do you make yourself eat

Options
2»

Replies

• Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I think the problem occurs when you don't eat and then binge later. If that's not a problem for you, I don't think one day of eating less is going to hurt anything. You can just add it to a day later this week when you are hungry.
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I usually am not hungry at breakfast time on my 3 weeks away from home, because I wake up work so early but I eat any how. It's not like I have to force myself . I just know I must eat at that time or there is a possibility I will no be able to eat until noon . I have dealt with that once and It will not happen again..... So I eat even if I am not "really " hungry....

Amy
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    Never had that problem. I LOVE to eat!!! I eat every last calorie I can....
    That is probably why I gained so much weight in the first place.
    Never quite understood people that "couldn't" eat their calories.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, just to improve your calorie count? I. Really don't feel like eating, not hungry at all, but I haven't eaten anything today. So am I supposed to force myself to eat something?

Even if I don't feel hungry, I'll make a sandwich or some such by noon at the latest. I never regret it. You don't have to force yourself to sit down to an entire meal, but it's better to get something in your stomach. Food is fuel.
  • dctexas65
    dctexas65 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have some really bad habits that I am trying to undo so I have to force myself to eat. Let me explain:

Old/current habits:
    830am Coffee 1030 Protein Drink 6pm Dinner 8pm Dessert/Alcohol
    Meanwhile I am so tired I barely have the energy to walk or even breath, not good for my body.

Current/New Habits
    830am Coffee and Protein Drink 1230 Lunch 7pm Dinner 8pm Dessert
    Trying to learn to eat to see if it will improve my energy levels, will eventually incorporate snacks and healthier desserts.

I do NOT have a problem eating any amount of calories per day
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I get hungry. As soon as I start moving around. If it is a Saturday and I just lay on the couch in the morning, I'm not hungry. But once I get up and actually do something, then I get hungry. Since most days I don't just lay around and do nothing, then I eat. If I did lay around and do nothing, then I would have a lower calorie goal. Food = Fuel.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I'm on Atkins, which naturally suppresses appetite. So, at times, yes I have to force myself to stick with the plan and eat.

Rarely, but sometimes, I'll wake up ravenous and want to eat eggs, meat, and buckets of cheese!
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    lol wish i had that problem.
    Ditto :laugh: There's always space for more in the T-Rex GI tract :laugh: But to the OP, if I had your problem, no I wouldn't eat more. I'm sure you'll get hungry some other day so you can eat over then. I monitor weekly trends more than daily.
  • peanutbutterrunna
    Options
    Honestly, for me it isn't a problem of "i'm not hungry enough to eat up to my calorie goal", it is convincing myself that I am allowed to go up to 1300 or 1400 if I am hungry after dinner and want a snack. Years of dieting have me paranoid to eat back exercise calories or go above 1200, but I'm working past that.

Me too man. Me too.
  • Tandy777
    Tandy777 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have gained a ton of weight because I HAVEN'T been hungry so don't eat .. drinking a ton of water further fils me up. So your body goes into survival mode cause it thinks its being starved so it hold on to whatever food you get & the pounds start packing on even though you're not eating. It plays havoc with your blood sugar too. I try to force myself to eat SOMETHING every 2 hrs to keep the metabolism raised, especially a small piece of protein.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I have gained a ton of weight because I HAVEN'T been hungry so don't eat .. drinking a ton of water further fils me up. So your body goes into survival mode cause it thinks its being starved so it hold on to whatever food you get & the pounds start packing on even though you're not eating. It plays havoc with your blood sugar too. I try to force myself to eat SOMETHING every 2 hrs to keep the metabolism raised, especially a small piece of protein.

This is a total myth

The pounds cannot "pack on" if you are in a deficit, it just will not happen, it goes against the laws of physics.

There is no need to force yourself to eat every two hours just to keep your metabolism raised, the metabolism is a bit hardier than that.
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I do not force myself to eat when I'm not that hungry but there is a really good reason. I won't bore you with details however if you really wanna know, send me a message!
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you've really eaten NOTHING - then yes, I'd force myself to eat something - a peanut butter shake, fruit, something heavy in protein and/or nutrients. Not eating could end up catching up with you later - either having no energy, a headache, a stomach ache, or just plainly being starving the next day!

If you're just lower on calories for the day than usual - then no, I'd just let it be.

For me, not being hungry is usually a sign that I must be sick though! :yawn:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Well, right now I'm shovelling down half a tin of corned beef. :sick:
  • KimLovesDon
    KimLovesDon Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I think I wasn't hungry because it was just too hot to eat. When it's really hot weather, I'm not hungry. I did eat something at dinner time. And I drank bunches of water too.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I think the problem occurs when you don't eat and then binge later. If that's not a problem for you, I don't think one day of eating less is going to hurt anything. You can just add it to a day later this week when you are hungry.

this makes good sense- our bodies natural cues for hunger and nutrition got screwed up for we wouldn't be where we are today so it is important to listen to what your body is telling you and accommodate the natural changes in it
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I honestly and truly don't understand how there are so many people on here that have significant amounts of weight to lose asking about making themselves eat because they're not hungry. Same thing I never understood way back when I did Weight Watchers when people would constantly say, "I can't eat that much food!" ... No judgement. Just observation and true perplex-ed-ness. <-- What? Shut up. :P

I got fat because I ate A LOT. I can still eat A LOT. I'm always hungry, always.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    If you've really eaten NOTHING - then yes, I'd force myself to eat something - a peanut butter shake, fruit, something heavy in protein and/or nutrients. Not eating could end up catching up with you later - either having no energy, a headache, a stomach ache, or just plainly being starving the next day!

If you're just lower on calories for the day than usual - then no, I'd just let it be.

For me, not being hungry is usually a sign that I must be sick though! :yawn:
    ^^^ I agree. If you haven't eaten anything at all, then yes, you might want to make yourself eat something. I've never had that problem.

I will say that the other day, I ate a big snack before bed because I was way under calories. That was stupid in hindsight. The next day, I decided that I'm not going to eat at the end of the day just to get myself to my calories goal. I'm sure I'll make up for lower calories days on the weekend.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    It depends on how far under I am.

If I actually feel sick, I don't force myself to eat more than my body wants to.