm 41, 176 pounds, 5'5"

Eating 1500-1700 calories a day

No food 3 hours before bedtime.

I get 10,000+ steps in everyday which includes a nightly walk of 2 to 3 miles.

Still trying to find the right amount of calories to get weight to come off at a steady rate.

You likely need more, because you are a man. Men typically have higher muscle mass than women. Muscle is more metabolically active and need more calories to sustain.
  • Frankietb
    Frankietb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm 42, 5'3" and start weight on MFP was 158 lbs (I was 160.5 lbs for a while before joining but got down to 158 just by adding more exercise). I tried the TDEE-20% without eating back exercise (came out to about 1700 a day) and weight stayed the same for months!. I went down to 1300 net calories and eating back most of my exercise and I'm down almost 7 lbs! I was stuck for a while at the same weight so I increased it to NET 1400 calories and eating back most of my exercise. Most days I eat up to 1700 calories but my net is low because of exercise. The reason I think I'm successful this way is that with the TDEE-20%, I always ate up to 1700 calories regardless if I exercised or not. This way, at 1400 net, if I don't exercise I eat lower calories that day. :) Just remember (and what I'm learning also), patience is the key to your success. The weight may come off slow (as in my case) and some weeks it just doesn't come off but then it goes down, then up, then down some more and.... you get the picture. ;) Weight loss is not linear in the least.

Good luck! :smile:
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    If your TDEE-20% is 1807 why eat 1600? The 20% cut is already pretty aggressive for having 40ish pounds to lose.

^This, just eat at TDEE - 20%, anymore than that and you'll be losing more muscle than you want to.

^ what they said.
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5", turning 40 in a few weeks, 163 lbs and eat in the 1600 calorie range. I started in January at 1200 and once I got enlightened I started slowly increasing my calories because I not only want to lose weight but want to increase my metabolism so I don't have to starve myself for my entire life to maintain weight. It has been slow, I've only lost 20 lbs since the beginning of the year, but I also started strength training and feel much healthier and stronger. I tracked my weight loss and as I increased calories I saw that I lost at the same rate as eating at 1200. Recently while on vacation I was able to eat 2000-2300 and lose, but I was more active than I normally am. When I came home from vacation I tried to eat the same amount but had half the exercise so I had to readjust. This is a process and it takes time. Be patient with yourself, slowly test things out to see how they are working for you. Anything you change is going to require a readjustment from your body so give the process time to work. Realistically if you increase your calories by 200 per day and you have a jump on the scale in one or two weeks that is not true weight gain because we know it takes an extra 3500 calories to gain a pound. Do what you know is the right thing to do then ride it out and trust the process. I have a LOT of water fluctuations on the scale but I've got to pay attention to what is true and I eventually see results.
  • red869
    red869 Posts: 59
    Options
    I have had a very similar results-I am 5'2", I eat between 1500-1800 and have been losing ~6 lbs. per month. I started at 170- now down to 141.

I'm glad to hear that! Well done on your weight loss so far. I'm the same height as you and close to your start weight, and am hoping to eat around 1500-1700 calories too. My TDEE-20% with exercise is around 1700 calories.

Last year I lost 24 lbs in just under 6 months eating 1200 calories and working out 5-6 days a week. Some months I only lost 3 lbs, which is about the same as some people were losing in a week! It was hard going towards the end and I gave up and re-gained all the weight back. I'm hoping I'll eat more and lose weight but I am a little skeptical about eating so much. Will give it a try though and see what happens.

OP, I'd say to try eating that much and see if you lose weight on that. If not, lower it slightly until you begin seeing results. That what I intend to do anyway. Good luck :)
  • phoximom
    phoximom Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    great thread thank you poster and commenters
  • Butterflykisses123
    Butterflykisses123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight at 1600 before and I am again now. I'm 5'3", 26 years old,, and I eat between 1600-1700 a day, and don't eat back exercise calories. This is my second time doing this, last year I lost 20 lbs and went from 175 to 155. I was back up 166 this summer after abandoning all my workouts and eating only junk while back at school to finish my college degree, and I'm going for goal this time.

When I ran the numbers a year ago, I came up with almost exactly the same BMR and TDEE as you, but I wasn't losing at TDEE -20% 1800. 1600 (and a little more on days I do hard cardio) seems to be my sweet spot. Lost ~6 lbs in the last month, weighed in at 159 this morning. I'm running and doing Ripped in 30 for exercise.

I eat tons of fruits and veggies, not for "clean eating" or whatever, but because I can be full and not cranky for the same amount of calories. Also drink lots of water! I average 8-10 cups on week days and I feel SO much better on those days! Hope this helps, good luck!! :)
  • saiward
    saiward Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this...what is TDEE?????
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    OP, there isn't going to be a blanket response that's gonna make you happy. It's all individual. It's based on a lot of different things.

a 163lb man that's 33 years old... and 5'8... is gonna be completely different than a 163lb man that's 40 and 6'2... and so on, and so forth.

figure out your own numbers and go from there.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

in short. the method works. stick with it.

I went to the accurate calorie calculator. That thing is awesome. One problem. On the drop down where you have to select a goal, "maintenance" isn't an option. And none of the options fit me. How do I figure out accurate calories if I'm on maintenance and don't want to lose/gain fat/muscle/weight?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    OP, there isn't going to be a blanket response that's gonna make you happy. It's all individual. It's based on a lot of different things.

a 163lb man that's 33 years old... and 5'8... is gonna be completely different than a 163lb man that's 40 and 6'2... and so on, and so forth.

figure out your own numbers and go from there.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

in short. the method works. stick with it.

I went to the accurate calorie calculator. That thing is awesome. One problem. On the drop down where you have to select a goal, "maintenance" isn't an option. And none of the options fit me. How do I figure out accurate calories if I'm on maintenance and don't want to lose/gain fat/muscle/weight?

look again. it's in the "your results" area. Middle column.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks for the tips.
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Hi

I am 44, eating 1800-2000 calories and losing weight using the TDEE method. I just started it about 3-4 weeks ago and have been losing consistently when doing it. Hope this helps!
  • ecassidy1974
    ecassidy1974 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi my calorie goal is 1370 daily, I earn on an average 500-600 calorie by exercise and daily life activities. I haven't shed a pound. I am 5 3 and have a thyroid problem...my husband has already lost 8 pounds following plan. Any suggestions? I try not to eat all my calories gained by exercise...would love feed back!