beachbody or other workouts suggestions

Options
I have been looking on beachbody website and looking at some weight loss programs to try.

any suggestions, comments, experiences you like to share. ALL much appreciated.

hint something not insanity or p90x type. I want something fun and easy for beginner.

-- Carrie

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You would do best spending that money on equipment and following youtube vids on how to best use the equipment. Could be anything from adjustable dumbbells, to kettlebells, to my personal favorite: sandbag and suspension trainer.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    look for Craig Ballantyne's Home Workout Revolution and check it out.
  • dwags25
    dwags25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam and Slim in 6 are both great programs for beginners wanting to do a program through beachbody
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have Turbo Fire and I love it. I use it among other activities as opposed to doing the "program" - but it's fun and I feel it the next day! Look on amazon or ebay, too - you might find it for a better price. I don't like Beachbody as a company, but that workout is fun.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you want to do something with weights, I like ChaLean Extreme. But buy it off ebay. Less hassle.
  • kelsieowen3
    Options
    I agree with the other post. Your money would be better spent on equipment. If you are interested in the beachbody programs (which many use body weight exercises) I suggest looking into BodyRockTV; it's free (last I checked) and on the web. Or simply look up the routines and youtube them to see if you can find anything that shows the different moves. I have purchased insanity and although I liked it I get more gains out of lifting and using equipment. I have not looked into any of the other programs (besides p90x) but have seen the commercials for hip hop abs. I would recommend just buying a cheap zumba dvd if that is what you are interested in. In my opinion beachbody is a little overpriced when you can get similar workouts for cheaper somewhere else or even free on the web.
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Jillian's 30 Day Shred was a great workout for me when I first started. Not too challenging and you actually see results. Plus it's way cheaper than the beach body workout programs.
  • Syreetta
    Syreetta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam is a great one!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    You would do best spending that money on equipment and following youtube vids on how to best use the equipment. Could be anything from adjustable dumbbells, to kettlebells, to my personal favorite: sandbag and suspension trainer.

This. While most of the programs are fine, they can be quite expensive. And you'll have to buy the equipment anyway.
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I love TurboFire also, but it's not exactly easy. I would suggest maybe starting with Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred (you can watch it free on YouTube), I lost my first 40 pounds doing Leslie Sansones Walk Away the Pounds.

The Beachbody programs are great, but they are $expensive$. If you really want them check Craigslist. That is where I got my TurboFire and it was only 25$ instead of the 100$+ they charge new. Mine didn't come with the resistance bands, but for another 10$ I am still saving money.

If you have OnDemand from your cable company they have a lot of exercises under Sports and Fitness section.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    As for Beachbody, Turbo Fire is fun. Hip Hop Abs and Rockin Body (both Shaun T) are only $20. Check out Fitness Blender on YouTube, they have a variety of workouts for strength and cardio for free. Also check out your local library, its a great way to try out different workout programs before you pay for them. Though don't expect them to have all of them.
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    There are lots of Videos on youtube that you could follow. But if you are looking at Beachbody, the POWER 90 series is nice and fairly easy. I still use them frequently. They are very beginner friendly. It is definitely not as hard as the P90X program.

$60
    http://www.teambeachbody.com/workout-routines/power-90-workout
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    compound lifts....
  • Ness8411
    Ness8411 Posts: 44
    Options
    you can go on fitnessblender.com (youtube channel). they have FREE you tube videos. I am currently following an 8 Weeks Fat Loss Program. It's on a PDF file and you can just view the videos on YouTube for free.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Sit ups, pull ups, chin ups, deep knee bends, squats.....etc.

The basics get you going and work great. When ur ready to "sculpt", then spend money. Also, some people won't actually do the work (important if your going to benefit from a "work"out) unless they've invested a bunch of money. And some of those still fall off the wagon, and their investment gathers dust.

Start simple. You'll be amazed how much improvement you can get before you need to invest in products and services. REMEMBER: a workout requires that you WORK. See if you can keep up the "work" doing the simple, no-cost exercises above, before you start plunking money down.

My 2 cents. Many with invested interest (customer or vendor) will disagree with me since they have to mentally justify the money they have spent or are asking you to spend. Beware snake oil salespersons.
  • Kennesaw24
    Kennesaw24 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    When I was just starting out I used Jari Love's Get Ripped and Chiseled (the purple DVD box). It was great (liked it better than all her other stuff, too); I found this at Amazon and it's cheap. You need some dumbells and that's about it (5-12 pounds if you're just starting).

It was the basics, and it was challenging. In six weeks I saw and felt a difference and I was confident enough for the gym. I haven't looked back and it's been 3 1/2 years.

Since then I've used BodyRockTV (challenging, short workouts that I've also incorporated at gym), The Women'sHealth Big Book of Exercises, BuffMother YouTube workouts, and whenever I need a new exercise for a different body part, I just type in the body part + 'exercise' at YouTube and find great videos.

Good luck!
  • Kennesaw24
    Kennesaw24 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    In fact, if you want my Jari Love DVD for FREE, email me your address and I'll send it to you. It's literally been sitting on my shelf for three years without being used! staci.w@mindspring.com
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Gun to my head: I love Focus T25 and Les Mills Combat.
    Both programs have a great blend of cardio and weight/resistance training.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Harking on what's been said before in here: You should check out youtube. I love the blogilates channel, but there are a looot of channels to pick from on there and it's free.

I think the only thing about BeachBody's merchandise that's the catch is that it's not expensive to buy from them, it's not inexpensive to buy from them ... but there's no way of telling whether or not you're actually going to like it until you buy it, which will definitely make it a waste of money if you get it and don't enjoy the workout. You might be able to find some of their stuff used on amazon.com, so if you really want to try something from BB I'd start there. I really liked their YBB, TurboJam, and Brazil Butt Lift series, but I moved on from them pretty quick because the same workouts all the time gets pretty dull.
  • j3an22
    j3an22 Posts: 77
    Options
    what is les mills combat? is it kickboxing type like tapout xt?