Follow up question to all these TDEE posts?!

Options
2»

Replies

• TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I went to the Scooby thing but I had to pick a "goal" and none of the goal options were "maintenance", which is where I am now. So how do I figure it out if I'm not looking to lose/gain fat/muscle/pounds?

Just eat TDEE.. don't take any cuts. There's maintenance!

Step 6 requires you to select a goal which is part of how the TDEE is calculated. So how do I calculate my maintenance TDEE without having any one of those goals?
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks!

I was also speaking in general terms...I know that outside of MFP and the Scooby site that office workers (even those that workout daily) are considered to be sedentary. This is because they are sitting for 8-9 hours/day plus commute time.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I went to the Scooby thing but I had to pick a "goal" and none of the goal options were "maintenance", which is where I am now. So how do I figure it out if I'm not looking to lose/gain fat/muscle/pounds?

Step 6 requires you to select a goal which is part of how the TDEE is calculated. So how do I calculate my maintenance TDEE without having any one of those goals?

If you plug in any type of loss as your goal it will tell you what your intake should be for each day if you wanted to maintain.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options

If you plug in any type of loss as your goal it will tell you what your intake should be for each day if you wanted to maintain.

Gotcha. Thanks so much!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    You're most welcome.

Here's a helpful post about figuring out what activity level you are: http://www.oishiberry.com/2013/01/lifestyle-activity-level-are-you.html
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I set my activity level at active even though I work at an office during the day, I work at a barn in the barn in the afternoon/evening and every weekend so my activities add up to anywhere between 600-1000 calories before working out.

My TDEE is currently around 2800, I eat between 1800-2300 daily and do not eat exercise calories back. I'm losing 1.5 - 2 lbs/week.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Try this calc - it lets you put in more specifics - http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

I saw that link calculator along time ago - Very inaccurate I think :( Would be great if it was not however it was 1000 calories over for me
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Just to make life confusing I hybridise the two - I use scoobys at lightly active (am a livestock farmer), and plug those values into MFP - I then eat back any exercise cals for workouts I do. This means I don't have to worry if I can't get to the gym for whatever reason.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Try this calc - it lets you put in more specifics - http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

I saw that link calculator along time ago - Very inaccurate I think :( Would be great if it was not however it was 1000 calories over for me

Not sure how it could be 1000 over for you unless you forgot to click the female because the default is the male. On this calculator you are the one that puts in how much time each day you are doing each activity. it is the most specific calculator I have seen. It's been about equal to my body media fit.
  • chasetwins
    Options

Not sure how it could be 1000 over for you unless you forgot to click the female because the default is the male. On this calculator you are the one that puts in how much time each day you are doing each activity. it is the most specific calculator I have seen. It's been about equal to my body media fit.

Nope female and I have a fit bit so I know my activity levels and for how long. Entered them in and it said I burn over 3000 in a 24 hour period where Body Media and Fitbit both have me just over 2000.

Without entering in ANY activity and keeping it as sitting for 24 hours is about equal to what Body media fit bit and MFP says I burn and what my BMR is ?!?! I enter ANY activity and it is way off.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    It is better to be safe than sorry. I'd do sedentary and eat back exercise calories. I'd hate to gain because I wasn't being accurate. That way if you miss your bike rides due to weather you don't have to worry or make a big adjustment.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Nope female and I have a fit bit so I know my activity levels and for how long. Entered them in and it said I burn over 3000 in a 24 hour period where Body Media and Fitbit both have me just over 2000.

Without entering in ANY activity and keeping it as sitting for 24 hours is about equal to what Body media fit bit and MFP says I burn and what my BMR is ?!?! I enter ANY activity and it is way off.

Interesting. I had a huge difference between fitbit and body media. I thought the fitbit was really low, like 300-400 calories less than the body media daily. In the end, I'm sick of wearing all of the gadgets and nothing calculates the extra calories needed when lifting weights. I'm going with an estimate now because that is all any of these calculators are. We gotta keep tweaking the numbers until we find our sweet spot.
  • chasetwins
    Options

Interesting. I had a huge difference between fitbit and body media. I thought the fitbit was really low, like 300-400 calories less than the body media daily. In the end, I'm sick of wearing all of the gadgets and nothing calculates the extra calories needed when lifting weights. I'm going with an estimate now because that is all any of these calculators are. We gotta keep tweaking the numbers until we find our sweet spot.

Agree - I use the fitbit zip and gave up on the body media for that reason...I am NOT ok with wearing that thing all day everyday on my arm lol The zip no one ever sees :) It also helps motivate me if I am being lazy. I do think the zip is a bit lower than media but not enough off where it is an issue. MFP calculations for a typical burn on non active days are actually pretty close to fitbit's