sushi craving

Options
Hi guys,

I am currently fighting a sushi craving and wanted to know if anyone else ever gets this and how you cope? if you do get sushi, do you have any tricks or tips? also does anyone know a good place to go to figure out the ball park calories in your rolls? sushi used to be my favorite treat and my husband and i usually share two rolls but since starting my diet i haven't faced this challenge. any advice would really help.

Replies

• Adusenka
    Adusenka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think I wont be much help here... cos when I crave sushi, I go and get some sushi lol ^^

I thought there was nothing wrong with sushi and dieting :)
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    :laugh: i like the way you think but i just wanna stay on track and can't find enough info to help me do that with confidence.
  • John8188
    Options
    Make you own. Every time I want something I look up how to make it and then change the recipe a little to make it low cal
  • John8188
    Options
    Make you own. Every time I want something I look up how to make it and then change the recipe a little to make it low cal
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I don't eat the rolls so I'm not much help to you. You can probably get a basic ingredients list from the restaurant and add up the recipe ingredient by ingredient. But I would suggest staying away from the Americanized rolls. Try some simpler sushi's or even a veggie/cucumber/Cali roll.

My sushi rule of thumb is if it has more than three ingredients I don't get it.

And NO white sauces!
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    The sushi nutrient info on this site is pretty accurate. I eat sushi twice a week! I usually eat a ton so I make sure I eat a light lunch (light on cals not on amount :)).
  • Adusenka
    Adusenka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Wow :O americanized sushi and white sauce? Im kinda confused. I thought you meant the traditional japanese sushi rolls (maki, nigiri..) I love salmon and tuna maki :) and theres nothing bad about them, just fish, rice and nori..
  • shababa2809
    Options
    I love sushi so i know how you feel.
    But sushi is not really high in calories and if you only have two rolls or two piece of sushi then thats fine.once you dont go over board with it.
    Staying on track doesnt mean you have to give up everything you like, i honestly believe in portion size. If you want sushi then i honestly think you should atleast treat your self to twoo piece at least.
    It is not like sushi is unhealthy like for ex:(cookies,chips.ect) thoes thing you cant take in portion because there not healthy.

=] enjoy in portion just healthy choice
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I eat sushi every so often, I regard it as a better choice than a sandwich, calories are often lower and seeing as salmon is my favourite choice the fat is largely healthy omega 3. In the UK they sell it in packs in the supermarket so the nutritional info is on the pack. The main problem is the sodium level although most of that is from the soy sauce used for dipping.
  • Rivalee
    Options
    Here is the nutrition info on some basic rolls : http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm

When I crave it I decide ahead of time how many I'll have, and I stick to salmon nigiri (less rice means less calories, and it's soooo delicious) and california rolls. Stay far, far away from anything with tempura in it, and consider starting with a bowl of miso soup and drink a big pot of green tea along with it to help fill you.

It's delicious, just get to know your rolls and calories in them, and enjoy!
  • Mwaaaa
    Options
    I am also a huge fan of sushi! There are a few things you can do to make sure that your sushi is as healthy as possible. You can ask for brown rice instead of white or to have the sushi wrapped in cucumber or just eat Sashimi which is basically pure protein. Never order anything fried or with "crunchies" and stay away from the spicy mayo. A lot of places have the naruto roll which is either salmon or tuna with avocado wrapped in cucumber it is really yummy and healthy! Also always ask for low sodium soy sauce. You can also check out this website: http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-calories.htm
  • boomsmom
    boomsmom Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    We love sushi in my house and eat it at least 2 times a month. We eat a lot of seafood, period. My 3 1/2 year old even asks for sushi sometimes. It's one of his favorite things. It's all in moderation and every now and then a good treat. It's not bad for you at all. It's the fried stuff that is, stay away from the fried rolls. Tuna, salmon. Try some sashimi - rice and raw tuna (tekka don). Portion some of the rice and eat the tuna. Yum. Enjoy! It's not good to deprive yourself, then you just want it more. Just make good choices and you will be fine. Good Luck.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I eat sushi...... a lot. :laugh: I don't eat fast food so it's my "fast food" choice. :smile: I eat brown rice when available, stay away from sauces, fried, cream cheese stuffed rolls. Shashimi, or the basic rolls are good. I wouldn't get a cali roll because a lot of places put sauce in it. Sushi is pretty good for you :) So go ahead and enjoy that craving! mmmm Now I want Sushi for lunch! :laugh: I LOVE the avacado salad wraps too *drool*
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    great suggestions guys. My favorite rolls are the spicy things: King tuna roll- no rice just spicy tuna wrapped in tuna with spicy mayo and spicy sauce or the volcano roll which comes as large spicy tuna roll with rice and both crab or spicy tuna built up with the crunchies on top. i know americanized rolls.

thinking if we share our rolls (after picking at least healthier then before) and have a cucumber salad it may be ok if i eat well the rest of the day.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    What does a white sauce have to do with sushi?
    Nigiri sushi is the best!
    Rice, fish, wasabi, and nori. Dip into soy sauce and that's it! Healthy and so good! :love:

Makisushi (the rolls) is okay for a quick lunch too!
  • turbojanem
    Options
    I'm with others...avoid the fried items and those with mayo or condiments wrapped in them. Watch the soy sauce too...it can be high in sodium; it will be flushed out in a couple days, but if you are a "scale watcher" the water retention can drag you down. My theory is if i want something, figure out the calories and work it off before hand with some extra cardio for a couple of days. If i still want it, then i treat myself to that which i earned. However, when i see the results of doing more cardio, i typically don't want to blow the results and don't give into my cravings.
    Balance is the key to life. You won't always avoid your favorite foods...but for a season while you are loosing, may have to avoid or reduce the portion size.
  • ambercole
    Options
    I LOVE sushi but I LOVE it with soy sauce. Last time I ate sushi was 2 weeks ago and all the salt in the soy sauce made me gain 5lbs of water weight which is still with me!!! UGH! and i drink over a gallon of water a day so I figured it would be gone by now, but 3lbs of it is still hanging around!
  • beesus
    Options
    I'm a big proponent of not denying yourself anything - which can make your lifestyle change feel like a diet. When I'm hungry for something, I eat it - I just adjust the rest of day accordingly.
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    What does a white sauce have to do with sushi?
    Nigiri sushi is the best!
    Rice, fish, wasabi, and nori. Dip into soy sauce and that's it! Healthy and so good! :love:

Makisushi (the rolls) is okay for a quick lunch too!
    Around where I live, they like to come up with MASSIVE rolls of sushi stuffed with cream cheese and slathered in white sauce. There are also deep fried rolls that make me cringe.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    LoL!
    How much do you people drink that soy sauce?!
    It's just for taste so a small dip is enough! :tongue: