pasta

Options
lloydrt
lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
Just wondered how you guys dealt with my all time favorite, Pasta

I love it, but from what I kind of gathered, its good, but be careful. I know its good in Complex Carbohydrate (Barilla Multi Grain) , thats what I buy, I stopped buying the plain white kind ( refined and processed), but kind of wondered how many times a week you guys eat it, and how much do you eat at one sitting, lol

Again, for the most, Im into raw fruits and vegs, no processed foods, other that pasta, and just would like any info about effects of eating pasta.......Thanks for all the nice posts sent to me, its great to have such supportive friends......Lloyd

Replies

• iamkimmie
    iamkimmie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Pasta is my biggest weakness. I could eat it as a meal daily. I also only eat the whole wheat pastas to incorporate a little bit of nutritional value into my poor meal choice. Eating a lot of pasta, especially after not eating it for awhile, makes me feel squishy and tired. I have noticed that when I do eat a larger portion of it, I feel bloated for the rest of the day and when I wake up the next day, and I feel like I have less energy. I guess it's because I cut a lot of my bad carbs out when I started watching what I was eating. What I have done to get my pasta fix is boil a cup of rotini (1 serving) and add half of a can of diced tomatoes. It's really tasty, and when I do it for lunch the quantity is perfect and I get my fix. Plus canned tomatoes are awesome for you and very low cal.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I like pasta but I don't love it, so that is good for me. I also eat wheat pasta only, and I don't make it as the main dish, only as a side dish and it is usually mixed with sautte spinach, fresh tomatoes, brocolli, zucchini or what ever vegetable I have around.

I only eat pasta once a week, at the most, and sometimes much less than that. I don't eat pasta in a restaurant, even if they offer the wheat version because the portions are too big. I am tired of leaving restaurants with a "doggy bag," and sometimes is not practical or possible unless I go straing home
  • qifitness
    qifitness Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    How good is pasta?

Ask a professional athlete!
    Fantastic stuff, if you avoid sauces/dressings high in fat.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies.......I kinda need to watch the amt I eat, and the days a week I eat it

Iam kimmie..........I watched a DR OZ show, and now they are saying tomatoes, and tomatoe sauce, or tomatoes, help in redcuing the chances of getting cancers.......kinda cool, huh

not only do we get to eat healthy, its good for us.....Drizzle some olive oil on your tomatoes too, it does something for a reaction with is great for your body.....Thank you everyone for the replies. Lloyd
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options

Very informative!! Thanks for sharing, iamkimmie! :flowerforyou:
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I eat pasta, rice, or potatoes daily, sometimes twice daily. I know that isn't a popular thing to do on here, but I need the extra carbs for my plan as I eat 70% carbs, 15% protein, and 15% fat. Because of my exercise level and medical history, that is the plan that works best for me. So, I don't limit the complex carbs at all. I prefer the whole wheat pastas and brown rice, but I'll eat white if that is all that is available.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    We only eat pasta maybe once a week. I'm very excited to have my MIL for a week soon b/c then I can make my own pasta.. perhaps I'll start making pasta on the weekend so I can just make it from scratch, so much better
  • Certified_Femail
    Certified_Femail Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hey I just wanted to say that I am growing fresh basil and I have made pesto in my food processer. I use not very much olive oil and I use more water, garlic and salt and parma cheese. I am going to look for lite parma today not sure if they have it but I used fresh and it was great. Its kinda a splurge for me because its not the lowest of cals lol. But the water makes it much much lower. I cooked my yellow squash i grew and made that with onions and the pasta was the side dish so I wouldnt eat as much....
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    check for dreamfield's and sugarbane low carb versions on amazon or netrition sites. i shred zucchini and do spaghetti squash as substitutes. here's a link:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/b/2008/06/14/low-carb-pasta-alternatives.htm
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Hey I just wanted to say that I am growing fresh basil and I have made pesto in my food processer. I use not very much olive oil and I use more water, garlic and salt and parma cheese. I am going to look for lite parma today not sure if they have it but I used fresh and it was great. Its kinda a splurge for me because its not the lowest of cals lol. But the water makes it much much lower. I cooked my yellow squash i grew and made that with onions and the pasta was the side dish so I wouldnt eat as much....

You can add a handful of spinach to add moisture, and then need less olive oil to make the sauce (and the spinach helps keep the green really green (because it doesn't brown like basil.)

Also, if you briefly blanch the basil, it won't brown, either...
  • Certified_Femail
    Certified_Femail Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    O wow thank you both so much. I have never in my life heard of spegetti squash. I was trying to figure out what it was saying to use your fork to make strands.. I was thinking at first you can use your regular zuc squash lol.....I had to research farther to see there is a real squash called that . And thank you also for the spinich idea. Very cool im going to look for a spegetti squash
  • Wendybirduk
    Wendybirduk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    We are having wholemeal pasta once a week.

Get a tin of chopped tomato, mix with chilli flakes, fresh garlic and a small dash of either tomato puree or ketchup (optional but we find it adds a little something to the flavour). Simmer until it thickens then voila! A tasty low fat, low cal sauce! We have a small portion of pasta (100 g each) but add 1 chicken breast between the 2 of us - diced small and fried with chilli and garlic (and a very very small splash of Extra Virgin Olive Oil).

Very filling! (you might have noticed the chilli and garlic element? lol Loves me those chillies and garlic!)
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It's certainly not something that is 'banned' but I do watch the portions and apply moderation.
    We eat wholemeal pasta about once a week with a tomato-based sauce, lean protein and lots of green veggies or salad.
    This week is healthified spaghetti and meatballs :)