Feeling Fat in Texas

Options
Texas may be land of big hair but of late it seems that it's also land of big behinds, mine being one of them. I got a real wake up call last week at the doctor's office. I got weighed.

OMFG!!!!

I almost fell off the scale. I have to "do something" about the 100# or so I need to lose. I refuse to have a surgery to lose weight. Surgeries and injuries may have helped to put me in this situation but I don't see how hacking off part of my stomach is going to make me healthier. I know one person who did it and she's in and out of the hospital with bleeding ulcers and all kinds of other nastiness. I'm of the theory that we have the various parts of our bodies for a reason and that unless something is seriously wrong with them (gangrene, cancer, etc.) they should be left attached.

Anyway, I'm here now and I'll be working on losing weight. Anyone want to join up and encourage each other, message away....

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I am thin in CANADA
    nice to meet ya.
    kick some butt!
  • Booksflutterby
    Booksflutterby Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm a native Texan living in Washington state now. My home state is the land of big behinds (mine also being one of them) thanks to amazing food! I'm trying to lose about 40 more pounds, and it's not easy. But I'm not giving up or giving in. I will lose it. If you want some support and encouragement, add me as a friend. I know I can use all the help I can get.
  • cfergusontx
    Options
    Dallas native here!
  • NekaMaye88
    NekaMaye88 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm a native Texan living in Washington state now. My home state is the land of big behinds (mine also being one of them) thanks to amazing food! I'm trying to lose about 40 more pounds, and it's not easy. But I'm not giving up or giving in. I will lose it. If you want some support and encouragement, add me as a friend. I know I can use all the help I can get.

I am also a native Texas looking to MOVE to Washington state. I am curious...how long ago did you move to Washington? Why did you want to move there? How was the transition for you?
  • NekaMaye88
    Options
    Texas may be land of big hair but of late it seems that it's also land of big behinds, mine being one of them. I got a real wake up call last week at the doctor's office. I got weighed.

OMFG!!!!

I almost fell off the scale. I have to "do something" about the 100# or so I need to lose. I refuse to have a surgery to lose weight. Surgeries and injuries may have helped to put me in this situation but I don't see how hacking off part of my stomach is going to make me healthier. I know one person who did it and she's in and out of the hospital with bleeding ulcers and all kinds of other nastiness. I'm of the theory that we have the various parts of our bodies for a reason and that unless something is seriously wrong with them (gangrene, cancer, etc.) they should be left attached.

Anyway, I'm here now and I'll be working on losing weight. Anyone want to join up and encourage each other, message away....

I completely understand the feeling. I still have roughly 80 lbs I would like to lose after having lost 84 lbs already. I am with you girl! I live in Dallas and it is not an easy feat, no matter where you live. Here for support if you need it! :)
  • CoachRicardo
    Options
    Standing ovation for deciding to take action and taker control of your health. As someone who has lost 90lbs himself, I realize that was not an easy step. Way to hold yourself accountable by posting here! Love it! Best advice I can give you is to keep it healthy. Short term fast fixes will only get you back to where you started. This is a lifestyle not a DIET. Second piece of advice, write out your WHY. Keep asking yourself why you want to do this. Keep drilling it down. ie. to look skinny...why? TO fit into a bikini....why is that important? Drill it down to you really discover your why. Then when things get tough, refer back to that why and let it drive you. You can do this!
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Austin native here! Ha! I wish for a big booty. :P hahaha
    Good luck!
  • knucklesammie
    knucklesammie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    great job on taking the initiative to change your life!! i am a houstonian myself, and know how easy it is to let the weight catch on, since no one seems to walk in this state - and fast food is so abundant! you can do it! i love this website for community support, hope you find it equally motivating.
  • Wayne092
    Wayne092 Posts: 23
    Options
    Amarillo here! As mentioned, congrats on getting the journey started. Add me if you like.
  • Booksflutterby
    Booksflutterby Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I am also a native Texas looking to MOVE to Washington state. I am curious...how long ago did you move to Washington? Why did you want to move there? How was the transition for you?

I moved here in 2001 and love it! The summers are so much better than Texas heat, and I don't miss the storms in the Dallas area. I moved here because my family had slowly moved up here one-by-one (mom, brothers), and after my divorce I thought, why not? The transition was a little tough at first. The people in the area I'm living in now aren't as friendly and open as Texans. It's like they made friends in grade school and didn't have room for anyone else. Now that I've been here several years, I've met some great people and would never move back to Texas, even though it will always be home in my heart. I'm on the eastern side of the state. The western side, where Seattle is located, may be different as far as people go. I HIGHLY recommend the move. It's a gorgeous state.
  • NekaMaye88
    Options

I moved here in 2001 and love it! The summers are so much better than Texas heat, and I don't miss the storms in the Dallas area. I moved here because my family had slowly moved up here one-by-one (mom, brothers), and after my divorce I thought, why not? The transition was a little tough at first. The people in the area I'm living in now aren't as friendly and open as Texans. It's like they made friends in grade school and didn't have room for anyone else. Now that I've been here several years, I've met some great people and would never move back to Texas, even though it will always be home in my heart. I'm on the eastern side of the state. The western side, where Seattle is located, may be different as far as people go. I HIGHLY recommend the move. It's a gorgeous state.

Thanks so much for the insight! I visited Vancouver, WA last year to visit my friends that had also moved up there from Dallas and I fell in LOVE with the area! I also fell in love with Portland and could see myself living there as well. The weather was cool, but perfect and I think economy just makes me a bit nervous as far as looking for work and a place to live in the mean time, although I'm sure my friends there would offer their home to me until I am able to make it. I'm glad to hear the positives and negatives about it, especially from someone who is also from Dallas. Thank you SO much again! :)
  • jnninn
    jnninn Posts: 34
    Options
    I live in Texas too! I love it here but there is a TON of temptation! Im sending you a friend request.
  • MeowSkull
    MeowSkull Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Fellow Texan here too ;) It's hell being fat in this heat and humidity! Congrats on starting your journey to take control :drinker:
  • nettagyrl78
    nettagyrl78 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am in Texas too. Not a native, but a Texan at heart. I am new and just started on this site. Looking for encouragement and to give encouragement as well :smile:
  • nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the forums, and may your journey be forever life changing.