I'm going out to a Mexican restaurant tonight

Options
Alioops831
Alioops831 Posts: 207 Member
I'm trying to not eat too many carbs. Suggestions?

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    ... Good luck.
  • horrorstory
    horrorstory Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about it and enjoy yourself.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Fajitas without the tortillas or a salad.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Leave the nachos and tortillas a alone.
    Have a load of chicken breast or fajita meat and salad.
    Thats what I eat when I go to mexican restaurants. Bring on the MEAT!! and stack up with salad and cheese.
    A few margaritas wouldnt go amiss either LOL
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I agree! Just eat some fajitas (steak, chicken or mix), salad. No rice, no tortilla :)

It's really easy and so enjoyable :)
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Fajitas, no tortillas. Taco salad, without the tortilla bowl. Add guacamole or avocados to whatever. Delicious.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Dont worry about it and enjoy yourself.

Why undermine her?
  • MamaMaryC
    MamaMaryC Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Ooo. Mexican food always gets me. :D Good luck.

Avoid the rice, tortilla chips, rice, and tortillas. Maybe look for some grilled chicken with a small veggie side.
  • thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I usually find a grilled chicken and veggie dish - but the grilled veg is usually cooked in an oil bath...but black beans aren't so bad. My problem is the chips - they're my achilles heel.

I bargain with myself and get an Ice-T sans sugar and eat just a few chips vs my old routine of a large margarita and 2 bowls of chips.

The more authentic places vs your Tex-mex should have decent fish items to choose from. If all else fails, I'd try fajitas.
  • Celticgal100
    Celticgal100 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Mexican food is my kryptonite! I usually cave and have my regular bean and cheese burrito with a side of beans, rice, sour cream and guacamole. I know that isn't helpful. ;)

You could go with a black bean soup, gazpacho and tell them no chips please!
  • Celticgal100
    Celticgal100 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Fajitas are a great idea! Just pass on the tortillas!
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    This is supposed to be a no-brainer, but I'll say it anyway: skip the chips and salsa.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Margaritas!!! :drinker:
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I usually do fajitas with no tortillas, no rice & beans or whatever their camarones (shrimp) dish is. Most Mexican places have at least one camarones dish - usually it's jumbo shrimp sauteed in garlic and spices. I usually allow myself about a dozen chips with salsa.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    A huge marinated steak...any Mexican restaurant worth it's salt will have marinated meat
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    PS where are you going in IL so I can judge if it's authentic enough?
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Camarones rancheros, and skip the rice and tortillas. Just shrimp and veggies that way.
  • Fat422long
    Fat422long Posts: 29
    Options
    If your going to a Major chain type they usually have alternative options if you ask.

-Stay away from the free chips, sometimes I order a side of guacamole and eat salsa and guac on a fork LOL. My place has carrots/celery with ranch as an option.
    -steamed veggies instead of Refried Beans and rice or if they have Ranchero beans that are no fried.
    - go for a baked fish dish, salad with dressing on the side or just use the guac and salsa. Fajitas with no tortillas, soup as long as it is not cream based, Tacos without the shell is something I order a lot.

Mexican is one of the easier places to pick smarter choices. Good luck and have a good time!
  • cynthiah24
    cynthiah24 Posts: 10
    Options
    Any kind of taco.. just ask for lettuce to wrap them instead of torillas :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    alcohol is good, tequila, rum??
    yum.