how to effectively use MFP

Options
I am new to this site as of today and excited to jump start my change in habits. How do YOU use MFP daily? How do you stay on top of things? I am really looking for some great advice on how to effectively use MFP.

Replies

• rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    log log log
    daily daily daily

I have to do everything daily, even weigh-in or I will forget and it will never happen.

Just seeing in actuality what I've put in my mouth helps a LOT.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I agree - log in every thing daily - be totally honest with yourself - if you are embarrassed that you went over your calorie goals, or didn't exercise enough, or whatever, you can choose to not make your diary public. The key is that this is for you, so it is in your best interest to be totally honest. I like to log in what I eat as soon as I've finished a meal - that way I am not forgetting anything - the same with my exercise.

Check out the nutritional information carefully before adding to your food diary from the database. Sometimes the information is inaccurate due to changes in packaging, etc. by the manufacturers.

Add friends - they can really be helpful if you get stuck or feel like giving up.

Vickie
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm very lucky in that I can eat all my meals at home if I want to (I live close to my work and drive home for lunch). I check in to the site every morning and oftentimes before meals, while things are cooking. Sometimes I plan my "food day" out beforehand and fill out my entire day in the morning, adjusting later in the day if needed. Thinking about what I'm going to eat throughout the day also helps me stay focused if, say, a box of donuts shows up at the office.

The other thing that really helps me is having an electronic food scale, so I can weigh out my food, as well as having measuring cups on hand. I know measuring things out is a pain to some people, but it really keeps me on track since I've had portion distortion my entire life.

Additionally, while I'm losing, I tend to eat meals somewhat repetitively and save them under the "my meals" option. That way, entering my calories is really simple. Again, some people get bored with eating the same thing repeatedly, but this is what works for me.

Good luck!
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Log daily, the food part of the application is great! I even try planning out my meals ahead of time too, it helps to keep me on track during the day. I love it. But ALWAYS be honest about it. You can set it to private like vickie said if you want.
  • rbcca19
    Options
    Thanks so much for your advice!! I can use all the advice I can get. I am a stay at home mom, so I have no excuses when it comes to adding things to MFP!
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Log early, log often, log everything.

I find I have the best success when I plan ahead and log before I eat. It keeps me from increasing my portions beyond what is planned and from thinking (incorrectly) "just one won't hurt."

And be completely honest. Just because you don't log it, doesn't mean you didn't eat it.

And remember - MFP is a tool to assist you in learning a new way of life. Making healthy choices and getting physical is a part of that healthy life. MFP just helps you keep track of it. In the end, only your dedication will get you there.

Also, use the boards to learn a little. There are plenty of people who can get you started with learning a little more about how your body works. Not everyone on the boards is an expert, so don't take anything anyone says as the gospel, but there are often research articles link and plenty of useful information. Knowledge is your weapon in this battle!

Good luck!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Like the others are saying. Log it. Think of yourself as your own boss of your company which is your body. As boss you need to keep track of all the costs to keep a body working so you can make a profit which is reaching your weight loss goal. It really works you just need to stay on top to stay on track. Good luck!
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Looks like everyone has already told you the most important part about logging everything, so I'll just say Hello and welcome!
  • Wendybirduk
    Wendybirduk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I agree with the log everything comments! I have only been on this site 6 days and have found the food diary such an immense help! It makes me be totally honest with myself and not cheat.

I am sure you will find this place an amazing source of support and motivation as I have. First weekly weigh in for me tomorrow *gulp*

Have fun and as everybody has said "Be Honest with what you eat and Log it all!"

Welcome to the site. x