Dear Lifters, I have a question?

Options
Hey guys,

So I tried starting Stronglifts up again earlier this summer, but I pasued due to knowing that my form wasn't quite right, and I didn't want to continue for fear of injury, etc.

My main concern is squats - I've always had terrible flexibility when it comes to squats, but when I'm just standing my feet naturally turn out and my knees turn in, so it's a bit awkward for me. When I squat and push my knees out, my feet are almost completely turned out. (I hope that makes sense?)

Basically, I think my feet are turning out way too much and I'm sure it's a flexibility issue. I read about the Squat to Stand warmup method, and I will be trying that, but was wondering if anyone else struggled with this and overcame it and had any other useful information? I just want to make sure I can lift without worrying about hurting myself. (:

Thank you!

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting in a gym that is staffed with any type of trainer, have them review your form. It'll be a LOT more effective than a bunch of people on the net trying to guess what you're talking about with how you're doing it...

...and if it comes down to lifting, I'm gonna make sure I get first hand information. Incorrect form could certainly lead to some lasting issues.
  • gensteele1
    gensteele1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    When you are squatting, think of it like sitting in a chair; never let your knees pass your toes. You will find it very awkward at first especially since it is a motion that your body does not perform often. You may also notice that you barely "squat". Take note, however, that in time, your body will adapt, become stronger and soon you will be "sitting" on the floor. It is easily for our feet to turn outwards; yes, I'm guilty of that as well. You just have to make a conscious effort in watching your form, i.e, knees over toes and hunched back. You will get there don't worry. Good luck!
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    Use an athletic stance for the squat so that your knees are slightly bent, feet are firmly planted on the ground, and toes pointed outwards slightly, which helps with stabilization. The wider you put your feet, the more it works your glutes and hamstring (back of the leg), and the easier it will be to stabilize. The closer in you put your feet, the more your quadriceps will be emphasized (the front of the leg).

One common mistake when people use too much weight is that one, or both knees will cave in towards their center. Make sure to keep your knees out and choose weight that is appropriate for your level.

Also, be sure to squat to parallel or you can do lasting damage to your joints.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    I have a right foot that turns out to the right due to some foot trauma and surgery, so I can't get it parallel to my left foot when I squat. I do 80 squats every other day. I worried about my form in the beginning but everything I was told, was, if you hold your knees correctly and your shoulders correctly and your footing is solid, it doesn't matter if they are turned a little in or out, if that is their intrinsic nature.

I have been doing squats for over 3 months and I have improved my squatting strength, overall leg and abdominal strength and have suffered NO injuries.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I believe correct form is for your knees to go over your toes. Having your toes point out makes it a sumo squat which is still as effective.
  • sara4159
    sara4159 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Might be time to bring in a professional who can help you in person. I found I have this problem as well, but not as pronounced as you, it sounds like. I was working with my yoga instructor to slowly work on bringing my knees into better work alignment. My problem is from a few years of working with horses.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    oh god just ask a trainer, don't even try to choose one of these responses
  • MaeRenee94
    MaeRenee94 Posts: 175
    Options
    My boyfriend has terrible flexibility and in a little less than a month he has completely transformed his squats.
    He youtube videos on how to stretch hips and looked up articles on stretching hips and ankles for squats.

The best stretch we have found that has helped me out tremendously is as follows(sorry if its hard to understand without pics):
    Stand facing a bar or in front of something you can hold on too in squatting position
    Keep feet at about shoulder with apart and feet slightly pointed outward(to where your knees follow the path without bringing your heels up when squatting)
    Now go as low as you can
    Grabbing the pole or whatever you chose keep your hands on it and use your elbows to push your knees.
    Now while doing this keep your heels on the ground your back straight and chest up.

Its really hard to explain but I'll try and take pictures at the gym tomorrow to show you what I mean!!!

All in all just look up some stretches and perform them daily.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If your feet are turning out naturally and it feels comfortable to you then that's fine. You don't need to force your feet to be face forward if your body isn't built that way.

Just take your legs slightly farther than shoulder width and let your feet do what's comfortable.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    A cue for you with your knees turning inward when you're standing;

Show your crotch off.

If you make a conscious effort to do so, you contract your glutes, push your hips forward into better alignment and forces your knees to externally rotate :D
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting in a gym that is staffed with any type of trainer, have them review your form. It'll be a LOT more effective than a bunch of people on the net trying to guess what you're talking about with how you're doing it...

...and if it comes down to lifting, I'm gonna make sure I get first hand information. Incorrect form could certainly lead to some lasting issues.

This! In fact you might find that hiring a trainer to help you with your squats & deadlifts will help you immensely and the trainer can even give you a good program for progression and assistance lifts.

Welcome back to lifting, you might like to join the powerlifting group on this site.
  • classictoaster
    Options

LOL - it's okay! I kind of got some good responses, but I agree I need to work with a trainer rather than "guess". (: I realized it was kind of silly trying to explain my situation.

I've done heavy weight squats before (last summer), so I know to go parallel and other general form must-dos. I've just been dealing with my feet being weird this time around.

Thanks for everyone's advice, though! I will take it into account.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    mobilitywod.com should help you with some flexibility issues... it teaches you mobility exercises, not just static stretches
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    If you need help with squats, start with box squats to get used to how deep you are supposed to go, and get used to the proper form.

Essentially, with the squat, what you want to aim for is whole body tension, bracing your muscles in anticipation of the whole body lift. You don't want to compromise your shoulders or round your back, you want to keep you back straight and braced, and pivot from the hips and knees, keeping the weight of the bar over the middle of your feet, or slightly towards the middle-back of your feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNGnxRxCWPo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edmMGoVIBW8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVNMMJnotnQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm1OYuX0-sI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUka0l0BFf8

I don't know why they are in 5 parts, but the guys over at Diesel have some seriously good videos on all kinds of lifts and proper form and technique. Watching their stuff taught me a lot.

I highly reccomend their Deadlift video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nRRlk6264I

And the Bench press video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUcjOIZc80c

While most women wouldn't think that the deadlift and bench press would target the muscle groups that most women want to tighten up and grow, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Women lack the hormonal profile to build muscle mass in any kind of rapid fashion. I'm sure you already know this, but the big 3 full body lifts are incredible for gaining muscle strength, building muscle endurance quickly, and making big gains.

I'm personally a fan of *reverse* pyramid training, Where you start with your heaviest set at the beginning, and step down in weight as your muscles fatigue.

For example, when I do my bench press, I do a very light weight, but perfect repetition warmup, maybe 60 or 80 pounds. Something like 2 sets of 3 or 4 repetitions is enough to get my ready for the full strength effort.

I set up the bar with 145, and I lift that, with perfect form x6. Then 3 minutes rest, and I step the weight down to 130 lbs, and do that x8. 3 min rest, and I do 125 x10.

I like the reverse pyramid because you put the highest weight on fresh muscles, it seems counter intuitive to increase the weight as they fatigue, but that's just my personal style. Find something that works for you!

But form is always critical, it will increase your lifting by several factors when you have good form
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    most trainers have jack clue how to squat. of the hundreds i've met and worked with, i can count on 1 hand the number who can teach squats properly.

to the OP, learn box squats.
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

So I tried starting Stronglifts up again earlier this summer, but I pasued due to knowing that my form wasn't quite right, and I didn't want to continue for fear of injury, etc.

My main concern is squats - I've always had terrible flexibility when it comes to squats, but when I'm just standing my feet naturally turn out and my knees turn in, so it's a bit awkward for me. When I squat and push my knees out, my feet are almost completely turned out. (I hope that makes sense?)

Basically, I think my feet are turning out way too much and I'm sure it's a flexibility issue. I read about the Squat to Stand warmup method, and I will be trying that, but was wondering if anyone else struggled with this and overcame it and had any other useful information? I just want to make sure I can lift without worrying about hurting myself. (:

Thank you!

There are good YouTube videos that show proper squat form, but best is to have someone well-versed in lifting to teach you the proper lifts in-person. Doesn't have to be a CPT of sorts but someone well-versed in lifting. I've taught squatting and deadlifting to my wife years back and she has perfect form, but it's technique. And practicing that technique over and over and over again is how you're going to get stellar form.
  • zipnguyen
    zipnguyen Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    good luck